1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

States banning lab-grown meat

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by durvasa, May 3, 2024.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Industrialized Vs traditional farming. I know it at a higher level.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This isn’t an issue I’ve followed closely but if it’s a matter of labeling I fully agree lab grown meat should be clearly labeled and then let the market decide. I also think more research is needed into lab grown meat before it goes widespread.

At the moment though it seems like we are still a few years out before it is commercially viable.

3. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Soylent Green is people.

4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Playing devils advocate, the initial step might be understandable, but as it ramps up to scale, the process can rapidly change.

Like who wouldnt want cheap "beef" chockful of fortified vitamins and omega 3s all tailor made rather than added like a sprinkling of salt? It would be designed to metabolize similarly to veggies over direct vitamins.

I have a hunch the lab grown variety "looks" ugly much like how some farm raised salmon isn't the bright orange most people identify with.

But yeah, we have a food/appetite problem for cheap meats. The "beyond" variety caters to a wealthier "pro-informed" demographic who will tolerate chemical soups plus unnatural processing and pay a higher premium for the sake of novelty or identity.

It's neither healthier than meat nor addresses the sustainability issue.

I wouldn't push an outright ban with the concerns, but it would be prudent to gate it until the tools for detecting (synthetic) bullshit is as affordable as the process, which isn't the case right now.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Do you remember when the dairy industry sought government protection against its competitors? They couldn’t use the term ‘milk’ to describe non-dairy milks (such as soy, rice, almond, etc.). There might still be a law somewhere with this restriction today.

6. Buck Turgidson

We'll talk soon

Ubiquitin likes this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Labeling isn’t necessary today. No one is going to mistake lab-grown meat for cow meat. Heck, these alt meat companies are marketing it as alt meat. When that time comes where consumer may be confused, sure, label it.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

You got it, compadre.

9. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Actually lab grown salmon is already pretty convincing.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

See the video I just posted. The lab grown salmon is very convincing and sitting on a piece of rice I would have a hard time telling the difference between that and a piece of wild caught Coho.

ROCKSS and Amiga like this.
  11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Just to add I don’t think there are any inherent dangers in eating lab grown meat such as the lab grown salmon. Our digestive system rips apart things like DNA and if the cells and scaffolding are the same thing as real meat I don’t think it’s anymore dangerous than eating the actual thing.

It might be safer because you won’t be growing things like harmful pathogens.

We don’t know though what large scale manufacturing of meat like this will mean. The conventional wisdom is it’s better for the environment but given it will still take large quantities of water, energy ans feed stocks to grow the meat we don’t know for sure.

Also even if lab grown meat is safe and environmentally sound basic truth in advertising ethics means we should label
    It as such.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That's amazing. Found the company - https://www.wildtypefoods.com/

Given the website, it looks like they will market themselves as cultivated seafood and as "the cleanest, most sustainable seafood on the planet". As long as they are marketing themselves this way, there isn't a need to label. The point is this alt-meat industry is NOT trying to confuse consumers by blending in as the same as non-alt-meat. They try to be above the "dirty"-meat market; it's a marketing strategy and a core selling point. Let it be, there isn't a need to label yet.

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Wait until people learn about consuming lab grown drugs.

rocketsjudoka likes this.
  14. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

They are self labeling but I don't think we can count on every company doing the same and if lab grown meat ends up cheaper than actual meat there will be a big impetus for companies to not label what they sell as such. I can especially see fast food doing that.

15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I myself only consume organic free range ibuprofen.

Ottomaton, Ubiquitin, Xopher and 3 others like this.
  16. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

That doesn't matter to leftists. If DeSantis is against something they're automatically for it, unless their government masters echo DeSantis' position.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  17. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

I don't get why DeSantis banned corporate-made "beef". It's not as if they've been producing and marketing crap for people to eat over the past 60 years.

nintchdbpict0003617841322.jpg

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

More cancer among the people is wonderful for big pharma and our masters in the Washington Establishment! This is why boot-licking leftists are outraged.

Lab-Grown Meat and Human HealthAnother key issue with lab-grown meat that scientists are raising questions about is its potential impact on human health. Cultured meat goes through a process of high-level cell multiplication. As in cancer cells, some dysregulation is likely to occur in this process.Dec 31, 2023
    upload_2024-5-10_10-54-43.png
    https://www.doctorkiltz.com › wh...
    Is Lab-Grown Meat Bad? A Look at the Impacts and Natural Alternatives

19. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, leftists are DUMB and they don't realize how DUMB they are.

20. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Here ya go, lefttards. Your government masters have spoken. Eat bugs!

2w9g09.jpg