1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Apr 4, 2024.

1. Nook

Nook Member

I know people want to pile on him - but really, what can he say?

He does have an elite and possibly the best team on paper - a team that always gets deep in the playoffs.

I am sure he is extremely frustrated - and most of the advanced numbers point to bad luck and timing.

Still - we need to remember how frustrating that the 2023 Astros were - just like the COVID season, they never really put it all together.

Most likely this team isn't going to suddenly start playing .666% baseball and finish with 98 wins.

I think that the injuries and how they have been staggered has been a big part of that - then you couple that with the struggles of Abreu at 1st, and McCormick and Bregman - and that makes it hard to have any consistency on offense.

Then you have Hader, Pressly AND Abreu all struggling at the same time and it is like trying to fight someone when stuck in a hole.

If the Astros relievers had performed like their recent part - the Astros would be at .500%

The best hope is that Valdez/Verlander/Javier all are healthy and making every start for a few months and Brown and Arrighetti are at least competitive..... that Singleton has like an 800 OPS at first.... Meyers is the CF and Bregman plays like he usually does.

I think the pen will figure it out.

The problem is that is a lot "if's" and that doesn't even get into Luis Garcia etc.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I just want one significant winning streak to correct the record followed by back to normal Astros. I'm tired of the being behind early crap and even more tired of the being behind after the last out.

Wulaw Horn and Snake Diggit like this.
  3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Easy to wake up early to watch X-Men 97 when ignoring gamecast. Just saying.

scott_summers likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Couple this with guys on the Astros typically having actual era's below their fip and that isn't happening with some of these younger guys.... Brown has a fip of 5.50 and an era of 9.00 ..... Arrighetti has an era of 8.00 and a fip of like 3.4 ..... and France has an era of 7.50 and a fip of 5.00 ....

Doesn't sound like much but it is the difference between competing and not even competing.

When you have guys getting crushed in early innings - the game is out of reach,....

Blair Henley - he gave us one out and gave up 5 runs.

Spencer Arrighetti has started 4 games for us and he has gotten through the 4th inning just once.

JP France at least has actually been competitive in like 3-4 of his starts.

Brown has also given up the most runs in the first two innings of games in the entire MLB.

These are - as you said - not even competitive games, and it accounts for almost 1/3 of our schedule are games we cannot win.

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

**** - at this time I will a 5 out of 6 stretch..... just get within shouting distance of .500....

AznH-TownFan likes this.
  6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

This team just may be 2020 all over again.

There is still plenty of season left but they need to start playing competitive baseball.

Last night was embarrassing

But there are 4 playoff spots available (ALW and 3 WC) and if this team gets healthy and plays well enough to get in nobody will want to play them.

Right now the Royals are final WC spot on pace to win 92 games.

That will likely slow down and 90 will probably make it but the team needs to go 80-47 to win 92.

Still doable but every loss that piles up makes it that much more unlikely.

I said they need AT LEAST 4 wins out of 9 games (NYY, Det, Mil) now they need 4 out of 8.

Then 7 of 10 vs Oak and LAA

That's just to avoid hitting the panic button. More wins really are needed to start an actual turnaround.

Stephen66 likes this.
  7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

We won the Blair Henley game. You are correct though.

Nook likes this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Go on thinking this bunch are World Series contenders if you like, but no need to resort to calling other folks idiots.

arabrocket and AznH-TownFan like this.
  9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I did not hear orcread anyone calling anyone an idiot.

You are more than your actions or thoughts. Speaking an idiotic idea does not make you an idiot. Doung something idiotic does not make you an idiot.

I agree that a total rebuild would be idiotic but do not think considering it or suggesting it is idiotic.

Unfortunately this team is at a point where it should be considered but there are too many good players with 3+ years of control left for it to be reasonable.

AznH-TownFan, roadtrip and The Beard like this.
  10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Agree

and as we sit here today, regardless of how emotional most are, truth is there is a way better chance we win the World Series this year than we go into a full rebuild

If we continue on a bad path and it’s obvious at the deadline we are out of it, I don’t think we will go LA Angels and keep the rentals, Alex would be moved at that point, but the chances Crane allows a full rebuild with the controlled players we have is close to zero

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

Even optimistically, it still looks & feels like an end of reign.. At minimum, it means on a fan level dont get too attached to your favorite players. Expect a departure of anyone not Altuve, Yordan & Yanier. Old era mainstays like Breggy, Verlander (again), & Pressly might have to join the likes of Correa, Springer, & Yuli: not in H-Town unis, thanks for the memories.

That said, overreactive over-sell can be a bit much too. Even as a veteran team, "try again next year" can happen with a reload & refresh. Let the year play out, call the year off as a fluke loss even, and react accordingly. The talent is still there to be a postseason contender now not later. Despite the emotional sink, thats also a fact. Its just if organization has patience & vision. (Or using this as a lesson for them to improve too)

12. J.R.

J.R. Member

13. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

A qualifying offer would be a vast overpay for Bregman right now.

14. raining threes

For the stats nerds, these are the numbers that matter.

15. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

This season is over, the longer Crane and the HOF **** heads refuse it the longer the rebuild is going to take.

arabrocket likes this.
  16. Radricky

Radricky Member

Pretty crazy that we could have two mvp candidates (Tucker and altuve) and a cy young candidate (blanco) and still be 13 games under 500

raining threes likes this.
  17. Mashing

Mashing Member

raining threes and Snake Diggit like this.
  18. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Dude, this team isn't getting anywhere near .500. We're a complete ****ing mess. 2013 Texans disaster.

19. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

The offense has some nice individual performers but overall is very mediocre.

The pitching is a complete disaster, in every phase, and in every sense of the word.

The manager has been even worse than the pitching.

I don't see us turning it around. Sure, we may "turn it around" and win 75 games, but the season is sickening. I don't see how we dig out of the hole at all.