1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hamas attacks Israel: Yom Kippur War, 50 years on

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Oct 7, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

LOL Sure.

This is the biggest piece of propaganda I have seen... it is really poorly written too.

Andre0087, ROCKSS and astros123 like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Of course Israel said no - their leader wants lebensraum.

ROCKSS and astros123 like this.
  3. astros123

astros123 Member

You have been spot on throughout this thread even after facing allegations and being trolled by some folks here. You have the right convictions regardless what anyone tells you

ROCKSS and Nook like this.
  4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

WW2 didn't displace people from their homes?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

and your comment about the Treaty of Versailles just proves the point I'm making.

#9585 basso, May 7, 2024
    Last edited: May 7, 2024
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Treaty of Versailles was a failure for many reasons, but the main reason it failed to provide future security is because the French and British declined to enforce it at multiple early points based on A) bad intel on Germany (thought they were more powerful than they were) B) severe reluctance to go to war again.

Had France and Britain mobilized in 1936 to stop the re militarization of the Rhineland, they would have come up against a woefully underarmed Wehrmacht that would have backed down instantly and led to the collapse of the Hitler government. Had they mobilized in 1938 during the Czech crisis they would have whipped the Nazis in a dual front war that included the able Czech military.

Versailles could have worked to secure future security EVEN THOUGH it was too punitive.

7. justtxyank

Huh? Germany and Japan were bombed into smithereens with massive civilian casualties. Both nations, but Japan more so, were in a horribly bleak scenario with huge populations displaced and starving.

"De housing" was actually an understood and accepted part of Allied bombing campaigns.

Allied effort against Germany and Japan was a total destruction of the existing regime and infrastructure followed by a rebuild from scratch type program.

basso and AroundTheWorld like this.
  8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What do you mean? I think everyone understands that during a war people will be displaced and homes will be destroyed. That is far different than trying to remove or confine an entire population, permanently.

The rebuild was done with the idea that the native populations would still live there. That is very different than anything happening with Israel and the Palestinians.

Xopher and Amiga like this.
  9. justtxyank

I misunderstood what you were saying I guess.

Amiga and FranchiseBlade like this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

They got their "state" or country back, rebuilt and all. People with a future aren't a threat. Suppressed people are always a threat.

Gaza has been an open jail, and the pathway to security for the Israelis looks like doubling down on that.

The question of whether it will create "more animosity and threats" is... YES, if you continue down the same path. Maybe not, if you completely eliminate them to the point where there simply wouldn't be a threat (something that is not possible in today's world, but genocide is still on the table).

It looks like they are stuck in the middle between the same path or completely eliminating the threat (depopulating the whole region and pushing all out).

There is another option, but it's so bleak now with so much generational hate on both sides.

Xopher likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Thank you. I try to be as objective as possible. I know some people believe that I hate Jews and I have some others that believe I have Arabs.

I don't hate Jews - I don't hate Arabs either.

I also don't think that Bibi speaks for many Jews - and Hamas doesn't speak for many Arabs.

Hamas and Bibi both have no desire to end this war.

The war will end because of pressure from the USA or because of the rank-and-file citizens in Israel and in the Middle East.

I will say that for all we hear about radical Islam (and it is a real thing and a real problem), I am seeing and noticing more and more Arabs speaking out against radical and fanatical religious zealots in the Middle East. I have also met and know a lot of atheist Arabs, and many others that are essentially secular Muslims.

As for Israel - I don't think that most Israeli's want anything other than peace with their Middle Eastern neighbors.

I also believe with proper diplomacy, there is a real chance for Israel to form alliances with their neighbors, including those that were former enemies. Nations like Jordan, Egypt, Kuwait and even Iraq are potential allies. That part of the Middle East is a collapse in Iran from becoming a more progressive region of the world with less religious extremism. They won't and shouldn't be copies of the USA or Israel - but they would have more freedoms, better relations with the West and be well educated.

As for the Palestinians - I don't know the end game in 2024 - a hundred years ago they would have already been all murdered. Now with international pressure and the fall out from South Africa, it is hard to say. The Jews would be smart to work out some agreement where the Palestinians are granted entry into another nation.

12. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

Wow, that would be a terrible deal for Israel and an absolute bonanza for Hamas. Of course it was rejected. Israel gets whatever hostages Hamas decides to turn over alive. Hamas gets a complete withdrawal of Israel from Gaza, no controls by Israel of any imports into Gaza, amnesty for the October 7th attack, 30-50 terrorists for every hostage released, and Israel pays for the reconstruction of Gaza. An Israeli government would have to be either so stupid they couldn't tie their own shoes or completely compromised by powers sympathetic to Hamas to accept such a deal.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

classic blame the victim (Jews) stuff

basso likes this.
  14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm sure I wasn't clear. No worries.

15. justtxyank

There were obviously huge failures on Israels's side. They should have some serious internal accountability, including (IMO) a hard look at whether Bibi should continue as PM.

What does any of that do with how they should deal with Hamas?

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That’s not an accurate description of the deal.

astros123 likes this.
  17. astros123

astros123 Member

Bcz bibi is obviously compromised as a leader?? He knows he has zero support back home which is why hes not eager to cut a deal with hamas to rescue the hostages?

Again the Egyptians and the Americans told the IDF exactly when the attack was going to be and warned them to shift troops to gaza. Bibi refused and downplayed hamas and claimed the bigger threat was in west bank.

Bibi has been funding hamas for years and has been empowering them for decades. He wants a split Palestine population so they can continue fighting against each other.

Bibi needs to go

FranchiseBlade and justtxyank like this.
  18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Don’t trust those who caused or didn’t prevent the issue to solve the issue? Incompetent, IOW. That’s basically the argument being made by Bibi’s opponents, demanding an election to select new leaders who would better handle the war and Hamas.

19. justtxyank

I don't disagree with the idea Bibi needs to go.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

When @astros123 tells you that, it should give you pause.

basso likes this.