1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Jalen Green for Franz Wagner?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, May 6, 2024.

?

Jalen Green for Franz Wagner?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Rokman

Rokman Member

His "streak energy" died after 1 month. Don't play the IF game with yourself. It's a waste of time and energy. You will be disappointed.

cml750 likes this.
  2. OremLK

OremLK Member

His performance during his best stretch of the season was comparable to Donovan Mitchell's overall performance over the last two years. Is Donovan Mitchell a top 10 player? I would personally say no, for the same reason Jalen won't be--the offense is there but the defense is average at best. My bar for a shooting guard to be a top 10 player would be something like that level of offensive performance in addition to being a true two-way player.

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Franz is def better at this point but somehow is an even worse 3pt shooter last year than Jalen. I think Jalen may end up being better in a couple years, so I wouldn't do it, yet.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Let's be honest then. If Green doesn't have a ceiling if a top ten player on this team than no one does not even Sengun or Amen.

Sengun has the highest floor but Green still has the highest ceiling on the team due to his combo of athlete athleticism and creative on ball skills

cbass and Dobbizzle like this.
  5. cml750

cml750 Member

I would not be upset at all if we traded him. I wanted him benched, traded, or cut after his extended poor start last year. I have not suddenly become a delusional Jalen fan but I am now willing to see how he starts off next season based on his streak. I would not give him over 10 games if he starts off like crap.

6. Rokman

Rokman Member

I'd cut that down to 2. Rockets want to make the playoffs. Every win counts.

cml750 likes this.
  7. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Got nothing better to do?

cbass likes this.
  8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

What most fans don't seem to see is that it isn't always about individual talent but about chemistry and fit.

Franz would fit here perfectly - we need more guys that can stretch the floor - if Jalen could dribble (He can't) then he would fit well, but his handle is weak - and his shot making weaker - so while individually one could argue Green is better (Debatable) Franz would make us a better team.

DD

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I tend to agree with you, but it was weird this season that Franz's 3-point percentage was even worse than Jalen's.

10. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

In his first two seasons, he consistently shot at the 36% level on fairly good volume. The 3pt shooting drop in the 3rd season might just be a fluke.

OremLK and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

True, but I think that settles down, and reverts back to normal......

DD

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. OremLK

OremLK Member

When I talk about ceiling, I just want to mention that I'm implying "realistic ceiling", not "absolute best case outcome". Meaning, I don't think of ceiling like, out of a hundred times, this guy gets there once. I view it as something more like the top 10% of outcomes. That 10% looks a lot worse for Jalen now that his trendline for jump shooting is so questionable three years in.

His raw physical potential has not changed since he was a rookie, but his lack of progress on jump shooting has shrunk the odds that he gets there. So I'm actually lower on his realistic ceiling now than I was a year ago or two years ago, even though that top 1%, best case outcome has not really changed.

Y2JT and DaDakota like this.
  13. maypk

maypk Member

Athleticism sure, but I honestly have no idea what on ball skills are you talking about here.

14. DaDakota

Supporting Member

The one where he is fondling Green's?

;)

LOL - just kidding - sorta.....

Green's on ball skills are mediocre at best, his ceiling has dropped considerably, whereas players like ANT are hitting superstardom and leading team USA, Green is currently an after thought - and likely to stay there, he isn't good enough to build around, isn't good enough to get as many touches as he currently gets, and frankly, even though it is off the court, all those babies are alarming, that doesn't scream "GREAT DECISION MAKING" .....

If you get a decent offer for him this summer you trade him, and toss in FChowderhead as well.

DD

15. fchowd0311

Jalen Green as a 19 year old was splitting doubles with a handle. What young player we have outside of Green has that combo of athleticism and handle to do that type of stuff against NBA defenders?

Watch head to head match ups with Green against players of his archetype like Booker or Ant and you'll see Green is ahead of those guys in creative handles to navigate and slither by multiple defenders. He's like that cat that can squeeze between the bottom of a door and the carpet with wiggle.

16. cbass

cbass Member

How on earth has his ceiling dropped considerably? He improved in so many aspects of his game this year.

Did you watch him in March? That’s his ceiling. You wanted to build around him then, before your aggressive flip flop. How was his play in March indicative of his ceiling dropping?

I don’t understand how you can watch as much basketball as you seem to yet say stuff like you do. Legitimately boggles my mind.

Also, Jalen’s personal life is none of your business. Your moral handwringing about his sex life is you grasping at reasons to dislike him, and it’s frankly gross. You’re not so hard on KPJ for beating women.

IvanLCPM, BigMaloe and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. fchowd0311

People have busy lives and often their analysis amounts to looking at fg% splits and ts%.

But I don't know how that excuse applies to people who post 20 times a day here.

cbass likes this.
  18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Because I have seen streaks like that a MILLION times and they don't add up to squat..........the fact that he crashed back down instead of sustaining is alarming.

And even though he is 6'3-6'4" and can jump he isn't really that long - and I believe Cam will be the starter for us there, so would trade Green now while the league still thinks he has upside.

DD

19. cml750

cml750 Member

I agree 100% but I am not sure what the team's game plan will be if he starts off like normal aka crap. Last year they let him ride well over half a season waiting for him to turn it on. I would hope they have a MUCH shorter leash this year.

20. Joe Willie

Joe Willie Member

Of course not.