1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If nothing else, these Playoffs are showing us...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by hlmbasketball, May 7, 2024.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

That size matters!

Denver won the Championship last yr because of their size and Minnesota is now dominating Denver because if its size. As the girls say, size matters!

Whats old is new and whats new is old. After seeing last nights game between Minnesota and Denver, I think the game is reverting back to the 80's and 90's. It was physical and the team with the most size won. Minnesota has bigs all along their team; wings and interior. The Rockets haven't beaten Minnesota in yrs, mainly because of our lack of size. And can you imagine the Rockets playing against them in a seven game series???

Moving forward, if the Rockets want to match it and win a Championship, which I hope is their goal, they need to rethink the roster. Sengun and Jalen are our main pieces but they are short for their positions. Minnesota did what I never thought could never be done w/o Gobert, they made Jokic irrelevant. And while Jalen had a good eleven game stretch this yr, he was beat up going down the end of the season and fell off. And if Jokic is not having success against Minnesota, what do you think they will do to Sengun?

So, do you think Sengun and Jalen can beat Minnesota in a seven game series, when Jokic and Murray are getting their hats handed to them?? Hmmm, I think not.

ROCKETS MAY HAVE TO RETHINK THIS ROSTER.

2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

What’s your solution?

glimmertwins and harold bingo like this.
  3. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

I like your point. They are a huge team, but it seems to me that speed and ball movement is the great equalizer. As David says, it's not the size of the giant, it's the stone and shooting percentage. Maybe we can make it work with what we got.

Stephen_A likes this.
  4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

EDEY!!! LOL J/K

Rocket River

AroundTheWorld, Jontro and MadMax like this.
  5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Im curious to see how the rest of the Playoffs are going to go but Im thinking its going to be Minnesota vs Boston. Two teams with the most size.

I never thought I would say this but if they can't get Zarr, Edey may have to be an option in the draft.

Or another option I have been saying for awhile now, trade Brooks and put Jabari at the SF position and add another big, a true 7ft, next to Sengun.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How is green short for his position?

roslolian likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol it just so happens that Gobert, KAT and Reid are all either Top 5 Centers or Naz Reid the best Center off the bench.

Nobody is talkinig about Luka Garza, who I think has the potential to be a good bench C as well.

hlmbasketball likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Draya confirmed, his positioning is quite right for making that baby.

9. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Lol your attempt at humor is funny in itself.

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Neither are short for their positions.
    6'11 for a center is just over average height.
    6'5/6'6 is just over average to above average height for a SG

Playing two centers is where they get their height

AroundTheWorld and fchowd0311 like this.
  11. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Would have loved to see Harden’s peak Rockets take on this Minny team.

12. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Contributing Member

Absolutely. You can say the same thing about the latest batch of superstars... they leverage their size and strength. Harden, Luka, Giannis, Edwards, Jokic, etc. That's why we have to be patient with our young players, their games will develop with the addition of body mass.

glynch likes this.
  13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

lol @Rocket River nailed it. I think denver was bigger yesterday weren't they? with rudy out, denver starts a 6 10, 6 9, 7 0 front court

harold bingo likes this.
  14. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Minnesota is faster than Denver, not bigger. Gobert didn't play last night so KAT was Minny's sole 7 footer and listed at 248lbs vs Jokic's 285lbs. Naz Reid is only 6'9". Outside of the centers, MPJ was the tallest player on the court and made no impact. Conley and ANT are shorter than Denver's backcourt, the same height as FVV and Jalen. If height was the factor for Minny's dominance then why did they do better last night without Gobert than with him in game 1?

I'm confused that you point out Boston as the other team in the league with the most size. KP is the only person over 6'9" in their rotation and he plays less than 30mpg. I hope you're not counting Kornet and Queta. Does Horford count as a tall enough big now?

Stephen_A and xaos like this.
  15. J.R.

J.R. Member

Boston: 6’6 Brown, 6’7 Tatum & 7’2 Porzingis
    Cleveland: 6’5 Strus/Okoro, 6’11 Mobley, 6’11 Allen
    Dallas: 6’6 Jones, 6’7 Washington, 6’10 Gafford
    Denver: 6’10 Porter Jr., 6’8 Gordon, 6’11 Jokic
    Indiana: 6’6 Nesmith, 6’8 Siakam, 6’11 Turner
    Minnesota: 6’9 McDaniels, 7’ Towns, 7’1 Gobert
    New York: 6’4 Hart, 6’7 Anunoby, 7’ Hartenstein
    Oklahoma City: 6’4 Dort, 6’5 Williams, 7’1 Holmgren

Atlanta: 6’7 Bey, 6’8 Johnson, 6’10 Capela
    Chicago: 6’5 Caruso, 6’6 DeRozan, 6’10 Vucevic
    Golden State: 6’7 Wiggins, 6’7 Kuminga, 6’6 Green
    LA: 6’8 George, 6’7 Kawhi, 7’0 Zubac
    LA: 6’9 James, 6’8 Hachimura, 6’10 Davis
    Miami: 6’6 Jaquez, 6’7 Butler, 6’9 Adebayo
    Milwaukee: 6’7 Middleton, 6’11 Antetokounmpo, 7’1 Lopez
    New Orleans: 6’8 Ingram, 6’6 Williamson, 6’11 Valanciunas
    Orlando: 6’10 Wagner, 6’10 Banchero & 6’10 Carter Jr.
    Philadelphia: 6’7 Oubre, 6’8 Harris, 7’ Embiid
    Phoenix: 6’4 Allen, 6’11 Durant, 7’ Nurkic
    Sacramento: 6’8 Barnes, 6’8 Murray, 6’10 Sabonis

Houston: 6’6 Brooks, 6’11 Smith & 6’10 Sengun

“It's not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.”

Are we “small, short, undersized” or that other S word?

[​IMG]

And they haven’t beaten Minnesota in years because well they sucked, they were tanking/rebuilding. And when they were good, Minnesota sucked.

vs Minnesota
    23-24: 0-3
    22-23: 1-3
    21-22: 0-3
    20-21: 1-2
    19-20: 4-0 in regular season (Harden’s last full season as Rocket, last time Rockets were good)
    18-19: 1-2
    17-18: 4-0 regular season; W 4-1 in first round (*only time Timberwolves had winning record/playoffs during this span other than 21-22 to current 23-24)
    16-17: 3-1
    15-16: 3-0
    14-15: 4-0
    13-14: 3-1
    12-13: 2-1

#15 J.R., May 7, 2024
    Last edited: May 7, 2024
  16. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

No they don't.

Everyone chased (specifically Morley) to replicate and if not at the very least attempt to construct a roster to rival the Warriors spread/run and gun offense. Very few were able to compete (Toronto and Cleveland) and we failed to match up with two HOF players on the roster.

At the end of the day, the team with the very best player and if possible players will win. That's been proven time and time again in the playoffs. No need to chase models, just capture your best talent and construct a balanced roster around those players. It's easier said than done but that's really all it takes.

17. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Initially I was gonna say wait until the series is over to make this thread, but then I got to thinking, has a team ever gone down 0-2 at home and come back to win the series? That's gotta be super rare if it's ever happened at all. I can't think of a time it's happened and I'm not sure how to look it up.

EDIT: how could I forget our 1994 rockets. Hope is alive for Denver!

18. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I'm pretty sure OP didn't even know that Gobert didn't play last night.... Minny was shorter or equal at every position.

19. Rokman

Rokman Member

Either be bigger and stronger than the other team or shoot lights out from 3. Gotta have one or the other. . . Or both. Rockets have neither.

leebigez likes this.
  20. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

They'd honestly go the same way as all the rest of the non-Warriors teams. 2 bigs against a prime Harden era Rockets means we're scoring a LOT and their bigs will likely sit in foul trouble a lot also.

Stephen_A likes this.