1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Astros Minor League Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by tellitlikeitis, Nov 6, 2023.

1. raining threes

I've never seen him crush the ball for any length of time. I used to be a big fan of Meyers, but since he hurt his shoulder he's basically been a 4th OF type guy. There's nothing wrong with this and right now he's serving his purpose. But there's a reason he's not playing every day. Like last night, a great OF would have caught that ball that fell. I think Meyers would have caught that ball before he hurt his shoulder. Also now he's got a weak arm. His bat is below avg and the biggest issue he has is hitting gas. Dubon doesn't have Meyers speed in the OF but he's got decent range and a much better arm. Dubon also hits gas better than Meyers.

Don't get me wrong, I don't want Dubon starting all of the time, really they need to trade for an upgrade. Of course I said this before the season and nothing has really changed. I'm hoping Loperfido takes Meyers spot and Chas comes back healthy and in last seasons form because I don't expect a trade for an upgrade.

2. raining threes

Quoted for truth

3. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Another Meyers/Dubon debate, huh. Well, at least that's better than folks fighting with Geoff Blum on Twitter about nicknames.

Anyways, James Hicks went five innings and allowed a run on three hits and struck out four in his Asheville debut.

4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

5 of the hitters in Corpus’ lineup tonight have an ops under .500.

5. Nook

Nook Member

The Astros still use analytics.

Meyers deserves playing time because he is hitting well enough and he covers a lot of ground in CF. I will admit though that his arm is a liability and the fact he is a moron on the bases doesn’t help.

Part of me would love for Loperfido to take the CF job and have Meyers be the 4th outfielder.

Chas needs to start hitting.

raining threes likes this.
  6. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I would prefer Leon as a 4th outfielder over Meyers. Much better arm and base runner so a great candidate to be a pinch runner late in games.

everyday eddie, BlindHog and Nook like this.
  7. Mashing

Mashing Member

Agreed. If I remember correctly it was last year (or maybe the year before that) where he came off the IL and then started raking.

Nook likes this.
  8. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Kenni Gomez hit his second homer of the year for Fayetteville, which accounted for their only run in a 5-1 loss to Delmarva.

Jacob Melton (4) and Zach Daniels (1) homered for Corpus, while Luis Angel Rodriguez and Julio Robaina combined on a 2-hit shutout, allowing one hit apiece. Rodriguez walked 2 and struck out 4 in five innings and Robaina completed the Hooks' 7-0 win over Frisco by striking out 5 in four innings.

Not sure why Quincy Hamilton had to start this year back in Corpus but he homered twice for Sugar Land. Shea Whitcomb, Cesar Salazar, and Cooper Hummel also homereed in the Space Cowboys' 9-6 win in El Paso.

9. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

Hamilton started in SL but was sent down after getting Hummel, I think. He then went on the IL in CC. There were just too many OF in SL at that time.

10. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

FCL began play today and the Astros will only be fielding one team. They lost 6-4 to the Marlins this morning... only one player in the lineup, Victor Diaz, was over the age of 21. The rest were all guys making their US debuts and Anthony Huezo, the Astros' 12th-round pick last year.

German Ramirez, SS
    Camilo Diaz 3B
    Anthony Huezo, CF
    Carlos Cauro, DH
    Esmil Valencia, RF
    Jancel Villarroel, C
    Victor Diaz, 1B
    Rabel Colon, LF
    Rafael Ramirez, 2B

11. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Tyler Whitaker hit his first homer of the season in Asheville. Jose Guedez allowed an unearned run on two hits, walked 1, and struck out 5 in five innings.

12. Radricky

Radricky Member

13. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Well, that escalated quickly. Luis Baez hit his 4th homer as part of a 10-run 7th for the Tourists. Joey Mancini walked one and struck out five over four no-hit innings as Asheville romped to a 13-1 win over Greenville.

14. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

it's really starting to look like Pedro Leon is ready for some big league action

15. tellitlikeitis

tellitlikeitis Canceled
    Supporting Member

Alonzo Tredwell allowed a run on five hits, walked one, and struck out six over five innings for Fayetteville. Chase Jaworsky went 2-4 in the Woodpeckers' 5-2 win over Delmarva.

Marteen, BlindHog, Nook and 5 others like this.
  16. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

@Nook @Snake Diggit

what’s the analysis of Browns first draft class so far? Living up to his reputation?

17. Buck Turgidson

It's April

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Like Buck said it’s early. But the early returns are pretty good. Brice Matthews has been disappointing but I’m pretty sure he has a mild injury affecting him. Otherwise the only disappointment on the position player side is C Will Bush. All the other position player draftees have looked really good, with Jeron Williams, Chase Jaworsky, and Nehomar Ochoa looking like they might be really good prospects.

The pitching draftees have looked good but they are all college guys so we won’t know anything until they get to AA.

everyday eddie, Amshirvani and crose like this.
  19. HeyBudLetsParty

Jake Bloss dealing in his AA debut, could be Browns first prospect to boom

20. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

It’s May. So are we allowed to talk about it?