1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Green become Edwards?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, May 4, 2024.

?

Will Jalen Green become as good as Anthony Edwards?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Eh I would say a lot of young guards and wings come into the league with tunnel vision and "lost in the sauce" look that Cam came into at 19. Even Green. But the difference in why Cam averaged a lot more turnovers than assists and Green would never be caught doing it isnt tunnel vision or bad IQ.

It's an inability to maintain a live handle in a set half court set. The more you can maintain a live dribble in a heavily defended half court set the more likely you are to use your handle to manipulate defend to create easy open looks that don't require advanced court vision. So poor ball handlers can average more assists than turnovers if they can be great connector passers who make quick decisions and advanced reads the moment the ball touches their hand. Draymond Green is a prime example. Handle isn't good but is a quick decision maker off of actions like the short roll.

For example Amen doesn't have the on ball skills as Green did even as a 19 year old rookie but how does he rack up assists? Because he does have the ability to make quick decisions and advanced passes without needing the ball to manipulate defenses.

Green didn't when coming into the league but what Green has over Cam by a significant margin is ball handling skills. Green's ball handling skills are just too advanced to ever be caught averaging more turnovers than assists. Cam doesn't have the handle to dribble the ball at the point of attack against a set half court defenses to manipulate defenses and create easy open looks to where he can average more assists than turnovers.

#61 fchowd0311, May 5, 2024
    Last edited: May 5, 2024
    Dobbizzle and OremLK like this.
  2. fchowd0311

I mean one of those centers is considered one of the best jump shooting bigs in league history.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Way too far down the alphabet.

Overall Green has been a bit of a bust as a number 2 pick, if he were like number 10 or 12 he would be right there, but a number 2 pick you are reaching for a superstar - and Green will never be that guy - he is just not wired that way.

Same can be said for Jabari - not a superstar - Amen has a chance, but his lack of shot probably stops that as well.

The absolute BEST shot the Rockets have of any of their players becoming that guy is down to 2 players.

1. Sengun
    2. Cam

No one else.

DD

4. fchowd0311

I can see Green being better than Edwards.

When they play head to head and you can see how Edwards moves and operates I just don't see this additional swag and confidence that people talk about.

Green when facing Edwards looks like the more creative ball handler, is quicker and has a better command of the ball.

Look at their last head to head and see how much more comfortable Green looked as a lead ball handler compared to Ant.

Ant has strength and at this point more consistent shooting. The later can change anytime. Green would have to take advantage of his speed and skill as a ball handler compared to Edwards to overcome his strength deficiency.

5. thedude077

thedude077 Member

Jalen Green can be better if he stays consistent. There I said it.

6. fchowd0311

Honestly why do people like you who have never done athletics need to comment on whether someone has the "wiring".

Dobbizzle likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It is way too early in the morning to be doing drugs.

8. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

Mentality.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Reality is the opposite of what you claim here. Players are assigned roles BECAUSE of their games, not just randomly. If Cam showed that he had play making instinct, you think the coach would not let him do that? You think Ime would say to him, "Dude, don't pass the ball, just shoot because that's the role I am assigning you"?

I am 100% sure that his instinct is to shoot. He is being instructed to look to involve his teammates more, that's against his instinct. Kudos to him, he did try and has shown improvement.

Jalen's instinct is also shooting. That's what Udoka has repeatedly been saying that Jalen needed to make the right read. So both Jalen and Cam are tunnel vision kind of guy. Jalen improved on his passing. I think Can can too. But it is very unlikely that these guys will ever be natural play makers.

10. DaDakota

Supporting Member

LOL - kid, I played and coached athletics way into my 40s....so do yourself a favor, and STFU - you already have a nose that has Jalen Green's Feces all over it...and it stinks

DD

11. fchowd0311

No you haven't lol. Even basketball coaches need to jog up and down the court here and there and not be planted to a foldable chair the entire game.

Also are the foldable chairs they use in youth league basketball games capable of holding your load?

12. a time to chill

Green has the talent, but it's the work ethic I question. If he puts in the work he can be where Edwards is. I think the Rockets should know what his attitude is like by now, and if they know he has a lackadaisical attitude towards training they should seek to move him. But if they don't have any concerns there, they should feel confident that he'll show significant growth next season.

13. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Ah, resorting to fat jokes because your lovely man, isn't holding up to NBA scrutiny. I am sure there will be others you can find to prop up as they fail, we all have our clankers..

Green sucks, is a bust as a number 2 pick, I am sorry that all his uber-fans are struggling with truth - it happens....we all have our kryptonite.

Cue more personal attacks - instead of bball discussion though - you do do you!

DD

14. fchowd0311

People who let themselves go into morbid obesity levels don't know what "wiring" it takes to be ultra competitive at a NBA level. I'm sorry.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Don't take the crayon eater too seriously....of course they are lashing out, they are a player only fan of a player who has been a failure for 3 years now. The LAST thing he wants to do is stick to basketball discussion because that will just highlight the failure of the object of his affection and it's not like we were talking about the best or brightest to begin with.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It was a minor miracle he didn't get injured.

I question his body the most and the way he contorts his body as well.

17. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

upload_2024-5-5_10-56-20.png

Corrosion, Y2JT and DaDakota like this.
  18. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I know you are sorry, you are a sorry sorry man - that is all you are - sorry.

DD

19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

not about size and strength SGA isn’t a big guy neither is morant. One thing as I mentioned in another post is Green’s teams have never been good until this year and he never had strong vet and star guidance till this year. Ant has had this since his year 1. Keep this in mind. A lot of stars have had guidance and mentorship from vet players with championship or playoff experience.

Ancient Moabite likes this.