1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Damn, Caserio.....

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by hlmbasketball, Sep 18, 2023.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

You mean try to hire a stud HC and draft a superstar QB that makes an immediate impact? Ya pretty sure teams have been trying to follow that model for decades.

evo8lover, cbass, cmlmel77 and 8 others like this.
  2. raining threes

I'm thinking more like hire a crap HC have a crap team for a couple of years and acquire talent. Then hire your HC.

What I hope happens is teams realize trading your star level QB when he wants to be paid top dollar money isn't the end of the world. Of course I believe QB's should be traded every 7-8 years because they will eat up to much of the cap to win a championship. I realize this is an unpopular opinion but look at past results.

houstonstime likes this.
  3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Teams have been crappy and needed rebuilds before, and the Texans rebuild would be nothing special if we had drafted Bryce Young instead of CJ last year.

4. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

How do you come up with 42 million?

houstonstime and red5rocket like this.
  5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

gotta give props man washed away the stink of BoB and overcame losing a franchise qb-like (debatable) in watson.

Future is extremely bright

cbass and zeeshan2 like this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Also get an impactful draft in the same draft you get your stud qb. Winning a lot of one score games helped too ;)

7. raining threes

You dont know this.

Stroud was put in a good situation

Young not so much.

Remember I didn't like any QB in that class.

8. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Maybe that’s what Tepper is doing up in Carolina? But this assumes you ultimately get your HC right which doesn’t happen more often than not.

raining threes likes this.
  9. Qan

Qan Member

That only happens if you draft a stud QB. You think the Texans are doing all these moves without CJ balling out and allowing them to go all in? It's all tied together, and I doubt many teams will have the opportunity the Texans have.

If you trade that star QB when it's his time to get paid, then you risk the chance you fall back in purgatory for many years. There are plenty of teams that paid their true star QB (not those overpaid fringe "star" QBs like Murray, Cousins, etc.) and able to compete year after year. The problem is everyone throwing the term "star QB" around and sticking with that QB for years when they're clearly not competing.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  10. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, I think there are a lot of teams that are paying way too much for their QB and it hurts their ability to field an effective team around them, but when you look at the sheer volume of Superbowls won by Brady and Mahomes over the last couple decades, I think it is clear when you have that truly difference making star QB, it is worth paying them. We don't know yet if Stroud will be that guy, but I'm pretty sure we'll know by the time we have to pay him. And right now, I'm not seeing anything to make me believe he can't be that guy.

red5rocket, Qan and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. cbass

cbass Member

Stafford is also highly paid and won a Super Bowl recently.

The claim that you can’t win while paying your QB a lot is nonsensical and easily disproven by recent history.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Twice it has happened. Thats not disproven

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And Stafford didn’t sign the big extension until after they won the Super Bowl

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

You left off being able to trade a franchise-level QB for a significant return in draft capital. I'd also throw in an extreme amount of luck - they were lucky Watson's off field issues didn't tank his value; they were lucky to land the 2nd pick on a Hail Mary 4th down conversion; they were lucky Carolina picked the wrong QB...

I think you nailed at least one component teams can copy: hire a stud HC. But even that's easier said than done. The rest of it is nearly impossible to replicate, and teams will drive themselves into a ditch trying to chase it.

Qan and justtxyank like this.
  15. cbass

cbass Member

Near as I can tell, he signed a 5/135 extension in 2017. So unless you’re moving the goalposts on what constitutes a “big extension”, that seems pretty big to me and probably re-set the market when he signed it.

Also, it didn’t happen twice, it’s happened with 3 separate QBs in recent years. The only non-big-money QB to win a Super Bowl recently is Nick Foles.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Looking at it. Stafford cap hold was 20-22 mil the season they won the Super Bowl.
    The only QB that has won being a high percentage of total salary cap was Mahomes

17. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

There were plenty of folks (by plenty I mean everyone here) who wanted the Texans to commit to mediocre coaches rather than hire stopgaps. The team did the latter and ended up with a much better candidate. However, I doubt that is being referred to in the tweet.

houstonstime and raining threes like this.
  18. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The Texans could have openly conceded their last game like everyone wanted them to but they didn’t. They could have traded up to one and taken Young but they didn’t. At worst they were okay with either QB, but it’s also possible they preferred Stroud.

houstonstime and raining threes like this.
  19. raining threes

Nah, he wouldn't have made the Young trade if that's what he was doing.

20. raining threes

If your goal is to win championships you should trad your QB after year 7. Teams rarely win championships after year 7 because the QB eats up too much of the cap to keep/add star level players.

I get what you're saying about not being able to hit on a QB again, but I believe with proper scouting it can be done. I want whatever gives the team their best chance to win a championship. Not hoping that you can hit on some later rd draft pick to fill a need because your QB is eating up the cap. You cant live in fear and I believe the best thing that ever happened to the Texans org was WATSON being a perv so they could move on from his cap eating perverted self centered self. Can this be replicated? I not only think it can be replicated it should become the model for NFL franchises. Will this happen? Not a chance, marketing always wins out over winning championships.