1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Official] Guardians @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 30, 2024.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No joke. 3 in a row!!!

2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

The ignore button made me think you were referring to me...

Tomstro likes this.
  3. Nook

Nook Member

I would personally put Diaz at 1st and have Caratini behind the plate. Diaz has a lot of talent with the bat and strong physical tools behind the plate but asking him to run a staff with his experience is a lot to ask.

4. Buck Turgidson

I'll settle for a 29-10 run

5. Buck Turgidson

C'mon hippie: "Nobody's right when everybody's wrong"

AkeemTheDreem86 likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Can we please not make this a thing?

7. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Offense will need to continue to do their thing against a middling pitcher, although Mackenzie did give us trouble last year. Either way, I'm willing to bet pitching can't be worse than they were today with the big mistake pitches at the worst possible time.

If JV can give us 6 innings of 2-run ball, it doesn't feel crazy to believe Dubin/Martinez/Scott/Pressly can do their job if we have a 4 run lead.

Nook likes this.
  8. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Bagwell and Abreu not being near the team has done wonders

RussE, bcast89, Stephen66 and 2 others like this.
  9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Personally I’d go JV 5 or 6 and give arrenghetti the rest of the game and then send him down. Then pitch Blanco Thursday. Thats normal rest for him. Framber Friday, normAl rest, Javier Saturday, normal rest and then brown I guess on Sunday. Day off Monday. I like that plan better than trotting out all our non-leverage arms to back up JV. Have to think at least Abreu and Hader are down. Or should be. Hader should be down for Thursday too probably.

Nook likes this.
  10. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Ok.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

If JV can go 6, I’d go Dubin-Martinez-Pressly for 7-8-9 if the game is close. If the game is out of hand, let Bielak and Scott mop it up.

Wulaw Horn and Nook like this.
  12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Jose Abreu being a Dark Cloud, Negative Energy in the Dugout. The team seems more loose and more talkative. Jose Abreu seems Introverted and closed off, the struggle, injuries, Age, Mentally Tired.

Joey Loperfido seeing the ball well and giving information to other hitters in the Dugout, Energy, His Confidence as a batter is Impressive.

13. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Sorry old timer JLo stays. He used to have a little now he has a lot.

14. Nook

Nook Member

I would give Dubin one inning… stuff is good and he is capable of a scoreless inning. I would let Scott go an inning… Pressly gets the 9th to win it or lose it.

whiskeyred and Snake Diggit like this.
  15. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well Seth Martinez is rested and ready for that 9th inning assignment you promised, lol.

On further dissection, I know you said you’d be ok with Hader coming in extras with a man on…. But wouldn’t middle relief guys (not necessarily Martinez) have more experience/comfort when coming in with guys already on base vs. closers?

Again, no right answer and Hader is definitely not available tomorrow while Clase is… however the Astros did win the game tonight they almost had to win, and are now heavily favored to win this series no matter who the available closer is.

Everybody but Hader should be available tomorrow as well… even Pressly the old (who I agree still looks like he aged 10 years in one off-season).

13 in 33 and Nook like this.
  16. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Plenty of ways to get Diaz in the lineup. I just want him to be a better catcher. Less mitt movement that somehow got worse than last year. Less catcher interferences (that may have something to do with all the mitt movement). Better ability to navigate young starters through the toughest inning any starting pitcher faces (first innings).

You don’t have to be a mythical pitcher whisperer… but you do have to have a semblance of command of the position or be able to recognize mechanics issues with pitchers or be able to work umps with shitty zones, or be able to tell the difference between a HBP and a foul ball.

And thats just the in-game stuff. Obviously we know catchers put in a f-ton of work on before the game preparations. We also know that two organizations questioned his ability to command most of that at this stage of his development at the big league level. Theres a lot of gray area between Mitch Melusky and Joe Mauer.

13 in 33, noppeper and Nook like this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

**** them bloops!

Castian Crew and Bregatron like this.
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

J-lo had the mythical bloop.

Also, blame Blummer for the non-stop J-lo reference. I didn’t like Doobie either.

19. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Okay this was a nice win. addition by subtraction with abreu who is enjoying cigars in west palm beach

20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

36-10 was the run and could be again.

Key to that run was Lidge going supernova on the mound.

13 in 33 likes this.