1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets 2024 Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets34Legend, Apr 14, 2024.

1. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Here’s your proposal: “Send them Jabari Smith and some picks and salary like Jocko - if they want more bros than picks give them Cam or Jalen since they hate each other.”

All that just for incremental improvement? You mortgaged the future for an over the hill player who’s on the wrong side of the 30s. And when Durant is done in two years, then what?

That’s the kind of move you make when you truly believe Durant will put you over the top. Not for incremental improvement…

kspires999 and roslolian like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If he sincerely is that next season the Spurs should be able to win 35 games next season at a minimum with no roster change. A top 10 player can get your team 35 wins with that Spurs roster. It's a **** roster but we are talking about a top 10 player.

roslolian likes this.
  3. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Yeah all that

Let's get real, will Jabari Smith Jr ever be as good as Kevin Durant at age 35? 27 ppg, 60+ ts%. In what video game will that ever happen?

Will Cam and Jalen make it through next season without going Thunderdome on each other?

Hell to the no man. I'll clean out your basement either of these things happen

4. SamFisher

Name 10 players you'd rather have on your roster - thanks!

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is the convenience or inconvenience to hitch your wagon to someone who was already declared generational player even when his impact cannot touch Tim Duncan's.

But yeah Jalen Green is not on that list.

roslolian likes this.
  6. SamFisher

Tim Duncan is 50 years old bro.

Wembanyama would beat him easily.

8 more names

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

0.1% chance

I do think he will probably be as good as age 25 Michael Porter Jr when he's age 25

Maybe even a bit better! He plays more defense and rebounds better, probably.

8. fchowd0311

Lol dude I'm just going after your specific claim. Wemby has the highest trade value in the NBA no ****. He's on a rookie deal with generational talent.

He probably still won't be a top 10 player next year. Look at all the woinderkins who impacted winning at a high level at age 20. They all had one thing on common and that was not being a push over. Both LeBron and Luka entered the NBA with above average strength and impacted winning right away. Both 19 year old Luka and LeBron would have the Spurs winning 30+ games

roslolian likes this.
  9. SamFisher

Name the 10 players you'd rather have on your roster for next year only then.

Jokic
    Doncic

Now you need 8 more

10. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Did I say Jabari will ever be as good as current Durant?

But the point is, Durant is only going to get worse from here. And Jabari is only going to get better. Two years from now, who do you think will be better?

Then you add picks, Jock, Cam/Jalen. No freaking way.

roslolian likes this.
  11. OremLK

OremLK Member

For wemby? Like almost anybody in the top 20

He might be in the back end of that group (due to his defense)

He's just too raw on offense right now to be a true superstar/borderline superstar

Dude has 56.5% true shooting... as a center

BigMaloe and fchowd0311 like this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They figured out that he cannot play SF and PF that much.......what wonders of the mind.

13. SamFisher

And the point is, even a declining Durant is much further above replacement level than Smith is now or will likely ever be.

I'll tell you if there was a phone call about Durant and Smith swap between the 2 GMs, someone would laugh and hang up the phone and then throw the phone into the Sonora desert.

14. SamFisher

^It's telling that everyone evaluating Wemby now relies very heavily on citing his cumulative stats (half of which includes Point Sochan, Shaq Collins and the other nonsense the Spurs did, in the first... half of his NBA career)

Anyway - name the 20 players (LMFAO) you'd rather have than him next season!

15. fchowd0311

This is why Wemby is relatively more limited that former wonderkins like Luka or LeBron.

Those guys entered the league already being offensive hubs without needing a competent roster.

Wemby as a center and being below average strength means he is going to need natural development time.

Look I'm going to trigger you for a bit but it's because obviously Wemby has a astronomically higher ceiling than Green and the fact that I'm using Green here as an example shows how far off Wemby is on offense before he reaches top 10 status.

Wemby and rookie Jalen Green have the exact same adjusted ts% and Green has the better assist to turnover ratio. And obviously Green is no where near the talent of Wemby.

Wemby has probably the highest ceiling in NBA history but his floor is considerably lower than guys like rookie Luka or LeBron because he's more dependent on his teammates. He has below average strength and still relative to even guys like Green is more dependent on others setting him up.

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well, I never said I thought he was #21, I said he was in the back end of the top 20. But I'll happily name 15 off the top of my head, in (very) rough order

Jokic
    Embiid
    Doncic
    Alexander
    Antetokounmpo
    Tatum
    Davis
    Leonard
    James
    Durant
    Brunson
    Edwards
    Booker
    Haliburton
    Mitchell

Better than 50% odds he won't be better than any of these guys next season. For his career as a whole, sure... if he stays reasonably healthy--with the bar being "more healthy than Yao Ming"

BigMaloe, SamFisher and fchowd0311 like this.
  17. SamFisher

^I've spent the last 2 months asking numerous people to name names of the 10 (or 20... 20! Lol) better NBA basketball players on the planet right now than Victor Wembanyama and I weep, for i have no more worlds to conquer.

Say their names. Like if at least 1 person did this I will hit "like" on the post.

You can take that to the bank.

18. fchowd0311

Id say his current ability to impact a team is the level of Bam Adebayo. Again this isn't a knock on the dude. He's 20 and already having the impact of a top 30ish player.

19. SamFisher

Hahahahahahaha this is great I look forward to quoting this post to you repeatedly.

I mean, I could get into to names, but really, let's say you get to rent a player for next season season - you choose Donovan Mitchell or Devin Booker Age 40 Lebron James or 50 game a year average guys like Kawhi over...... Victor Wembanyama? Wow! ****in wow!

Victor is already better than most of those guys by sole virtue of being the most disruptive defender in the planet at the most important position but also, you know, by being available to play basketball games?

Man I love it - I guess a year from now we will see but lololol this is great stuff

You're basically saying "better than 50% odds" Victor Wembanyama would not even make 4th team all NBA next year if such a thing actually existed? Like he's on the bubble for all star if he's behind those guys! Ahahaha

That's ****ing nuts! :D:D:D:D

20. SamFisher

Im sorry but just one more bit of goodness gracious - look up Tyrese Halliburtons #s since he returned from injury - something like 18 points d 9 assy on bad shooting and nothing on defense (and just plain looked bad)

Just flabbergasted that anyone pick him and all these other dudes over Wembanyama.

Flabbergasted.