1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, where's everyone at with Jalen going into next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 5, 2024.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

What does this even mean? Fans aren't the ones putting in work.

This is a manner of principle. If you for the past three years **** on Green don't come back and cheer for this team if Green becomes a large part of a contending run in the future?

Why are we pretending that that the people in referring to like you weren't like "okay I tried to support this kid for his first three seasons and now I'm done even though he's shown immense improvements in many facets of the game.". Nah people like you shat on him since being a rookie. Now you can't acknowledge basic things like his immense defensive improvements.

highpost1388 likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The Jalen Green fanboi is right, we should have never given up on Daishen Nix because he's young. You just have to blindly support young players no matter how terrible they are at basketball.

Y2JT and zjcblord21 like this.
  3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Man, the hating has rotted your brain so much you can’t recognize the dumb things you say anymore.

highpost1388 likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was agreeing with the Jalen Green fanbois... surely you agree with them too when it comes to blind faith in young players regardless of performance.

5. zjcblord21

zjcblord21 Member

Like the other guy already said, at least the same thing should also apply to yourself. If Green in the end does not realize the full potential you claimed, then you should not come back. But since you refused, so your logic doesn't work at all. This is quite simple.

Rockets fans have never really experienced a rebuild? Many fans have been watching Rockets since the Sampson time. Sampson was a high pick, Olajuwon was a high pick, Francis was a high pick, Yao was a high pick, what makes Green so special, just because he entered the league 19 years old? I am sorry that's exactly what makes him look worse than the expectation. If he went to colleage instead of Ignite, I believe he will do much better. I never compare Green to Luka or Ja because it's meaningless. KJ Martin is better? That's also a joke. So, plz stop throwing these ridiculous examples at me. I never said any of these.

What I am saying is : Green's inconsistent and inefficient level is way too high (even at your standard, young core, only third year) and many people are tired of it. You can call them impatient but most of people have watched 19 year old draft picks' growing process, if not in Rockets, then in the league. If you hate watching people saying they already giving up on JG4 then I have to tell you that I think he deserves it. If it's not because of his super inefficient performacne for 2/3 of a season, we'd already be in the playoff. That's a very simple fact.

In the end, if you think I am impatient then so be it. Keep your patient. Let's all wish JG4 a better next season, and I will still come back although I did say I gave up on him.

Corrosion and Strawberry Gum like this.
  6. Houston77

Supporting Member

I think you need to learn the definition of “blind faith.”

7. fchowd0311

My logic works fine because I'm not giving up on any players. That's the difference. How can you not understand that part? It's a pretty simple part to understand and I think you are purposefully ignoring it to double down on your narrative.

I'm not giving up on any of the young players unless I feel the need to and I don't feel the need to yet because I have basic basketball common sense.

You dismissing the difference between a 19 year old entering the NBA vs a 22 year old speaks volumes to your vapid analysis.

And no Yap ming era and Francis era weren't complete rebuild's. Was Francis drafted into a team with 6 rotation players under 22 with a rookie head coach?

It shows your lack of understanding of what a modern rebuild is. The Rockets at least since the 80s have never done a compete tear down rebuild. Do you want me to spit out the roster of Frabcis' rookie year? It's almost all veterans.

highpost1388 likes this.
  8. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

There are two things that are happening here that I hope doesn't get conflated because they are way different:

1. A third year prospect taken high in the draft who is still barely able to drink a beer might have to get traded based on projects, and internal cap analysis and strategy.
    2. Internet Sports Fan/Political discourse is intolerable because every jackass with access to wifi makes an uninformed opinion as early as possible on something like either a young prospect or maybe a political position, claims to have an elevated opinion that people need to take seriously, and die on that mountain regardless of conflicting data that emerges.

The fact is after 3 years, we have some data, but we still don't know exactly what Jalen Green is going to be. As a fan of the Rockets, I try my hardest to not be one of these jackasses who thinks they need to either be "team Jalen" or "Team Alpi" and especially not "Team Cam"... Even with the data we have we really don't know. It's ultimately going to be the Fertitta's decision with input from the front office and coaches. I think I've seen enough to go ahead, and try like hell to get a slight discount with both Sengun AND Jalen to extend them now because even if they come back down to earth the next few seasons and just turn into decent to good players, I still think that pretty much any contract is tradeable in the NBA.

Unfortunately as you mentioned regarding Ja or Luka, we don't have an obvious superstar in either guy which makes this tricky... BUT we also don't have a Michael Kidd Gilchrist, Michael Carter Williams, or even a Greg Oden type of situation either. The Rockets at least know they have a good to really good player in nearly every one of these high picks they need to decide on.

The Internet Edgelords are stupid. The Rockets have alot to be happy about, and it's most likely IMO that this team is back next year pretty much with the same guys, and I wouldn't be surprised if the Rockets extend both Sengun, and Jalen.

9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Oh, I love definitions! Let me give it a shot.

I would say "blind faith" would be a scenario where someone remained confident in the star status of a player despite all evidence being to the contrary.

For example, if a shooting guard played 3 seasons and their 3 point shooting percentage just kept dropping year after year and their TS% in their 3rd season was worse than their first.....but despite those things, the unwavering devotion of the fanbois remains the same or actually increases.

If their WS/48 is still the absolute worst on their team 3 years into their career....but the fanbois still talk about that player as the "Numero Uno".....I'd call that "blind faith".

How about you? What's your definition?

Y2JT likes this.
  10. fchowd0311

Everything you said here is reasonable.

dobro1229 likes this.
  11. zjcblord21

zjcblord21 Member

As for the Yao, Francis part, I already mentioned 'You can call them impatient but most of people have watched 19 year old draft picks' growing process, if not in Rockets, then in the league.' We watched other teams mordern rebuild process, we watched other teams 19 year old star, and we still are very disapointed by JG4 and people giving up on him is very natural.

Well, like you said, I gave up on him because I feel the need. You don't feel. That's the difference. And you just can't accept it because you think 'supporting JG4 is bceause of the basic basketball common sense'. All the people who lost faith with JG4 are lacking a basketball common sense. That's very fun conclusion. I will stop replying you because it's meaningless.

daywalker02 likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You've certainly given up on several young players....just not your guy.

So it's not a principled stance, you just want to hold out hope that one day your guy becomes a completely different caliber of player.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. fchowd0311

If you feel the need to give up on him then just don't come back to him if he does well on this team. It's that simple.

14. MystikArkitect

In April Jalen is averaging 19 PPG on 38% shooting from the field and 25% from 3.

Corrosion likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Nonsense. The fans don't owe him blind faith, if they give up on him, it's HIS fault for playing like ass for 3 years...or 4 years, or 5 years....or however long he remains terrible.

If he ever performs at a level that deserves fan support, then he should get it even from those who didn't have blind faith in him.

16. Houston77

Supporting Member

I think you need to learn the definition of “all evidence.” Discarding the evidence of him dominating for long stretches puts you pretty squarely in the “blind hater” camp.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The issue here is I see the use of words like "feeling", "faith", "sense", etc.

What does the data say about "giving up on" or making a future investment in JG by extending him to a large contract? I think that's where the conversation needs to be focused on. Where are the fans of the organization instead of player only fans who just want to die on hills?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A random 8 game sample where he shot 47% from 3 despite being a 33% 3 point shooter is CLEARLY a fluke and not something you base an opinion on. It's not something that is sustainable....and he's back to shooting 22% from 3 since the fluke hot streak ended.

I get why you want to focus on 8 games out of 222....but that's looking for an excuse to fuel your blind faith more than something legitimate.

19. zjcblord21

zjcblord21 Member

Data is just data, it is not saying anything. I am not judging Green on his data. I am judging him on his performance in the past three years at the court (especially the third year), which I saw with my own eyes. I am judging him on the comparison between him and every other players I watched. I watched three years, he disappointed me a lot. That's my feel, so, after two or three games after all-star break this season (I know he had a habit of playing better after all-star, so I intentionally waited three games ), I finally decided to give up on him. The winning streak afterwards certainly lighted some hope again, so I am now willing to watch him play another season, but I still have very high doubts.

I don't think there is anything to be focused on if I am discussing with Winnie-the-Pooh, after he throwed the 'basic basketball common sense' conclusion, I think there is no need to discuss. To him, all the people who lost faith with JG4 are lacking a basketball common sense. That's absolutely ridiculous.

20. Houston77

Supporting Member

He averaged thirty points over 15 games.