1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shohei Ohtani betting scandal?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Radricky, Mar 20, 2024.

1. Qan

Qan Member

Let's see how much MLB will protect Ohtani and try to downplay this.

everyday eddie and Radricky like this.
  2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Also completely possible that the video review operator in Boston that was rehired and is now with the Dodgers was a rogue employee.

juicystream and Radricky like this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

4. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

How are they going to punish the Astros for this?

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

So many weird things about this story. I will let more details come out before I come to any conclusion. As long as he didn't bet on baseball, I don't really care. Shohei has enough money to cover this easily with his sponsorship money. Maybe Shohei is like MJ and Mikelson and just can't help himself. Maybe the interpreter told the bookie that he was making bets for Shohei to get more credit. The biggest question is how do you get down that much and not figure out maybe you shouldn't be betting? Supposedly Mikelson lost 100 million over the course of his career. Then again, CEO's make billion dollar bets and lose all the time.

HeyBudLetsParty likes this.
  6. HeyBudLetsParty

Agree with this, 4.5 million is more than most of will see in our lifetime but to a billionaire, maybe just a slightly pricey vice that won’t change their day to day life

Also have a hard time believing that Ohtani, who lived in the dorms, took minimal allowance, and deferred his contract has a gambling problem. Would be a Watson level surprise I suppose.

7. lnchan

Supporting Member

https://sports.yahoo.com/shohei-oht..._YPcnQVPVU6u3zckKC6dxyXSqgjAqR9Oct50AizfHDg8H

Interesting timeline:
    September-October 2023: $1 million is sent to Bowyer under Ohtani's name
    Bank records show Ohtani's name on two $500,000 wire transfers sent to an associate of Bowyer's. The description section of the transfers read "loan." One ESPN source claims that Bowyer allowed people to believe Ohtani was a client to help his business.

Mizuhara later claims this was done after Ohtani agreed to cover $4.5 million of his gambling debts. Ohtani allegedly "wasn't happy" but said he would help to make sure Mizuhara wouldn't do it again. Ohtani was also said to have logged onto his own computer and sent the wires under Mizuhara's supervision:

Asked why Ohtani didn't simply give him the money instead of paying Bowyer's associate directly, Mizuhara said Ohtani didn't trust him with the money.

"He didn't want me to gamble it away," Mizuhara said.

Mizuhara said he told Ohtani he would pay him back.
    [...]
    On Tuesday, Ohtani's camp said the player was helping Mizuhara with his gambling debts, and on Wednesday, that same camp said Mizuhara made it all up and was a thief.

That change of story, naturally, led to a torrent of conspiracy theories about Ohtani's involvement in the gambling, but the details reported independent of Mizuhara's account all line up with the idea that the interpreter was the one who was illegally gambling. Of course, that doesn't mean something more isn't going on behind the scenes.

It’s also worth noting that using a wire “which entitles the recipient to receive money or credit as a result of bets or wagers” is explicitly listed in the U.S. criminal code as a violation that can result in a fine or imprisonment for up to two years, which might explain the about-face after Mizuhara said Ohtani himself sent the wire transfer.

This probably wasn't what the Dodgers and MLB were envisioning for the immediate aftermath of Ohtani's debut in Dodger blue.

8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

You sound like a gambler.

9. Radricky

Radricky Member

MLB has to at least conduct an investigation.
    If there were any other player he wouldn’t be presumed innocent

juicystream likes this.
  10. lnchan

Supporting Member

No they won't lol. They barely investigated the death of Tyler Skaggs.

Stephen66 and Radricky like this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Turns out the rules only applying to some people isn't just how the US legal system works.

Perhaps the MLB will come out and say that Ohtani is too feeble minded, that his memory is too poor, for the rules to apply to him. I hear that's a popular tactic.

BlindHog and J.R. like this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

If it sounds like a whitewash, looks like a whitewash and pressed like a whitewash...

13. Rvo384

Rvo384 Member

Wow

14. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

You don't give an interpreter access to that amount of cash. Lawyers on the other hand...

Rvo384 likes this.
  15. kaw1988

kaw1988 Member

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I know it's weird but I could totally see Ohtani trying to help out his friend by paying off his gambling debt. I would do it for my kids, family and some friends (like 3 in my life) if I had the means.

17. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Jake Tower likes this.
  18. Radricky

Radricky Member

So you’re telling me that the dodgers owner had a meeting after the game and announced that there was a story coming out and didn’t even talk to Ohtani first?
    That’s when Ohtani learned about missing money??
    SURE JAN :)

Stephen66 likes this.
  19. lnchan

Supporting Member

But in less than 24 hours, be willing to make accusations against them that will likely have them end up in jail? Accusing someone of stealing $4.5 million will lead to more jail time than simple gambling issues.

Stephen66, Qan and Rvo384 like this.
  20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

#60 jim1961, Mar 21, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    Marshall Bryant likes this.