1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson - Point [Forward or Guard?]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Oct 6, 2023.

?

Where should Amen spend most of his minutes?

1. Guard

203 vote(s)
    70.7%
  2. Forward

65 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. other

19 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Looked like they were checking on his ankle. He came up lame on his last layup attempt off the give and go from Jalen.

2. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

Both but they don't let him be a guard or run the offence

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Hope he will be okay.

roslolian and Deckard like this.
  5. kpdark

kpdark Member

6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

When Amen was drafted, I was thinking that this guy has to be special in every other way possible to overcome the huge shooting negative. And he’s actually exceeded that. The speed at which he’s actually learning and putting what he’s learning into action is pretty amazing. I honestly think he’s gonna turn out to be our best prospect.

Y2JT, Bo6, BonziWellsGOAT and 7 others like this.
  7. hahachui

hahachui Member

My favourite Rockets
    From Tari Eason
    To Alpi
    To Amen

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The cerebral, tangible, intangible and fundamental parts are all there.

Aruba77 and roslolian like this.
  9. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I'm going to piggy back my own post here..

I was thinking about this further.

If Alp did make it back and Amen stayed a starter, this bench unit would be pretty solid IF Cam was able to get back. :)

Holiday
    Cam
    DB
    Uncle J
    Jock

Know I'm dreaming postseason here but I'm LOVING this run! Bring on the Bulls. Make it 7!!!

10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

He's been unstoppable on the glass. I remember early on in the draft process I got clowned for saying he would be a perfect fit next to Sengun in an Aaron Gordon type role. He's proving that he doesn't need a jumper to be insanely effective.

He is not Ben Simmons in any way, shape, or form.

11. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Next year Eason Jabari and Amen will killllllll teams on the boards.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. OremLK

OremLK Member

What I love about Amen's game is the simplicity of it. There's so much room for growth because he's already so effective while just doing the basic things due to his length, IQ, and all-quadrants athleticism. If he can get more advanced with his ballhandling and finishing, become even a little bit of an outside threat as shooter, get even better at seeing the court and passing... there are so many things he can level up and just keep getting better, but he's already an impact player even without those improvements.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Amen is the best of both worlds. High floor and high ceiling.

Stephen_A, A_3PO, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  15. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'm still shaking my head a bit at those who were calling Amen a bust.

Don't remember how many. Maybe just a relative few. But aren't'chall happier now?

And the congregation said,

"Amen."

Stephen_A and Nook like this.
  16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Amen and Sengun can only function well together in the starting lineup if one of them develop a 3 point shot. Amen can't do what he's currently doing if Sengun's on the court due to spacing issues. He's currently allowed to play essentially the old Capella role because he has Jabari spacing the floor as a stretch 5.

In the end, this team's issue is still shooting. The young guys need to flat out shoot better if the team is to take the next step.

17. Nook

Nook Member

I agree with this in generalized terms - but I do not agree with this necessarily for every player.

Amen Thompson is shooting 16% from 3 this season, I do not know what he will shoot next year, even with a lot of work. He would need to double his efficiency to really have his three point shot be better than his midrange, where he already shoots in the high 30's% from the floor.

Thompson is an unusual case. 90% of the time I agree with your position, but not necessarily with Amen.

He may grow into this - he combines a strong base, with a 7'0" wingspan, excellent body control inside, a non stop motor and an extreme level of athleticism. If he turns out like Shawn Marion, that is a good outcome - he reminds me athletically of Larry Nance, which is similar to Marion in someways.

I can tell you right now Thompson and the Rockets believe he is a lead guard long term. That can change though obviously.

What I think is apparent is that Thompson is a long term NBA player - and he will either be a high level role player or a very good starter. Right now he could focus 100% on defense, rebounding and finishing and he would be a double-double and could likely lead the league in rebounds.

xcrunner51 and dobro1229 like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

The drive and finish he had early in the game - only maybe 3-5 players in the league could execute like that.... he was going at elite speed, the body control, he moved sideways without slowing down, and then the ability to finish as explosively as he did. He really really has a lot of physical ability.

19. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Gonna have to disagree on this.

They're both smart players. Amen see's the lanes. Alp will catch him just like he did KJM. They both need to shoot it better no doubt, but in the meantime they'll be fine.

Not like DB is a great shooter.

Have you seen Amen's FG %?
    :eek:

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Sengun is closer to developing a respected 3 ball than Thompson, if Apli develops his it will give a lot of latitude to Thompson. NBA defenses will adjust to backdoor plays if it's your only source of offense in the half court.

As currently stands, it will be very difficult to play those 2 together with any regularity. Its very hard in 2024 to have a good offense with 2 non shooters on the floor together regularly. The backup C likely won't be a shooter either if they keep Adams.

glimmertwins and Pringles like this.