1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. Marshall Bryant

I'm certainly NOT the one pushing for foolish spending. Spreadsheets help you plan ahead and budget resources.

2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Nico
    Tank
    Brown
    Metchie
    Woods
    Hutchinson

We have not upgraded this position and some might argue drafting a WR in the draft that’s fine but we also need to upgrade with a proven veteran as well.

Those weapon of WRs outside of tank and Nico are not threats and would make games tough for Stroud again should one of Nico or tank get hurt again.

I would prefer

Nico
    Tank
    Outside vet Diggs / Aiyuk / Boyd / renfrow / Higgins
    Brown
    Rookie

#4802 Rudyc281, Mar 17, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
    raining threes likes this.
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

Just saying, never underestimate your opponents turning things around in the future. They have $50,000 in space this year along with the #7 and #38 draft picks.

They have way more cap space than the rest of the division next year too, so they can go for a couple big time free agents.

TEN $135,514,158
    HOU $85,277,851
    IND $82,568,416
    JAC $42,643,310

Buck Turgidson and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Member

The only thing that has consistently one divisions consistently and in the playoffs is great QB play.

Bills, Chiefs, Patriots for so many years.

Indianapolis in the Texans infant years.

I am not worried about Tenessee as even with a really good coach, there lack of talent showed.

Levis is really bad, and theres nothing he showed me this year to say, he is going to compete for a title.

The Jaguars are certainly a wild card to me as Lawrence is a good QB. Just not elite.

It also remains to be seen if Anthony Richardson can stay on the field, let alone become a good QB.

The certainty is in Houston. They have an elite QB, the two best wide receivers in the division and arguably the best front 7.

5. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

Well then, if all we need is a good QB to win a Superbowl I guess all the discussions and debates and hype over free agency and the draft are pointless.

J_Hunter_1977, eliefor3 and GOATuve like this.
  6. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

How much money is Teair Tart asking for? I don't understand why we just didn't resign him after the Collins/Armstead fiasco.

7. Marshall Bryant

They can only improve if Amy sells the team to someone who's not a JERK. It is the ONLY way to remove the CURSE of ADAMS.

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

They could draft another QB at #7 who might be better. Who knows about Mayo. They do have the cap space to replace him after next year with a better QB if he isn't good enough. Money talks in free agency for signing guys.

9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

LOL

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Nothing says Levis is bad.
    Except your biased opinion.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, I think Levi’s is going to be very good, not CJ good, but good. He could get she’ll shocked though with that awful line, but he seems to be a tough kid.

GOATuve, macho GRANDE and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. Marshall Bryant

Now that it looks like the Early FA period is over, how do we assess the Team, not meeting expectations. (ie - we didn't get Armstead, but who do we have)

My thought is to break it down by rooms: This is a preliminary list. Suggestions will be appreciated.

1. QB - 1 Starter, 1 backup, 1 Emergency
    2. RB - 1 Starter, 1 HB, 1 Backup RB
    3. REC - 4 Starters, 4 Rotation backups (TEs in this group)
    4. OL - 5 Starters, 5 backups
    5. DL - 4 Starters, 4 Rotation backups
    6. LB - 3 Starters, 3 Rotation backups
    7. CB - 2 Starters, 2 backups
    8. DB - 2 Starters, 2 backups, 1 nickel
    9. ST - LS, K, P (exclusive ST only)

24 O + 23D + 3 ST = 50 I'd like 1 more to match the top 51 Cap number.

#4812 Marshall Bryant, Mar 17, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
    GOATuve likes this.
  13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Right. I’m extremely happy I was wrong about CJ. He’s got everything you need to be a franchise player.
    But Levis showed a lot last year too. Him and AR both have crazy high potential.

Ancient Moabite and GOATuve like this.
  14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

They'll probably draft the best OL at #7, and add to it in FA next year, but I'm hoping we have some fun against their front line with our defense this year. Sack attack!

Qan and cmoak1982 like this.
  15. Qan

Qan Member

The current Texans pass rush going to do to him what the early 2010s Texans did to Blaine Gabbert. Going to make him instinctively drop to the ground just seeing a Texans 2 feet from him.

deb4rockets and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. Marshall Bryant

I wonder exactly what Demeco envisions as his perfect DTs? Mass? Edge Hybrids? Nascar 4-EDGE? Would he prefer a Newton or a Sweat? Will it work?

I'm old enough to remember both Doomsday and Doomsday II in Dallas (when I couldn't get an AFL/AFC signal and grew up with a defensive mindset. The game has changed, but my enthusiasm for Defense has not. We just seem to be so close to an absolutely dominant D I can taste it.

By the way, a dominant D means more opportunities for the Offense.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

That’s the hope.
    Do hope we can get some DT depth.

Qan likes this.
  18. Marshall Bryant

I do not think it is a coincidence that Sweat is expected to be there at 42 with plan Bs just in case he's not. He would be a bit high at 23.

Sometimes you do need to play the long game with trades to help out other GMs in order to maintain your viability as a trade partner.

IBTL and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. Qan

Qan Member

I think we have some DT backups...we need starters. To the draft it is. The Collins trade was kind of confusing to me.

20. Marshall Bryant

I cannot prove it, but I believe the issue was Total cap space for Danielle Hunter rather than Armstead once his deal was secured. If Armstead agreed to come, other moves would have to be made to clear cap space. I noticed many of the new contracts that have been publicized have lower cap hits in 2024 than anticipated.