1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something clicking with Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Mar 14, 2024.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

I think 3rd year T-Mac would’ve been Scottie Barnes level at worst if he wasn’t living in Vince’s shadow and was allowed to cook…21, 8, and 5 with 1.5 blocks easy…man was the 2nd best player on his team and didn’t even start half the year

I expected Green to make a leap offensively this season….little did I know he’d somehow manage to get worse on that end in year 3, and his defense going from pure trash to passable comes nowhere close to making up the difference

Green a bigger disappointment than a kid hoping for a PS5 for Christmas, and they end up unwrapping a book and some socks

2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I like how you bring up efficiency numbers from literally the 90's to prove a point. It's actually insane

the league TS% average in 1999 was 51%, it's 58% in 2023. What's more hilarious is Jalen's 3 point shooting is only 4% higher than Tmacs who only took less than 0.8 three pointer a game. That's just tells you how terribly efficient Jalen is even by 1999 standards.

Players like Tmac, SGA, Halliburton were all playing really well for their role. They just took a back seat most of the time because it was what the team needed at the time, and they improved on their existing craft year after year.

Counting stats literally mean jack shet when your efficiency is in the toilet. Only Devin Booker in recent memory has been allowed to just chuck up as many shots as he can on a horrific team. The only caveat is that Booker's efficiency was also going up along with his counting stats every season where as Green's is just tanking

#162 apollo33, Mar 15, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
  3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

happens all the time in these discussions. quietly killing me.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Kobe ya but TMac?

5. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Jalen green playing well post-asb this season with players down and pushing for play-in under ime is not the same sht as jalen green playing well post-asb on a tanking team under silas. Jalen green is still inefficient which is worrisome. Both things can b the tru, mind boggling i know.

roslolian and wlekfjv923n like this.
  6. invocux

invocux Member

Fundamentally Green fans are not different than Marvel fans. Both groups have below average to average iq. Did Iron Man just build a flying submarine that uses lemon juice as fuel in 2 nanoseconds?!!! he's 312 IQ according to the creator so i'm not really surprised he's that awesome. OMG Spiderman ran out of web but he dropped his pants and farted web on Anaconda-Man that's why he's da goat! And Jalen can jump high and dunk which is an inconceivably magical thing for them because they are nowhere near athletic enough to dunk the basketball just like Marvel fans are nowhere near clever, skilled enough to be as good as their heroes. These 2 group value the qualities others have very highly if they don't posses the same qualities. They don't understand that not every skill makes a guy a good basketball player.

I'll elaborate. Anyone who watches the Boys show will remember that translucent guy. They blew him up by sticking grenade in his ass. Him being invisible didn't help saving his skin. He was easy to guard for the boys. Don't remember how they caught him but i'd probably throw some paint on him and all his superheroness would go out the window. Jalen is Translucent. Just block his path, put Herb like some guy with active hands on him and he will look like a scrub. If he can't attack the rim he turns into a nobody. In the playoffs they won't even call those fouls and he won't be able to get to the ft line. Jalen fans can't see that because they don't have the processor for that so they just believe in Jalen. Someday, somehow he will wake up and be good. You just have to have faith in him bro. They believe in him Like Aunt May always believed in Parker (or did she? i don't watch that weak ass ****). These two groups live in the same fantasy world. Like i just typed "Jalen Green Spiderman" on Twitter search bar and this is the first thing came up. You can't make this up these are the type of people we are dealing with

7. MadMax

TMac is in the HOF. He had an absurd career. I’d be shocked if Jalen was that. Pleasantly so…but shocked.

8. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

There is no story about green's bad shooting, like he is taking last second shots, Sengun is doing that, or he is taking 3s that are from distances. There is only one story, he is not a good 3pt shooter. Simple as that, I am sure ime already accepted and the only solution is to work on that.

You can see his missed 3s below and can easily verify it is not a distance thing. He has a bad shooting form, among other things.

https://thehighlow.io/video/player/nba/2023-24/1630224/miss3p?ordsq=asc&shotFilters=

roslolian likes this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Ah yes a tweet back from 2021 is just stellar evidence to support your nonsensical rambling to sht on folks who root for green. Folks usually root for players on their team to do well not just have blind love for one man (Sengun). Like are u even watching the rockets anymore since sengun is out or u just on here to btch about jalen green?

10. Ancient Moabite

No doubt if Tmac were given starter minutes his points etc would be up across the board, but his efficiency would have been KD with Sea/OKC first couple or so seasons, and that was the with KD killing it at UT for a season

TMac was like Green entering draft, fresh out of HS and high talented, McGrady to me was better propsect, I would have taken him 2nd overall in that draft off top

Consistency is his biggest hurdle, and of course his shot and other things we could nitpick about

Green is basically doing what all HS or a lot of one and done prospects do, find their way by year 4

Its like me seeing Booker who came out of I think Kentucky or one of those high end programs his first year or so with Suns...... I said to myself I see a future 25 ppg scorer, but he was nowhere near this level, he was basically Green with a more polished floor game and a good coach in college to set him up for the league

If Green can take what he has done overall the past 20 games and stretch that to all star break, then he will be what I thought for most part

If he continues his career trend of starting trash next season, his trade deadline news will be 100x more legit and bound to happen

TBD

11. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

love this guy's posts

Roomba likes this.
  12. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I think of green as someone like oladipo before the injury in okc. If properly motivated he can be a problem

13. MadMax

McGrady year 3 was a decidedly better player than Jalen is this season. We have to stop this.

14. Ancient Moabite

Lets just look at those players development or floor game when the entered the league, forget TS% for whatever era

The eye test showed how they developed in their role within the minute time frame, its been plenty of young players who have had green lights to do as a they please, and they all progressed diff and outside of Bron, JG is the latest to come straight out of HS and he ain't no Bron

Thing is Booker didn't inherit a D minded coach so while Booker offensive numbers went up efficient wise, you could say Green has been such a focus on Ime D scheme that it has taken him time to readjust also to being the 3rd option early in season as being co-1st with KPJ last year

If Green plays like he has been playing past 20 games as of now over into first 35-40+ games of next season, then all those previous yrs stats will just be footnotes or filler for his documentary...... Nothing more nor less

Its been up n down for sure, especially as 2nd overall pick, but I bet Stone and Tilman/Udoka are willing to roll dice and bank on next season him becoming what they projected

Green seems to be one of the main reasons Udoka took the job, once Udoka publicly announces he is out on Green, then its a time to move on

If Udoka keeps praising Green about his good stretch of games up until the end of 25' season, then things get interesting on the extension front

15. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jalen hasn't been consistent all year. He's up and down up and down. He is ranked 31 in TS% of all shooting guards. Break it down even more and it's nothing to cheer about.

There are 16 shooting guards who play over 30 minutes per game and have a 44% or better FG%
    Jalen has only shot 44% or better in 12 of the past 38 games. He also shot under 20% in 12 of those games.

There are 16 shooting guards who play 30 or more minutes per game that average 34% or better from behind the arc. Jalen shot 34% or better in only 12 of the last 38 games, but also shot under 20% in 12 of those games.

His past 10 game stretches....

FG% 44.7/31.5/33.7
    3PT 33.7/17.7/26.2

For those saying he's finally figured it out, he's gonna be great, he's our future franchise player, we need to trade Sengun to build around Jalen, blah blah blah I just don't feel it. He has had one good (not great) 10 game stretch lately, but all season long he's gone up and down and up and down. I hate the thought of building our team around him for the future when there are far better fish in the sea. If we sign him to a big deal, on hopes and dreams we might just get catfished. o_O

16. Ancient Moabite

Mcgrady was the better prospect/player to me

If you think Tmac third year was better.......than who are you bringing that to? I never compared their seasons as who was better, just their development (efficiency)/HS to NBA move

What we have to stop doing is thinking all players develop the same no matter the era or position

Tmac should have started day one, and he would be raw and not as efficient as his Orlando stint, he would have flashed his all star potential with a bunch of flawed plays that young players make

Similar to if Cam starts and got 32 mpg or so, he would showcase his super talent and also showcase more young player bad mistakes and those on here who never played the game would call it low iq......

We can revisit this after next season, it will be very clear by then

Until then I remain bullish as I do with the entire collection of young draft picks from the rebuild

17. MadMax

They already shopped him. Udoka can’t be that in on him if they already shopped him. I desperately want Jalen to be who a ton of you guys think he is. That would be so fun

18. fchowd0311

No one said we need to trade Sengun because of Green expect one person who probably wasn't serious.

Also I've noticed your analysis of basketball can be done complete without watching a single game.

19. MadMax

I wasn’t “bringing that” to you because I was agreeing with you

I see a ton of folks here making Kobe and TMac comparisons, and I think that’s absurd. I don’t want to have to push back on a player on my favorite team, but it just kills me. Jalen Green is not Tracy McGrady and he damn sure isn’t Kobe Bryant. Even in year 3….and definitely thereafter.

I would love to feel differently about that…and I’d ALL CAPS LOVE if he finished with a career like either one of those cats. I don’t think he’s that, but I’d love to be wrong about it.

Williamson likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

I definitely think Green can be better than TMac as his ceiling is a more athletic Devin Booker. But then again the odds of that are getting smaller and smaller.

Just maybe players develop at different rates with different context. This especially can happen if Green has a healthy career. Tmac 's prime is extremely short. For example, Booker doesn't have the same peaks as Tmac but will end up being higher up in all time rankings.