1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something clicking with Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Mar 14, 2024.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Let's say he is Top 5, however I will still put him behind Wemby and Chet but where would that put him as far as overall players in the league.

And since you put him behind Sabonis, you mean to tell me Indy can trade him and come out on the better end, Houston can't trade Sengun and do the same?

2. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Do they though? Did SGA look like a superstar with the Clippers? Did Haliburton look like a superstar with the Pacers? Did Dwight Howard look like a superstar his first go round with the Lakers? Did T-mac look like a superstar with the Raptors coming off the bench and averaging 15ppg on 45/27/70 splits? Sounds like more made up nonsense like a lot of the "this is some inane statement I made as a proclamation of fact based entirely on my own confirmation bias" posts.

Ancient Moabite and fchowd0311 like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Jalen Green vs top 10 defenses:

16 ppg on 37% from the field and 28% from deep

Jalen Green vs bottom 10 defenses:

20 ppg on 46% from the field and 31% from deep

A_3PO, invocux, OremLK and 1 other person like this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Jalen Green vs top 10 defenses:

16 ppg on 37% from the field and 28% from deep

Jalen Green vs bottom 10 defenses:

20 ppg on 46% from the field and 31% from deep

[​IMG]

apollo33 and SamFisher like this.
  5. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I really want to believe but I think I've convinced myself he's finally "turned the corner" about a dozen times. It would be absolutely amazing if he turned into the player we all envisioned when he was drafted, or frankly, anything remotely resembling that. I'll be over the moon if he proves me wrong, but thus far, it's been when I've chosen to believe in him that he's proved me wrong. So at this point I am going to err on the side of caution and have more of a wait and see approach to Jalen.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

Where is the lie tho? SGA was a rookie, c’mon Dobizzle.

T-Mac was still learning in Toronto, but Orlando T-Mac would be looking like a superstar no matter what team he was on. Same with SGA now.

Dwight’s back was already busted by the time he got to LA…Orlando Dwight would have dominated on any team in any system

Haliburton’s only issue in Sacramento is he wasn’t given the reigns due to Fox

IvanLCPM, maypk and J.R. like this.
  8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Which kinda just proved my point no? He said "superstars look like they are in any system" I just said they weren't, and you agreed with me. All of our draft picks have played less time with Houston than Tmac played with Toronto. That 15.4 on 45/27/70 is his 3rd season, same as Jalen and Sengun. So you just made a very strong argument that all of our guys have plenty of time to develop and turn into stars, I agree with you.

Hell, let's take it a step further. This is the side by side comparison of Tmac's 2nd season (per 36) and 3rd season (per 36) and Jalen "Bust" Green's.

Tmac 2nd year per 36: 14.9pts 3.7 assists 9 rebounds 43/22/72
    JG4 2nd year per 36: 23.3pts 3.9 assists 3.9 rebounds 41/33/78

Tmac 3rd year per 36: 17.7pts 3.8 assists 7.3 rebounds 45/27/70
    JG4 3rd year per 36: 21.6pts 3.9 assists 5.6 rebounds 41/31/80

Outside of Tmac having 3-4 inches of extra height, those look like pretty similar players to me. Insane how one of them didn't "look like a superstar in every system" and became a superstar, yet the other (better scoring/shooting/assisting) guy is a sure fire bust.

#148 Dobbizzle, Mar 15, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
    Ancient Moabite likes this.
  9. monster

monster Member

He’s going to prove a lot of doubters wrong. As he continues to fill out his frame, and gain experience/smarts, he will be an all-star one day

10. MystikArkitect

I'm assuming you mean Haliburton with the Kings....not the Pacers. And he was 3rd in the ROY race, averaged 15 PPG both years on 47% from the field. They just weren't sold on him being the guy and so far they've been right. He's good but the Pacers aren't beating anybody with that brand of bootleg Nash-Suns ball. Now SGA. The guy that was the centerpiece of a trade for Paul George. 10.8 PPG on 48% from the field in his one year. Too early to tell and he was the equivalent of the Cavs trading Andrew Wiggins away for Kevin Love. Dwight Howard was already a star idk wtf you're talking about with that one. T-Mac was on an upwards trajectory but the Raptors dealt him anyway.

The implication of limiting or trading Sengun to free up the court for Jalen ****ing Green (or any of these other flawed players) is absurd. Even more absurd is the notion that playing an uptempo streetball brand of ball like the Pacers is a direction we need to be following. If you can't dissect a defense in the half court then you can't win in this league. No one else on this team is even close the Alpy in terms of offensive output. I'd have to combine all of Jalen/Cam/Jabari/Amen to equal one Sengun when it comes to threatening a real NBA defense and not just the Washington Wizards.

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

One person made that suggestion and I'm not sure if they are serious.

Take it from me as a big Jalen fan, trading Sengun to "free Jalen" is a horrible horrible horrible idea.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Huh?

“superstars look like superstars in any system” was in response to someone saying Sengun and his style of play is essentially holding back the rest of the young guys

you’re bringing up rookie season Shai and guys like Dwight fresh off back surgery…u brought up Tyrese Haliburton who in his 1st 2 seasons averaged an efficient 18, 4, and 9 in games Fox didn’t play…T-Mac came straight outta high school playing in Vince Carter’s shadow his 2nd and 3rd season

Shai, Hali, young T-Mac all just needed the opportunity to blow up…Jalen has been given that opportunity from day 1

13. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

LOL!

We need more of these renderings.

harold bingo likes this.
  14. pippsux

pippsux Member

His nuts dropped!!!!
    That's why he playing like a man possesed.

We get AP one of them Htown thots :Dand that combo gonna be fire next season, especially with Adams playing Center

15. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Oh don't get me wrong, I don't at all dispute that trading Sengun is a r****ded as **** idea lmao. I'm just saying "superstars look like superstars no matter the system" aint it either. Plenty of times superstars were lesser players in a system that didn't fit. I personally just think if you remove FVV from the equation our team can all fit great together, but everybody has this obsession with only keeping the one guy they like and trading other players with potential rather than playing them together. Mental, but what you gonna do?

MystikArkitect likes this.
  16. Ancient Moabite

Just speaking on toward the end of what you wrote.....

I wouldn't trade Sengun because you need balance / options etc

But also as of now you can't dismiss the advantage you have and not use it with a healthy Cam (when back)/Green/Amen in tow, you take advantage of that Supreme park ball up tempo because fast break pts are vital, easy points to alleviate the half court grind

The Rockets ran plenty of old Jazz two man game with VV/AP, so they are capable of doing both but with their low block hub out of action, then you go more so called street ball with NBA defense scheme of Ime....the half court game will rely more now on VV/Green (co 1st options) with Bari coming to realization he is now 2nd option and gets more shots/posts in the half court game

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

T-Mac’s shots per 36 and usage 2nd season: 12.5, 22%

T-Mac’s shots per 36 and usage 3rd season: 14.9, 24%

Jalen’s shots per 36 and usage 2nd season: 18.8, 28%

Jalen’s shots per 36 and usage 3rd season: 18.2, 27%

let young T-Mac get the rock and chuck it up like Jalen, and he’d blow Jalen’s statlines out the water

not every young player got to chuck to their heart’s content coming into the league like Jalen…that’s why I don’t put much stock in these “Jalen 1 of 5 players to score 30 or 40 this many times at age X” Twitter posts…because there are so many players that were far better than Jalen Green even if they didn’t have his amount of high scoring games

Shai didn’t even have a single 40 point game until his 3rd season, yet even Shai’s 2nd season where his career high was a measly 32 points sh*ts on anything Jalen has done to date

#157 Reeko, Mar 15, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
    apollo33 likes this.
  18. Ancient Moabite

I feel TMac would have scored like Green with the same efficiency since he came straight out of HS and needed time to develop though he was ultra talented .... His pre draft comp was a athletic Magic who could shoot

Green has gotten to show more flashes of what he could be, but also the starter minutes have given us the flip side where he has been at 40/41 fg% first few seasons and highlighting how super raw a prospect he was

McGrady would have showcased the bad more his first 3 yrs starting coming straight out of HS, pretty sure about that

Shai and others develop diff

And if you brought the Green stock this offseason, then I could see the frustration, especially when you banked on him as the pick to lead the rebuild

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Really can't scale like that. Tmac first few years he was playing the Whitmore role of off ball explosive player with good d. 40% of his fgs were unassisted compared to Jalen around 60% his first few seasons.

So if you let TMC "cook" he would have to utilize on ball skills he hasn't developed yet and you would see a major dip in efficiency and a major uptick in turnovers.

20. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

This is where you guys lose me. I hope Jalen is really good ultimately. But the constant comparisons to guys like Kobe and TMac just kill me.

No Worries and maypk like this.