1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cougar Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Progs, Mar 14, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Buck Turgidson

MadMax likes this.
  2. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

All Houston's defense knows is swarming effort and they do it all 40 minutes. Watching with a naked eye, it does seem we're not whistled for as many fouls as we commit. They mostly happen during opponents' shots at the rim. This might be a Seattle Legion of Boom situation where the refs adjust to the aggressiveness by not calling every penalty. Whatever it is, don't stop now.

Sidenote: 2024 Coogs are shooting their 3rd worst FT% in the Sampson era -- thought we had improved. Close tourney games could get scary.

Jake Tower likes this.
  3. Buck Turgidson

Hmmm...

UNLV?

4. Houstunna

Supporting Member

We know where your heart resides.

That school by the Brazos River.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

I like Kansas st a lot. They have some dogs on that team. Jerome tang is a very good coach too. Tough and solid tacticion. Ksu is also fighting for a spot in the tourney. A win tonight should get them in

MadMax likes this.
  6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Not true…not this year. In 2021, I absolutely wanted to see that Baylor squad win a title. They all came back (especially Butler) because they felt they had unfinished business due to the 2020 tourney being cancelled. I love those guys, honestly. They went all in…and they OWNED that super special Gonzaga team. Scott Drew is a good dude, and it’s good to see good people win. That was a team of really good people…and I could go on and on about how in on Baylor basketball I was as a freshman…and then a whole lotta crap happened.

But I’m 1000000% rooting for the Coogs to win the natty this year. It’s their time. I help coach tournament teams through a non-profit along with my son…who also coaches hoops for a living now after having given up a career in accounting. I’ve said before here, he’s the biggest Coog fan I ever met, and he’s awesome. The influence of Kelvin over how he coaches and over how we run that program is tangible. I LOVE teams that are built that way…the only pro sports teams I ever was truly excited for winning a title outside of Houston was the Saints (NOLA is our sister city and the non-profit we coach through was largely a reaction to helping out with people resettled from Katrina— and I got to watch that game with them on a huge screen in our community center!!) and the Bad Boy Pistons (cause **** you we play defense!!!). Chuck Daly (rest his soul) would LOVE this Coogs team.

I’m a 4th generation Houstonian and I went to law school at UH. My dad went to UH. My older son targeted UH as HIS SCHOOL from the time he was about 15. I’m all in on the Coogs this year. I love Baylor (met my wife there and good friends. — like the current coach at Tech)…but I want to see UH get its much deserved natty this year. That is 1000% where my heart resides.

7. Houstunna

Supporting Member

big-cats-cougar.gif lion-puma.gif giphy (1).gif

MadMax and seemoreroyals like this.
  8. solid

solid Contributing Member

Anything less than the Final four is going to be a disappointment. They didn't have a particularly good offensive game today but still won by a good margin. On a hot shooting day, they blow anybody out.

MadMax and GOATuve like this.
  9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

11. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Not that it matters but we should have kept the lead over 20 if not for the poor judgement by Dunn in the last minute of the game. He had a solid game for him other than the last minute. During Ryan time he decided to try to pad stats and on our last three possessions he threw up two lightly contested airballs and clanked a three pointer off the rim.

The game was over. Don't know what he was thinking. Would have loved for him to find Ryan Elvin and give him a chance to score some points. It just seemed odd for Dunn went into ball hog mode. Given the circumstances he should have just dribbled the ball out. I know I am splitting hairs but that was the only thing I could find to criticize about yesterday's game. That and giving up the 30 offensive rebounds. But that was just a fluke. Something we will in all likelihood never see again.

Houstunna likes this.
  12. YOLO

YOLO Member

the 4 top teams all made it to the semis. Something you don't see too often in cbb. Both matchups should be good

Texas Tech tonight at 6pm. Darrion Williams rolled his ankle pretty good yesterday. He eventually game back but was clearly not able to move as well. Stay healthy UH!

I've seen enough of Iowa St. Rooting for the Texas Finals and another Baylor game

#8312 YOLO, Mar 15, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2024
  13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

After Tugler went down I put the round of eight as the likely ceiling.

They are going to feel the pain from the lack of depth inside in the tournament.

They're gonna need a few lucky bounces or matchups to get to the FF.

YOLO likes this.
  14. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah my expectations adjusted significantly because i realize UH can get next to nothing from the bench at this point. Lath is literally just a body to run around right now. He's even counted as half a player by KS right now. This will help him get experience and get better for next season and beyond to see how it is on the floor in these type of games but as far as right now it's pretty cringe.

Dunn has pretty much been a dud. probably the biggest disappointment this year. Can you imagine if Mark stayed and is in that Dunn role. Dunn is a perfect example of how not everyone fits a program. They might look good elsewhere when they have free reigns and can do what they want but at UH its a different story. Even Cryer got that reality check but he adjusted very well.

I expect UH to get to the 2nd weekend. That's where the lack of depth will be severely tested. Shead/Cryer will probably have to play 38-40 mins in those games

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

i
    Well we won't have to wait long to find out. I am looking for someone from the bench to surprise.

16. DonnyMost

Dunn has absolutely been the biggest disappointment. I was shocked how he didn't mesh. He was Temple's best player by a mile and he has just floundered here. He looked like Kyler Murray 2.0 but it just hasn't materialized. He would be riding pine hard if not for injuries.

That's the hope. But who? We're so damn thin. Lath, Wilson, Dunn. Somebody has to show out hard in the tournament for us to have a chance.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yeah man. I remember that annoying attitude he had when he was at Temple. I thought it would translate over fairly well. Oh man was that off lol

Re-posting this again for hope for the next 3 weeks :D

18. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Sounds harsh, but life can be harsh. A "lucky bounce" could be other teams getting injured too.

It seems Coogs haven't been 90% healthy in any recent tournament.

I'm not rooting for injuries, just some sort of evening of the playing field. This situation wouldn't be so bad if Jimmy V didn't luck out on the final second or if Dusty wasn't sexing Maldy.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

UH was healthy when they made it to the Elite 8 2 years ago. They were also healthy when they went to the Final 4 3 years ago

This year has by far been the worst in KS run with injuries as far as depth. last year was bad as far as injury to their best player at the end of the year to Sasser who was barely able to play during the tourney

20. DonnyMost

Lol they were not healthy for the elite eight.

They had both Sasser and Mark out for the year.

Aware likes this.