1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green will be the Rockets' Numero Uno

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Jan 2, 2024.

1. kpdark

kpdark Member

2. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

[​IMG]

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I really think that with some added muscle, repetition of good habits he can take a similar defensive leap next season. He has responded well to Udoka's coaching on the defensive side this season, I was worried before the season that they would clash on it. Jalen just has to bring energy on defense more consistently, not letting missed shots/stops affect his commitment on that side of the ball.

Udoka said in his interview (with Iko I believe) that a big learning point from this season is to show the players how much things could be different if we executed just executed a certain number of possessions better across the entire season (like 40-50 possessions? These details matter). Taking plays off or games off takes the opportunity to be consistent away from the team. In his first season he gave good defensive effort (with a lot of rookie mistakes) maybe 20-30% of the time. Last season he was playing good defense maybe 10-20% of the time. At the moment I think his effort is good in 60-70% of games but we need to get that closer to 90% by next season.

Udoka is a big believer in building good habits and dropping bad ones, he insists on this terminology in many interviews. People who know how to build good habits understand that it takes time. A player was conditioned a lazy way for years, it will take time to un-condition those things AND install better habits. Jalen's life has been HS basketball, 1 month of G League without fans and 2 years of Silas. He hasn't even had one full season of good coaching or role models in his life. No college or pro sports. Kobe Bryant was 41% and 42% from the field his first two seasons taking half the volume of shots Jalen Green took and coming off the bench (i.e. going against bench defenders) AND with one of the most dominant players of all time on the team (Shaq + Derek Fisher + Elden Campbell + Robbert Horry + Eddie Jones + Byron Scott + Nick Van Exel). What would Kobe have achieved the past two seasons under Silas? He would magically score better than he did in that ideal situation? He would have struggled just the same. No I'm not saying Jalen Green is Kobe Bryant. I'm saying EVEN Kobe Bryant would have needed a training camp and at least half a season of Udoka to right the ship.

I think we owe Green one full season of good coaching before saying he is what he is. Every draft pick deserves that.

#1643 Mathloom, Mar 12, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
    rockets1995, BigMaloe, Nook and 4 others like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Instead he clashed with Roosh.....

clos4life likes this.
  5. clos4life

clos4life Member

I and JG only care about what coach Roosh has to say,

jordnnnn, Mathloom and daywalker02 like this.
  6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Good analysis.

Mathloom likes this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

That is such as BS take.
    Jalen's poor play was one of the reasons the Kings were still in it near the end to begin with.

8. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Jalen has one of the highest +/- on the team while playing the second most minutes behind FVV

James Johnson likes this.
  9. OnNotice

OnNotice Member

cmon man, all the young guys were missing shots, Bari, Goon and JG. In the end they came clutch with buckets

Bari baseline jumper, Sengun baby hook and JG 3 which got us the W in the end

10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

No, Green's shot doesn't count because his name's Jalen Green.

11. OnNotice

OnNotice Member

its just whatever man, ppl expect these 19-22 year olds to be perfect. I see the same **** towards every young player aswell. Bari has a bad game - he is trash, skinny w/e. Amen - no handles cant shoot. Goon - too short, no rim protection. Jalen - shot chucker, inconsistent trash. Cam - cant pass, black hole.

Let them grow, time will tell if they will have what it takes or not. Same type of yapping all the time with 0 substance is getting tiresome fr

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I said "one of the reasons".

13. Nook

Nook Member

Jalen Green was fine against the Kings.

He struggled from 3 again, but he hit his free throws, hit his 2's, didn't turn the ball over and defensively had one of his better games.

Sabo torched the Rockets though.... he is another player that just keeps improving. I cannot imagine what his old man would have been like if he had knees playing in the NBA.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

You really need to find a different go to stat.
    +/- doesn't mean much.

15. kpdark

kpdark Member

16. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

No.... This is a BS take.

Think your Jated a bit Jim.

Enjoy the game.

17. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Sorry you feel this way.
    You enjoy the game also.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

5-16 so far tonight.

[​IMG]

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Stop it lol

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Oh well, now he is better than Dream, Moses and Harden combined......:rolleyes:

Those Silas tanking points come in handy!!!