1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets would be dumb to let Houston sports media/Blogs influence them into trading Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Feb 3, 2024.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Does he have an unusually high turnover rate?

Maybe.yoymjust remember his bad plays more?

2. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I’m speaking specifically to his drives in traffic. He might not turn the ball over often when he’s on the perimeter but when he tries to drive in any traffic he is easily stripped. So a normal TO rate wouldn’t necessarily show that this is a problem. Unless you can break down TOs by location/play-type. In general, hes pretty weak. I’ve consistently said if Jalen can get stronger I wouldn’t be as worried about his future.

3. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Many people will point to that game as the reason why we shouldn’t trade him. I point to it as the reason why we should.

Corrosion and cml750 like this.
  4. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Many people will point to blue as their favourite colour. I however, will point to red. I will also realise that something isn't profound just because I worte it in a nice sounding way.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that he can have games like that but rarely does means he needs to go.

There you go.. I dumbed it down for you.

Corrosion and cml750 like this.
  6. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

That's what you got out of my post? Says it all really.

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Jalen does turn the ball over in open space because his handles are so raggedy. These are unforced errors.

I don't believe his main problem with TOs in traffic is a lack of strength, it's that he still doesn't understand in the NBA, you cannot dribble the ball in traffic against multiple defenders.

Way back in my KDOF days watching the Thunder, KD did this CONSTANTLY his first year and into his second. It was sooooo frustrating. Then he finally figured out it was something he just could not do and his #1 cause of TOs suddenly disappeared. KD, WB and Harden all had specific, memorable "light bulb" moments in their second seasons where they instantly became better players.

8. cml750

cml750 Member

I think Jalen's light bulb is rather dim.

9. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

You're going to bench this guy? He's the franchise

Bo6 likes this.
  10. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

It’s crazy that his efficiency has dropped every season to the point where he’s almost TEN percent below league average

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

We hear this after every fluke good game.... then silence during the next 10 normal bad games.

This has been the trend for nearly 3 years now

jim1961 likes this.
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He has to do it against GOOD TEAMS too - this was fun to watch - he was pretty damned good.

DD

Bo6 likes this.
  14. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

So.the equivalent of "I don't have stats to back it up but trust me bro"

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It’s not just turnovers every time he gets blocked at the rim it turns into transition buckets or quick threes for the other team. His court vision is still awful and he takes the most bad shots in the context of the game than most anyone I’ve seen playing in the NBA. Even last night when he had a good game, he started chucking up ill-advised shots when the team just needed to run time down without turning the ball over.

16. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

17. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If you don't like a player every game even good ones you will find a way to say they chucked some bad shots.

Jalen Green is a scoring guard. He will take shots you personally don't like even if he became MJ out in the court.

His court vision is fine for a 22 year old scoring guard. It isn't savant level but it's fine.

topfive likes this.
  18. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Really? It's been silent during his bad stretches?

That's like saying the Lower East Side in Manhattan is silent during Friday evenings..

topfive likes this.
  19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

If you do like a player every game even bad ones you will find a way to say they chucked some good shots.

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I have been at times been called a JOF. I have also had a history of patience in hoping that his game would turn around. I don’t dislike Jalen, I just watch the games and state my opinion. I’ve seen some improvement in Jalen’s play and have stated we should not trade him unless we get a solid return.
    I have also said he needs to earn his playing time now that he is in his third year and has regressed every year in offensive efficiency. Pointing out that he takes very ill-advised shots within the context of what is happening on the court is a valid criticism. His court vision may be improved somewhat, but it is still not fine. Is there a stat for how many times a player gets blocked at the rim? Sure seems to me that he probably leads the league in that for guards, but it is an anecdotal observation.

This was supposed to be his breakout year, but we keep moving the goalposts. he needs to show he is getting better the rest of the year at his myriad of flaws, but again there is no use in trading him unless it brings back good value.