1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texas 26K Rape-Related Pregnancies in 16 Months

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Feb 29, 2024.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the whole point is that those women now have no choice in keeping the baby of the perp that raped them.

2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It is not random. The data is utilized to underscore the reality that tens of thousands of rape survivors, who used to have the choice, are now forced to carry pregnancies to term following the overturn of Roe.

3. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I felt like I was pretty clear. The number seemed astronomically high and that's w/out doing any quick google searches. Off-the-cuff numbers suggest its closer to 4,000, not 26,000.

And instead of saying "Hey OP, you're likely passing off MISINFORMATION again", they fully welcome the misinformation because it supports their cause and instead of vilify the person who is calling out the OP. This IS disgusting behavior. Rapes, regardless of pregnancys, is not something people should be using bullshit numbers to make a cause. Again, despicable.

basso likes this.
  4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Obviously, but it implies that more women are getting pregnant.

And that's why it's stupid, Space Ghost just wasn't, clear since the study or articles is clearly against abortion but it implies the problem of pregnancies is worse as if they weren't a problem before the ban.

It's just stupid because I think we can all agree this data wouldn't change before or after the ban. We don't need a study

@Amiga also

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There's nothing in your analysis to suggest 26k is inaccurate. Back of the envelope math likes yours can be off by a factor of 10. So actually in range.

And secondly, even 4k is way too much. No woman should be forced to carry a child after rape. It's disgusting and inhumane.

6. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

No, its not even remotely in range. Stop defending this bullshit. An entire new thread was created based on this number. It wasn't buried in the dozen abortion threads that already exist. OP weaponized rape victims for a completely different cause and you continue to defend this MISINFORMATION. Despicable.
    The Ministry of Truth disapproves of this thread.
    And yes, 4000 is too much also.

basso likes this.
  7. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Can anyone find rape statistics. I wasn't supporting @Spacemoth un his challenge of the numbers but I found In 2020, there were 13,000 reported forcible rapes

This says there are 430 000 rape/sexual assault victims across the country annually
    https://www.savacenterga.org/statistics

I wasn't supporting the @Space Ghost challenge of the 26K pregnancies but given the rape statistics, the 26k seems illogical

8. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

You haven't shown the numbers to be inaccurate.

And it matters not what the number is, 1 raped woman forced to carry a child she does not want is too many. You care more about numbers and what makes sense to your world, and nothing about the consequences on these women.

That's just so sad.

Xopher likes this.
  9. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

If the numbers are false should that not be called out. See my above post about the numbers on rape

Two wrongs don't make a right. The numbers just don't seem incorrect, they seem way out of wack. But yes forcing 1, 100, or any number to carry unwanted pregnancy is truly disgusting.

I thiink @Space Ghost should have just called out the numbers Instead of moralizing about people using them.

basso likes this.
  10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

It is estimated that 2/3 rapes aren't reported. Here is post with some stats.

11. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

happy to oblige.

12. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

The estimate is 520k rape associated with 65k pregnancies over 18 months, or ~43k rape-related pregnancies from ~346k rapes over 12 months (simple linear translation). If the estimate of 43k is off by 300% higher than actual number, it's still ~10k rape-related pregnancies over 12 months.

#132 Amiga, Mar 3, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
  13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I think the total nationwide number takes that into account

14. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

it does; these are all estimates because of the nature of the crime

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

it must be true, the model says so

16. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

SO now you claim the study wrong, and based on your expert and detailed research, the number of women forced to carry and deliver birth after being raped is 4,000, not 26,000.

And you have the audacity to call anyone else despicable...

17. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

The numbers seem correct to me. It may seem out of whack the the universe is 14 billion years old, but that doesn't change what it is. Unless you can present evidence to the contrary, the way we feel about numbers is nothing unless you have evidence to the contrary. Let's operate on data, not conjecture, agreed?

I think the numbers are shocking because people don't realize how prolific rape actually is. Given 1/3 - 1/4 women get raped, and multiple times, it's not that crazy to think that 5-8% of all pregnancies are due to rape.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  18. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Because they're forced to carry the fetus to term or risk prosecution/jail time.

I don't know or care about whether there's a rise in rape pregnancies because thats debatable and secondary to either the number of women who are forced to birth rape babies and/or the actual rapes happening.

For Devil's Advocates who love arguing, the better issue to attack is whether these pregnant girls and women are being politicized and marginalizing the bigger and more "unfortunately common issue" of rapes.

The raw numbers in front of us from the abortion laws exposes a greater problem in society that hasn't changed despite MeToo and other causes to address women victimhood.

It's perverse that most Americans claim they don't want government involvement except it's clear in these matters that the victims won't get bailed out by the government. Some voter outrage and outreach is needed to enact real change like overturning abortion laws and comprehensively redefining rape statues.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Texas is 9% of united states population. According to the article there were 65k rape related pregnancies since the abortion ban. That would put at 40% of those of pregnancies.

Yes I can question 40%

Texas leads the nation in forced rapes but isn't in the top 10 in rape rate.

So yes the 26K is way out of wack

#139 pgabriel, Mar 3, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    basso likes this.
  20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Supporting Member

40%? There are probably at a half million births in Texas in that time period. 65/500 is 13%, not 40%. Your math is way off.