1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green will be the Rockets' Numero Uno

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Jan 2, 2024.

1. cumutk

cumutk Member

Great game from him..
    Appreciate it, but too early to say even if he belongs in starting five.. these stats are not sustainable and other than shooting, he does not impact game.
    I hope he carries his form, because his form will be helpful for team...

2. Darth_Kenobi

Darth_Kenobi Member

good game jalen

3. Darth_Kenobi

Darth_Kenobi Member

it reminded me kobe....

Bo6 likes this.
  4. karakedi

karakedi Member

Houston wouldn't lose a game in which he made more than 5 three-point shots at 50 percent.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And no black cat walking in front of him.

cml750 likes this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

No one would take your assessment seriously when you’re talking about a guy who got to the line 6 times a game as a 20/21 year old skinny player.

His FTR rate is only down because the paint is packed - and packed in a way that every single perimeter player on the roster is below expectations penetrating to the rim or they’re taking a tiny volume of shots there.

If you said Jalen can only be successful on a team with good spacing at the moment, that would at least make sense. He’s a quick first step guy who can beat his defender easily and terrorize you in transition; he’s not a shooter.

Jalen’s problem is not complex or spanning a number of areas. It’s just stupid shot selection. Someone will put a leash on it and get a starting SG out of this kid. Udoka thinks it’s an aggression issue but I’ve never seen a soft player keep attacking bigs stupidly even when given free reign.

Udoka needs to reduce his 3’s by about half and totally eliminate mid range shots outside the paint. IMO he should lose his starting spot if he doesn’t comply. You’re right when it comes to those shots falling, it’s fool’s gold when they do fall. He’s flat out bad at those and years away from making them passable. The rest of his game is functional and there’s no team in the league that needs those particular skills more than ours. We’re clearly at a dead end with everything else we’ve tried with this roster. We need direct penetration from the wings to take pressure off Sengun.

OremLK likes this.
  7. Mathew Diekhake

There has been talk about Green's numbers dipping in his third season. Steph Curry's numbers also took a dip in his third season.

Seeing numbers increase is good in general. But someone like Green passes the eye test very easily. I'm not concerned. I concur he is the number 1 option on this team. If all goes well, he will mature, have few life issues, and continue to grow as a player something within the realm of Anthony Edwards (today). A lot has gone right for Anthony Edwards. Jalen Green has not had thing go well this season for him. The difference between these two currently isn't as great as assumed. Playing time + coaching + chemsitry all need to improve for Green next year.

#1387 Mathew Diekhake, Mar 3, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2024
    James Johnson and OnNotice like this.
  8. OnNotice

OnNotice Member

I loved dat passion from him tonight, show some grit show some anger be it to the refs, the crowd or the opponents. Good ****. This is what our young guys need to do.

First Cam beefing with soft ass Devin then Sengun getting in the refs face getting ejected and now Jalen on whole Suns fans, players and even that lady ref lol

AroundTheWorld and Mathloom like this.
  9. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Hahahahahahahahahahh,

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

You're going for neither quality or quantity with your posts it seems.

cml750 likes this.
  10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Steph only played 26 games in his 3rd season due to injury. That’s not the story with Jalen. Even still:

Steph’s 3 point percentage went from .442 in season 2 to .455 in season 3

His FG% went from .480 in season 2 to .490 in season 3

That’s not what we are experiencing with Jalen in his season 3. We don’t have any of those shooting improvements. And Steph had those over an injury-shortened season. Jalen did have a great game last night.

https://www.basketball-reference.com/players/c/curryst01.html

#1390 MadMax, Mar 3, 2024
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Like I've said previously, Jalen's two previous yrs we SAW what he could do and HOPED what he would become. He had several 40pt games and numerous 30 pt games. We knew he could score.

I think the main reason for his slump and no one is taking into account are the changes; new head coach, new system and a new PG. All which takes time to get use to.

The thing I love about him and nobody is talking about is his REBOUNDING. He's starting to do other things when his shot is not dropping. To me that's what makes a great player, what else can you do besides score.

I think moving forward a backcourt of him and Amen is going to be SICK!

#1391 hlmbasketball, Mar 3, 2024
    MadMax94$ likes this.
  12. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What? Steph Curry?
    Jalen's numbers have decreased every single year by the way.

Years 1-3

FG%
    1) Steph 46.2 Jalen 42.6
    2) Steph 48.0 Jalen 41.7
    3) Steph 49.0 Jalen 40.7

3 PT%
    1) Steph 43.7% Jalen 34.3%
    2) Steph 44.2% Jalen 33.8%
    3) Steph 45.5% Jalen 31.8%

Maybe you meant year 4, when Curry's FG% dropped to 45.1%. Even so, he shot at 45.3% from behind the arc that year, which is an average I can never realistically expect Jalen to ever come close to. There really is no comparison between those two.

#1392 deb4rockets, Mar 3, 2024
    Y2JT and OremLK like this.
  13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think this game shows exactly why he belongs in the starting 5. Who else do we have that can score, as well as get his own shot and setup others/playmake?

I'll admit, he has not played well. But I saw what he was capable of his first two yrs. And I have always thought if you benched him, you would take away his confidence. Many players have the ability to be great but they lack the confidence. And that's what make them medicore.

Im just glad they didn't bench him, like what most Rocket fans and local Podcasters were suggesting

Old School74 likes this.
  14. plegus

plegus Member

Jalen's best performance in a teamplay context. This game was a breath of fresh air, everything he did in this game is scaleable and sustainable. He should keep being a thinker during the game. Great, wonderful, brilliant showing.

If he can keep the ball in his opposite hand while driving, he should be able to lower the TOs and thats it man, rest can come with time. Time will let him make decisions instinctively rather than lagging while actively thinking. But it is necessary to think actively until he makes it automatically. Love it, more of it please.

15. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Steph and Jalen are on two different planets, you can't compare the two, especially not now. However, there are two things I think Jalen is starting to develop since Ime took over, his defense and rebounding are getting better. Which Steph is not know for.

To me, I think he has struggled to become more of an all around player. Before he was just looking to score, nothing else. These next 20 games or so will tell us more about what his game will be moving forward.

Old School74 likes this.
  16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I brought up Steph because someone else did. Agree with the 20 games moving forward. So far his shot percentage has been really bad this year. He has had 3 bad months leading up to these past couple games. Consistency is the key.

That being said, even if he has one good month for once in March, I won't hold my breath that he can do that consistently month after month. It's hard not to be skeptical after this year. I want him to succeed, but he lets me down over and over and over, making me want a better SG to build a team around for many reasons. I want to draft Reed Sheppard and give him a chunk of Jalen's minutes next year, and compare a rookie with a great shot percentage, and good defensive skills to Jalen and Cam.

#1396 deb4rockets, Mar 3, 2024
  17. cml750

cml750 Member

Good game Jalen. Please keep it up for the rest of the season to increase your trade value.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. Mathew Diekhake

Not a bad point, but there are countless examples. Blake Griffin didn't have a good third season.

When it comes to stars who were scoring well already (ppg), you don't right them off just because their stats decline slightly. Moreover, Green has been very disrupted this year. Just the coaching change alone is enough to do it. Michael Jordan didn't want to play at all for another coach...literally wanted to hang up the shoes instead. Green has had a very difficult year.

19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yes, because this post screams quality.

TAB, cmlmel77 and majicdonjuan like this.
  20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Last night was the best game I have seen from him. If he could put in that kind of effort on both ends of the floor every night and show the same pssion for the game every night, I would be his biggest fan.