1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Trading Sengun? Stop me if you've heard me talk about this one. We're talking #Rockets LIVE right now ...

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Jalen Green’s frustration clear in the building - Iko

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rvo384, Feb 29, 2024.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

there’s not denying Jalen has physical traits that maybe 10% of NBA guards possess. He’s a freakish athlete. That’s about where it ends. He was supposed to have Kobe like work ethic according to the pre draft stuff. Seems like his agents paid writers very well to sell that lol

2. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

No. You're confusing talent and winning. They aren't the same. There are way less talented basketball players than Jalen Green who are winners. They might work harder, play smarter, all the things that Jalen Green still needs to learn how to do, but they don't necessarily have his natural talent. But, again, this is a pointless conversation. Agree to disagree.

DVauthrin and clos4life like this.
  3. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Sounds like Ime and the front office agreed to start Jalen for a couple of games to see if he would improve after the ASB. This hit piece is definitely approved by the FO (and maybe Ime) so they have a "reason" to bench Jalen and replace him with someone else in the starting line up. Sucks that Jalen couldn't live up to his potential. Maybe we look to draft Sheppard if our Nets pick goes top 5-8

4. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Athleticism IS a talent. It's not the only talent. That's his problem...

5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Forget Ime's system, I am not convinced the NBA is a good fit for Jalen Green.

AroundTheWorld, cml750, Arda and 3 others like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

Lack of consistent effort.

Taking shortcuts in games defensively and knowing that you will stay on the court.

Not focusing on improving specific parts of your game - because you don't see anyone else around you obviously do it.

Not really knowing the amount of consistent hard work it takes to be a great guard in the NBA - not knowing because you have never seen it.

Having your organization act like you are already accomplished and improvement is guaranteed and your destiny - so you lack focus and assume it will come.

Not spending your off season glued to players with extreme work ethics in the off season - for all the whoring around and partying that Harden did, when he walked into the gym or weight room, he absolutely busted his ass... and Green never saw that - he never saw a SGA working on his midrange shot and handles for hours a day. He never saw Trey Young in the weight room and with a dietician every damn day to become a star. Spending a couple weekends with guys and then hitting a warm party location for the rest of the summer doesn't cut it if you want to be great. You can party - but you better know what it takes work-wise and you better do it.... Green hasn't seen it and he doesn't know it. Instead he was humping Josh Christopher and hanging out with KPJ and seeing what an ******* he is.

You have to play hard on both sides of the court - you have to work on your craft and get better at the things that win basketball games. It is a lot easier to give little effort defensively and spend all your time trying to score with no expectations to get rebounds or win basketball games...... and now he is being expected to do all these things he has never done before.

Deuce, BigMaloe, slothy420 and 12 others like this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

Honestly, it isn't that he isn't very bright - it is a lack of desire to improve.

Giannis isn't a bastion of IQ, but he has TRIED to improve his knowledge as a person, he has surrounded himself with people that are a positive in his life.... there are a lot of people that are not exactly Mensa candidates that can become wise and honorable..... but sitting on your couch and playing Call of Duty while eating Ramen noodles and laughing with your friends about how silly thots are isn't going to get you anywhere.

Rvo384, DVauthrin, cml750 and 3 others like this.
  8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I would destroy him in the Nuketown map

9. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Jalen right now and next year when he's making 12.5 mil to ride the bench and occasionally lay bricks.

[​IMG]

10. Nook

Nook Member

He has an important date with his XBOX, 3 Taco Bell Mexican pizzas, his vape and a two liter of Mountain Dew.

Someone should go dig up "#BeWell" and let him see his future down the line.... or maybe he can hang with Shaggy P and see how that goes.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

they definitely go hand in hand. uhh working hard, being smarter is part of talent and what makes a player talented. skills to go along with attributes like that makes a player talented.

you could have a 7'0 player with a 7'6 wingspan who's as strong as a ox and jump out the gym. yet he can't shoot, barely dribble, struggles to finish, bad bball iq, can't guard a shadow. That's not talent. you're just talking about physical attributes, which means absolutely nothing when it comes to the most important thing, impacting winning ball games

JG can jump high and is quick. that's about as far as it goes. again that's not talent. that's called being athletic

#91 YOLO, Feb 29, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 29, 2024
    Downtown Sniper likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

Probably - he wouldn't properly check his flank and would go out into the middle of a wide open alley to get supplies and get pissed that multiple snippers turned his head into Jello.

MadMax likes this.
  13. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I root for Jalen as hard as anybody, but he literally has nobody to blame for sitting late in games. It's clear to me that Ime is more than willing to play him in games that he shoots poorly, as long as he's locked in and focused--despite still making a ton of mistakes even when he is.

I really liked his attitude in a lot of the pre-draft things that I saw from him, but more and more I'm seeing that I either fell for a PR stunt or he's changed from when he was younger. Either way I don't know if he's still putting in the work that I felt sure that he would, and that sucks to think about. Luckily, we have plenty of young guys that are raring to go-- but it would really be a bummer if our 2nd pick doesn't work out, especially when he provided us with a bunch of fun moments during the Silas years.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Jalen would need several Roombas to clean his crib(s). Now that he is down with a sickness.

Roomba likes this.
  15. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I would say Jalen should consider himself lucky that Ime hasn't nailed him to the bench for 1-2 games at a time. I would've expected a "disciplinarian" coach to minutes and starts as a reward system.

cml750 likes this.
  16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Work ethic is a talent.

Nook likes this.
  17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Damn it Kelly IKo... now he's posted that he is disgruntled. Making things real hard to get anything back besides a used condom for the guy.

18. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of this chatter goes away If he fixes the jumper. Really, really hard to overcome shooting so poorly from distance. He needs a long off-season to fix it, to say the least. I wouldn’t mind the Rockets giving him two weeks off to go shoot 100k shots in an empty gym, tbh.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Honestly, it's too late. This was the season we needed to see something from him and he's worse than ever.

If he wants to salvage his career, yeah learning how to shoot a basketball is the best way to do that.... but his time with the Rockets needs to be over.

clos4life and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  20. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

The disconnect here is the difference between talent and skill. Jalen has talent, but he hasn't been able to manifest that into the skills necessary to become a winner. Work ethic would help him get there. A lot of things could, he just hasnt put them together. I think part of that is his immaturity rather than any sort of inability. He has the capability to do the things it takes to be great, but he just isn't doing them for all of the reasons that Nook mentioned earlier. He's not a winner. Not yet. And he might not ever become one, but it's still too early to know for sure. Having said that, it's way past time for Udoka to bench him. What they are doing now simply isn't working.

Joe Rocket likes this.