1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Official] Spring Training 2024

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 18, 2024.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Love the 1900s part on Javier, lol. Funny, but true.

Nook likes this.
  2. Justin Thomas

Justin Thomas Member

Keep seeing injury updates on Verlander. Is it serious or he just easing into the season since he’s older now?

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’m starting to wonder if Cesar Salazar might make the most sense as the 13th position player. With how good/versatile Dubon and Caratini are, really they just need the 12th player to be a power bat off the bench (with baserunning prowess a nice bonus if available). The 13th player is unlikely to play much. Kessinger is good enough imho that he would be wasted playing once a week (and that would only be to get him in a game, not really because he was the best option). Since Diaz is a good enough hitter to justify getting significant DH time when he rests, it may make sense to reserve that spot for a 3rd catcher in case of emergency. Salazar is a pretty good fit for that role; he is essentially a non-prospect (he doesn’t really warrant time in the minors), he is a good clubhouse guy (Verlander likes him), and he has some versatility (having played 1B, 2B, and LF in the minors). Given how sporadic playing time could be for that role, Salazar may have the most value simply as a cheerleader and another set of analytical eyes in the bench, along with being an emergency player.

Ideally Cabbage or Singleton would show this spring that they deserve 400 MLB pa, and because of McCormick’s ability to play CF and RF (and Alvarez’s ability/desire to play LF), it means even Singleton can serve as the de facto backup for 1B, DH, and all 3 OF spots if needed, which leaves Dubon to backup SS, 2B, and 3B.

Dubon: 2B, SS, 3B
    Caratini: C, DH, LF (by catching with Alvarez playing LF and Diaz DH’ing)
    Cabbage/Singleton: 1B, CF, RF (by DH’ing with Alvarez in LF and McCormick in CF/RF)

#183 Snake Diggit, Feb 26, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
    cmlmel77 and toby like this.
  4. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Finally! Some else sees it!

IBTL, Stephen66 and Radricky like this.
  5. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

No. No reason to give any of the vets an option for a non hitting catcher to play 20% of the time. Don’t do it. Subtraction by addition. I’d rather play with 12 players and down a man than roster a 3rd catcher.

The Beard likes this.
  6. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Chronicle is just awful in advertising outdated posts.

Justin Thomas likes this.
  7. lnchan

Supporting Member

We can sacrifice one game if two catchers get hurt in the same game in order to having a 26th man that has value.

Wulaw Horn and The Beard like this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Who would you propose as the 13th guy and what would be your plan for playing him? Kessinger would be the lead choice, but which situation does it make sense to play him over Dubon?

9. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

How about when taking a pitch is required?

See 2023 ALCS game 6, 8th inning.

For those who have forgotten= w/ 2 runners on, 1 out, and only leading by 2, the Rangers brought in LeClerc who promptly walked Tucker to load the baes.

Now my 11 year old grandson knows that you MUST take pitches until there is a strike in that situation.

The only other acceptable situation is get the ball to the outfield to bring in at least 1 run.

Dubon:
    Swing and miss a low and outside fastball
    Swing and miss a low and outside fastball
    Swing and hit a weak linedrive ( 67 mph) to SS on a low and outside fastball.

#189 IdStrosfan, Feb 26, 2024
    everyday eddie and The Beard like this.
  10. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Is there somewhere you can see who all is scheduled to pitch every day?

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Incredibly small sample, but Kessinger looked worth seeing more of last season. I'd say it isn't a guarantee that Dubon is the better of the two or vice versa.

Nook likes this.
  12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Truth is we have about a month to see

A lot can happen over the next few weeks that will determine the last few roster spots actually, not just 26

13. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I really like Kessinger, and that’s a big part of why I don’t like him as the 13th position player. The 13th-19th position players combined for ~300 pa last season, but that was with McCormick, Altuve, Diaz, and Meyers all not playing full time. Barring injuries, that 13th guy would not be in line for more than 100 pa over the course of the whole season. I’d much rather see Kessinger playing everyday in AAA until an injury opens up more regular playing time for him in the majors.

14. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

As long as everything structurally intact, nobody should be more concerned than what the reports are saying. (also, as long as he's still throwing off a mound).

Remember he did miss a full month at the start of last season with something similar... but then didn't miss time the remainder of the season, and the post-season, and had a good year.

He does need to be load managed, and if time must be missed better to miss early rather than later (even though the Astros will presumably have more starting pitching reinforcements the later the season goes... but that also presumes nobody else gets hurt).

#194 Nick, Feb 26, 2024
  15. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Diaz, Caratini, J.Abreu, Altuve, Bregman, Pena, Dubon, Alvarez, Chas, and Tucker are guaranteed spots. spots. that leaves 3 spots.

Meyers is a very large favorite to take the 11th spot, but since he has minor league options and Chas and Dubon both able to play CF it's not 100%- say 90% and only if he has a very poor spring and someone like Leon or Corona really impress.

Singleton has no options and was on the team for the postseason even when Meyers wasn't so the team must like him more than we do. I put his chances at about 65%

Cabbage is the only other (serious) candidate for the lefthanded power bat/ back up 1B role but is less proven (if that possible), must cut down on his K's ( already has 1 in 2 ABs), and has minor league options. He can still make the team if Singleton does but it's much less likely. I say about 40% he makes it.

Kessinger is in a very good spot. This team has no backup 3B. Dubon has played a total of 2 innings in nearly 2 full seasons on the team. His chances are much better if Singleton does not make the team because Cabbage gives more OF depth that would be lacking. Whitcomb or Hensley could potentially outplay him too but that's a Meyers vs Leon/Corona type Longshot. I think he is about 75%

That leaves about 30% for all other candidates combined.

My take:
    Leon 20% -just feels like a different buzz this year
    Hensley 4%
    Julks 2%
    Whitcomb 2 %
    Corona 2%

I don't see any chance they keep a 3rd catcher.

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

I like Kessinger too but I think he's a high floor, low ceiling fundamentals over talent type of guy - kinda like Garrett Stubbs.

Because of that it's not important to give him continued reps in AAA. If that was the case he would not have been on this team the entire 2nd half last year.

I think he is equal to Dubon as long as the OF is covered. Maybe not GG 2B/SS caliber but solid enough for the role, has better power, will take a walk, and can also cover 1B and 3B.

I think the best bench for this team would be: Caratini, Kessinger, Cabbage, and Leon.

I think Caratini, Dubon, Kessinger, and Singleton make the team.

Edit: I have always felt Dubon was a great 13th position player and bad 12th position player, especially if he's being paid more than the minimum salary. But after that ALCS game 6 AB, I hoped and prayed I would never see him in an Astros uniform again.

#196 IdStrosfan, Feb 26, 2024
    Stephen66 and Wulaw Horn like this.
  17. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Dubon as a “bad” 12th position is laughable. The guy was a 2 win player last season in less than 500 pa. He would be most teams’ 8th or 9th best player, and on any contender he would be at worst their 11th guy. If he’s your 12th best player you likely have one of the deepest position player rosters in mlb history.

No Worries likes this.
  18. lnchan

Supporting Member

...or in the last 5 years for this team. 2019 will be hard to top.

19. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Dubon can legit play all 7 positions and can do so at an average to well above average level, and is generally competent (albeit below average) in the batters box.

To say that he's basically a AAAA player is absurd. Just because Dusty grossly overused him doesn't mean he doesn't have a good use. He provides immense roster flexibility. Most 12th men are gonna provide just as little offenss (or less) and far less defensive value.

The guy you described is more like Corey Julks.

20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Cabbage. PR. Left handed replacement for Meyers whenever a tough righty is in the game late.