1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Seriously, when can we end this JG experiment?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by zjcblord21, Feb 22, 2024.

1. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

The Jalen experiment is officially over.

He might be starting but he's getting less minutes than the backup and that guy is also finishing games while Jalen watches from the end of the bench.

2. cml750

cml750 Member

The way he is playing that is 15 too many. And yes I think he eventually ends up overseas. He could end up back in the NBA in his late 20's if he ever figures out how to shoot.

3. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

He was +6, the same as Sengun. Does Sengun go overseas with him?

No Worries likes this.
  4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

As yes +/- the poor mans raptor

5. cumutk

cumutk Member

Jalen is and never was an NBA level player, fans who watch basketball, but does not know anything about structured, professional and real basketball hyped and still hyping about him.

Look l like him, but when l watch Amen, l see great PG/SG of future, young, ambitious, does not want to lose and this makes Green expendable...
    His future l believe, with this mindset will be overseas.
    He has time to be a consistent piece in NBA, but I am not optimistic about it.
    It is easy to lose the trust of players, especially young players, but as a Rockets fan l dont see good things from his body language.
    He is unhappy, not matured, he is a good kid and also coachable maybe, but he has so many fundamental deficiencies that can not be taught in a short time.
    This is always the risk in drafting players looking at only athleticism, knows nothing about structured, disipline basketball.
    Not everyone can be T-Mac, Iverson,SGA..
    I want to see
    Amen, Cam,Jabari,Tari and Alpi starting in the near future time.
    FVV,Brooks, Steve Adams(lf healthy) coming from bench and help our young team.

6. cml750

cml750 Member

It is cute you think I am making my observations based on a single game.

7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

You think Amen can be a shooting guard with a worse shot than the shooting guard who's not good enough at shooting? Seems legit. I'd rather have a starting SG who can shoot (Whitmore being a much better choice than Amen.) Amen's a point or a SF, he's not remotely a "great SG of the future."

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

It doesn’t matter what position you call it, Amen needs to be on the floor 35-40 mins a game all of next year. If you have a team with Amen, FVV, and Sengun on the floor you can run multiple half court sets depending on the situation. Cam has to learn to play defense to be a star.

AroundTheWorld and Y2JT like this.
  9. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I think if the rest of the lineup are good defenders, Cam's scoring prowess (assuming development rather than Green-style regression) makes it a net positive. FVV/Cam/Amen/Tari or Bari/Sengun looks pretty tasty to me in all honesty.

AroundTheWorld and backwardhead like this.
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Given that he’s the #2 pick in the draft he’s not an experiment. He’s a commitment at that pick and salary. This season is crucial to determine whether or not your extend him at a rate that would be considered value long term.

I always said they should play it out until the all star break. They played it out and he underperformed dramatically. The only thing there is to do now is determine with Ime what we need to do with him in the lineup that’ll put the team in a position to move him in the Summer and let another team make that decision on whether or not to extend him.

But the Rockets need to be the first team in the league to determine that he’s not worth extending for them. I do think there are teams like the Warriors etc that a Jalen Green type does make some sense. He needs to be traded this summer for sure imo. But for now you probably still need to play him heavy minutes at the start of games.

11. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

It pains me to say it, as I had extremely high hopes for him and I was one of his biggest supporters...But the fumble mumble era needs to be over asap.

Man, what a waste.

12. MystikArkitect

Definitely feels like a conversation was had between Stone and Ime where Stone said not to bench him and Ime was like....alright.....

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  13. Prince_Hakeem

Prince_Hakeem Member

Jalen gotta go. I’ve seen enough. There’s no point investing in him any further.

cml750 likes this.
  14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why heavy minutes? He's shooting 37.7% FG and 21.2% from the 3 for the month of February.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Because we need to trade him this summer and our pool of buyers could shrink if we deny them as much data as we can to showcase the benefits he does bring. Of course if his Feb stats continue into March and early April it could actually hurt his value but I would bank on him most likely coming back to his averages. Which isn’t a world beater but does have value.

16. vince

vince Member

Seems like Jalen Greens heart left with KPJ. Last year everyone in the league was singing praise about that young duo; how Houston had a really good thing going with them young guards.

Green was getting 40+ point games consistently! KPJ was starting to be efficient. And then the battery misconduct by KPJ forced the Rockets hand to part ways with him.

Jalen went from the toast of the town, to now being burnt toast. Leaving folks wondering if he can be salvaged to perhaps a 6th man scorer off the bench, if that!

17. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

"fumble mumble"

Love it. Fumble Mumble gotta go. The mumbling has always troubled me. If I remember correctly the brains two largest distributions of motor neurons are for speech production and hand movement. I think fumbles and mumbles is symptomatic of a bigger problem coaching probably can't fix.

18. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

I'd think Jalen would be better off going against other team's second units if the idea was to showcase him for a trade. Jalen going against other team's starters is what yielded these horrific efficiency numbers in the first place, along with his nonchalant defense.

If we play Jalen heavy minutes against first team units, all we're doing is compiling even more data showing how crap he is.

19. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I give Jalen credit for being a good teammate and still clapping and standing for teammates - still listening to Ime whenever he puts him in game …

Folks love looking at his shooting % but ignore his end of clock shots when he gets ball with 3 or less seconds on shot clock

They did put him and Bari in corners for 3pt attempts that’s progress

20. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

but does Morey have anything worthwhile to trade for this lottery bust?

lol - based on his constant attempts to rejuvenate lottery busts here... ;)

topfive likes this.