1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rumors: JG4 refusing to be sixth man and believing him not being properly used

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DeBeards, Feb 21, 2024.

1. NewAge

NewAge Member

Not quite sure what the Green-ies want with this pace argument.

First, we are #14 in the league in pace, i.e. just above average.
    Second, every single coach in the NBA would like the easy baskets that come with fast execution before the D is set. There is absolutely no way that Udoka is telling the team "wait for them to set their D and then attack". The problem is how do you execute that without trade-offs like rushing risky plays, compromising the D with leakers, etc.

Right now we have low TO% (#9 in the league) and a good D rating. If you want to rush some HomeRun type passes through defenders for the sake of Pace, then say so. If you want Green or others to leak before the end of the defensive possession, then say so. These are trade-offs.

You can't just say, "I want us to play solid fundamental basketball, but with faster pace". That's what every coach wants. That's like, "I want world peace and apple pie for everybody"... If we play solid D, secure boards and then push and make quick and right decisions, that would be every coach's goal, and also we would be a very good team. Few teams can do that. The Rockets currently cannot, and it is not because Udoka tells them not to do it. That would be ridiculous.

Bad teams, OTOH, can ramp-up pace at the expense of something else. So the Green-ies should tell us what they want to sacrifice for the sake of pace.

2. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

We agree on everything outside of KPJ being a good shooting guard next to FVV. He's a me first black hole on offense. Basically a street ball player with the basketball IQ of a coconut.

Like you said though he's gone so half of the mess is cleaned up. Time to finish it this offseason by moving Jalen

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It's really simple with Jalen that's why I'm not sure why Udoka is so patient with him. He just takes too many types of shots. He's good at only 3 very specific types of shots. He's good at getting to the rim/line unless the paint is packed (can be a better finisher, but with FT's his PPP here is good). He's good at making straight up and down open 3's where he's near the 3pt line (39%). He's also good at making mid range jumpers inside the circle on the FT line (around 50%). At every single other thing he does, if you take even one step outside these zones, or if you move his defender a bit he's mind-blowingly garbage. Like insanely terrible. Shooting percentages in the 20s to mid 30's.

If we knows this now, then it's pretty obvious what to do. 90% of his shots should be one of those 3 shots. His first instinct should be to aggressively attack the rim in transition or because there's a path in the paint. His second instinct should be whether he can counter with a very simple open 3pter or FT line middy. If these things are not available within a few seconds of the clock running, just pass the ball. That's it. That's all he should be allowed to do. This will also give his teammates confidence that's he's worth passing the ball back to on the same play. He still actually needs to work on these 3 shots in practice because he's not GREAT at any of them, none of them are special. New types of shots can only enter the diet if he proves with work off the court that he's ready to take them at a higher efficiency than before.

Here's the full diet:

Cut out two shots: difficult 3pters must be gone + midrangers outside the circle (he's shooting like 25% on these shots and combined he takes 2-3 of them per game)

Increase two types of shots: stick him in the corner when FVV/Sengun running the show (moving Brooks above the break) + he has to create more transition opportunities through rebounds + more traditional transition where the PG/big man has an eye out for outlet opportunities

I'd bet any amount of money that increases his TS% by 2-4%. It's just stupid shot selection and Udoka seems to insist that Jalen figures it out on his own. It's so random because Udoka has improved the shot selection of 3 stubborn players by force already (Brooks, FVV and Jabari all taking fewer and more efficient shots). Unless you believe Udoka is doing the same with Jalen and has allowed Jalen to ignore him for 50+ games without losing his starting role. If Jalen is ignoring him this badly, why on earth are we still starting him. We're essentially showcasing his flaws right now. I really don't get it.

Xerobull likes this.
  4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The issue is that he has so few strengths.

Full list of strengths

1. Elite athleticism.

End of list

YaoMac09, Y2JT, deb4rockets and 3 others like this.
  5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The team that drafted Jonny Flynn.

6. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Let me restate. There are clearly players that in the first year you’re like wow why did we draft you. But Jalen has shown moments, plenty of them, to know he’s not a complete bust. He may not develop in to a star. Hell, he may not develop into a “good” nba player. But to say he’s “terrible at basketball” or is equivalent to J Flynn is laughable. It’s hyperbole.

kspires999 and Os Trigonum like this.
  7. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

THIS 100%!!!
    Good gm's KNOW when to cut their losses before they BECOME the loser!!

Go Rockets!!!

DeBeards, topfive and cml750 like this.
  8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Very good post. I think we will continue to play faster and faster the more Amen and Cam play, but you are right especially with Cam that we will turnover the ball more. Amen’s rebounding and straight line speed will just naturally generate more transition opportunities.you als can’t run effectively if you are constantly pulling the ball out of the net.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Looks like Green is about to get a humbling
    Maybe much needed one
    HE and all the Young Rockets . .. have to get into the Lab this summer

Rocket River

10. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Failed rapper and now failed basketball blogger Roosh Williams (GMAFB) has 0 credibility. Stop giving these people the time of day and they will go away.

11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Agreed and they should be in the lab now. I know if I had the opportunity to double or triple my pay I’d be doing everything in my power to improve. Including staying after games at home and showing up early. Every free moment Jalen has should be shooting the basketball

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

No they won’t. They are attention whores and there will always be an audience for the outrageous ones. Look at all the millions Steven A makes spewing nonsense loud an obnoxiously.

GOATuve likes this.
  13. ExTexanNowEastCoast

Problem is, each of these guys are flawed.

- Jabari just disappears too often. A guy with his natural talent and physical abilities should take charge and be more assertive. Instead, he prefers to hide and blend into the background. Not a good sign. He will end up like Joe Smith when he should be the next Kevin Garnett.

- Alpe is giving all he has, which I respect and appreciate. I just think that ultimately, that is all he is going to be able to give. Nothing wrong with being a 21 and 11 guy BTW. However, you cannot build around a 21 and 11 guy. He can be a key piece, but not the central figure.

- Amen has some great physical tools, but he is young and raw. What I have seen so far however gives me hope. That said, the man cannot shoot. Unfortunately, history teaches us that people who cannot shoot as young player almost never get better at it. This is something that they should have been working on before getting to the NBA.

- Finally, JG4. This guy has so much natural talent, and more importantly, he has the right attitude. He plays hard (but not always smart). I will take a hardworking player who is willing to take the blame like JG4 than some guy like Jabari who seems to be satisfied with just drifting into the background.

To me, Ime is not the guy to coach offense. He should hire someone to run the offense (like a NBA version of Mike Martz) and he handles the rest. Get MDA or Alvin Gentry to do it. When you have Alpe, Jabari, JG4, Cam Whitmore and Amen, there is simply no excuse for our offense being so inept.

14. TimDuncanDonaut

Nothing against playing faster, it's not this cure all, if it was, every team would do it.

a. Other team can ramp up transitional D.

b. Turnover rate and ball security. Make sure quality doesn't drop. Doing it vs doing it well: difference between Pacers and another team.

c. Faster pace leading to bad shot selections.

Is team's collective bball IQ good enough? Difference between the cast failing at this during Silas era vs now.

#154 TimDuncanDonaut, Feb 22, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2024
    DeBeards likes this.
  15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Jabari is just inconsistent. He as played one and two thirds seasons and is twenty years old and is being bullied a bit. Give t some time and he very well could be the next Garnett.

16. cml750

cml750 Member

The word "bust" is all related to draft posiiton. When a 2nd round pick flames out you never hear anyone call them a bust. The higher the pick the higher the potential to being a bust. Being drafted #2 overall , Jalen would be considered a bust if he were to only become an low level NBA journeyman. He does not have to become a star to not be considered a bust but he does need to at least become a servicebale NBA player who is at least a net neutral rather than a net negative. As it is every single player on the team is worse when Jalen is on the court.

NewAge and GOATuve like this.
  17. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

Whoa. I like your analysis but you're way off on Jabari. He's nowhere close to Garnett. Garnett was a fluid athlete with way more all around skills. I think Jabari's best case scenario is Aldridge

subtomic and cml750 like this.
  18. MystikArkitect

I mean we're trying to but Ime keeps starting him.

cml750 likes this.
  19. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not sure I'm one of the morons being referred to here but I just don't like his attitude. He carries himself like he is a former NBA player almost, like he loves to talk down people who "don't understand the game of basketball" because they "never really played" when he himself is just some guy who puts up shots at 24 hour fitness. It's not like he's some former NBA player or even D1 college player. And as you can see by the way he gave Jalen Green advice...he really truly thinks in his mind that he is their peer. He's a real hooper, a baller, just like an NBA player. Like I personally cannot imagine in a million years getting on the phone with an NBA player and telling them how to play the game, "you need to lower your shoulder on drives", that kind of thing. Jalen has a team of coaches being paid more money in a year than Roosh will make in a lifetime who are dedicated to all of this. You have to be a real narcissist to do something like that, I already thought all of this about him, and then this Jalen story further cemented it. It bleeds through any time you hear him talking about basketball, you can tell he has a really high opinion of himself and thinks most are beneath him, he peppers in statements like "when you're actually out there on the court" and "people don't realize what it's like in those kinds of situations" type stuff. Neither do you!

And then on top of all that he likes to challenge people to 1v1 him in basketball when they disagree with him, which in my opinion is clown behavior. He makes some basketball point on twitter, someone comes back at him with some statistics that show he is (or could be) incorrect, and he says "MEET ME AT LA FITNESS 1 on 1 BALL FIRST TO 21." Like dude what? We're fans talking on the internet. What does my ability to beat you 1v1 have to do with any of this? Most recently he did this to a high school kid. Isn't Roosh like 35? I think he challenged him to a 1v1 for like $1000? Reminds me of the kids that wanted to "fight me IRL" because I killed them in Halo in like 2005. I just can't take those guys seriously.

20. cml750

cml750 Member

Jalen is the one who gave Roosh relevance by DM'ing him in the first place. Noboday would give a **** what Roosh did or said if Jalen had not given him relevnce in the first place.