1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Ime change the starting 5 after the all-star break?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Feb 18, 2024.

?

Vote

Poll closed Feb 25, 2024.
  1. Yes

97 vote(s)
    61.8%
  2. No

60 vote(s)
    38.2%
  1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

My minor point was not that they would suck or flourish but that they would accept a role consistently....

Jalen did all the PG stuff but he prefers to grab the rebound and push downhill, that is not the way Udoka plays most of the time.

• Cam Whitmore is actually the guy to watch because you don't pay him lottery pick type of salary.
    • He should be underpaid for those years. He might also turn out to be lower IQ but at least he is strong and can shoot.
    • Jalen came into the league expecting himself to become a star in the All Star Exhibition game, only this past year he realized the NBA regular game is much different.
    Lavine is not in the picture, he is just too old for this team.

#81 daywalker02, Feb 21, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
    cml750 likes this.
  2. Arda

Arda Member

Sengun, Jabari, Tari, Dillion, FVV.

heypartner likes this.
  3. cml750

cml750 Member

Not benching him to keep his value higher made somewhat sense up to the trade deadline even if it hurt the team. Now that the deadline is past and we are healthy, it is time to pull the trigger. The Jalen having any type of value ship has sailed. We may get lucky and get a late first for him in the off season but more than likely we will get even less than that. When someone is playing as bad as Jalen he hurts his value on the court just as much as he does on the bench. If he pouts and causes trouble on the bench just cut his ass or send him to the G-league.

AroundTheWorld, Y2JT and Arda like this.
  4. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

If you want to end the season on a positive note start Cam at the 2. Let Jalen come in with Amen, Tari, and Holiday. Remove Tate from the rotation. Jalen wants and needs to play a more fast paced, up tempo style.

The second unit should have Amen as point forward.

1 Holiday
    2 Jalen
    3 Amen
    4 Tari
    5 Bari/Uncle Jeff

These lineups would open the floor the Jalen. He and Amen can run together. Amen would finally see time on the court surrounded by shooters.

theDude likes this.
  5. YOLO

YOLO Member

update the poll: How many games played out of the 28 left until the starting lineup changes?

6. cdastros

cdastros Member

I guess this means the rockets are using the rest of the season to evaluate players.

7. Rokman

Rokman Member

Just because Jalen may be starting doesn't mean he's going to be playing starters minutes. Udoka is smarter than that.

cml750, Arda and daywalker02 like this.
  8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Well, see you guys at the draft lottery

[​IMG]

9. MystikArkitect

After 2-3 months I was excited about this team's direction. Now, not so much.

10. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

“Accountability”

11. cdastros

cdastros Member

Ime complained about the team getting off to bad starts. I don't expect that to change unless the Rockets change the starting lineup.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  12. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah baby! JALEN FOREVER!!!

Ancient Moabite and Little Bit like this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

[​IMG]

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Maybe there will be some teams that believe they can still fix him (if he still does not show significant improvement by the end of this season). The thing is, apparently he is already voicing out that he's not being used correctly. That in a way is some kind of sulking. I don't deny the possibility that some GMs might believe in him not being used correctly. So who knows. A smart GM would look at it more carefully. Jalen's most glaring weakness is shooting from outside. What kind of scheme can make him shoot better? I don't think there is. A faster pace might give him more opportunities to attack the rim. But it won't make him shoot better from outside. And very few teams are actually designed to run all the time. The vast majority of possessions are still half court sets. If you can't score efficiently from half court offense, you are just not a very useful offensive player.

As for forcing a trade, he has no leverage because he is not contributing to winning at his current performance. If he quits playing, it does not put any pressure on the team other than drama. It would destroy his trade value, true. But it would also destroy his career. Look at how Harden tanked his value by his antics. He probably will never get another max contract because of that. But Harden's skills are very valuable so teams would still want him. Jalen has to extremely dumb to do that.

JayGoogle likes this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

As a test of Roosh’s narcissism, in tomorrow’s RocketsWatch, someone should offer the idea that Coach isn’t making a change because of all the twitter Roosh’s post roused. He doesn’t want it to appear that the fans influenced him, because it could undermine his control of the lockerroom.

Then we see how excited Roosh gets about that idea. I mean, after wondering out loud multiple times that his original convo might of been the reason for Jalen’s 5-game “streak”, the man does like making the conversation about himself, for sure.

16. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yall are really missing that he's 22, worse 'busts' have gone for more. He does not have negative value. He's not a 29 year old declining player with 4 years left on his deal.

topfive and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  17. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I am not arguing about whether Cam or Amen or Jalen is a better prospect or not.

I am just talking about his value. A 22 year old former #2 overall pick on a rookie contract does not have negative value in this league. Lavine actually is a guy that does.

Do I think Cam will be better than Jalen, sure, but I still don't think there are any benefits for the team to benching Jalen right now.

topfive and Little Bit like this.
  18. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Guess he didn't want to upset someone.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  19. a time to chill

I think we’ll see an uptick in performance for Jalen Green after the break. But can we trust it going into next year?

20. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

I think I found the issue... Jalen comes off the bench on Saturdays &Sundays ... Crap, couldn't figure out how to load the image...

TS by Day of the Week... from basketball-reference.com

Sunday .409
    Monday .547
    Tuesday .526
    Weds .556
    Fri .565
    Saturday .456

#100 kspires999, Feb 21, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2024