1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Does Ime change the starting 5 after the all-star break?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Feb 18, 2024.

?

Vote

Poll closed Feb 25, 2024.
  1. Yes

97 vote(s)
    61.8%
  2. No

60 vote(s)
    38.2%
  1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Should start Tate at SG and Tari at PF

2. vince

vince Member

I saw he has a 2 On the Defensive Win Share. I give him credit for contributing to a solid defense. But his lack of efficiency on offensive production is very concerning.

The reason I give him credit for the DWS is because it’s a complicated formula, and I assume it has some weight. But I do acknowledge he plays with some defensive minded teammates.

What Is The Definition Of Defensive Win Shares In Basketball?
    1. Defensive win shares (DWS) is a player statistic that attributes credit to players based on their ability to prevent opposing teams from scoring. A player’s DWS is calculated by estimating the number of points allowed per 100 defensive possessions. This is a complex calculation involving other statistics, including minutes played, league points per possession, and defensive rating, among others.

A player with a high defensive win share is an effective defender who adds to the team’s overall defensive ability when on the court (they are more likely to prevent scoring). On the other hand, a player with a low defensive win share detracts from the team’s defensive ability (more likely to allow scoring).

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Benching him is predicated on him not improving from his current game. If he improves his shooting and other aspects of the game, of course you want to start him even if you have to endure the growing pain.

The thing is, if he is not improving, continuing to "show case" him is going to lower his trade value. It doesn't matter whether he is going to sulk on the bench or not. Teams will notice what kind of player he is. At that point, he is pretty much a sunk cost. And I don't think he has the clout to demand a trade. I mean, look at KJ Martin whose dad vocally wanted him out. Only players who have real values can benefit from demanding a trade.

cml750 and tycoonchip like this.
  4. Rokman

Rokman Member

Ime wants to be in the playoffs. He will bench Jalen or cut his minutes down to 20 and he won't be closing out games. That's a fact Jack!

#64 Rokman, Feb 19, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 19, 2024
    cml750 likes this.
  5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's not sure when the injured players will be ready to play again. So it's hard to know what the starting lineup and rotation will look like at this point.

My guess is that when FVV comes back, Green will be moved to the bench. Amen will likely start in his place.

When everybody is healthy, Tari and Cam will be the first guys off the bench. Jalen, Tate, Jeff, and Holiday will earn minutes according to their performance and matchups.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I believe that FVV is back, Cam is back and Tari is a maybe.....I read something to that effect the other day.

DD

cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

That maybe what his heart wants, but his head is probably telling him something different.

Here is our next 6 games,

Thu, Feb 22
    @[​IMG]New Orleans
    Fri, Feb 23
    vs[​IMG]Phoenix
    Sun, Feb 25
    vs[​IMG]Oklahoma City
    Tue, Feb 27
    @[​IMG]Oklahoma City
    TNT
    Thu, Feb 29
    @[​IMG]Phoenix
    Sat, Mar 2
    @[​IMG]Phoenix

That could easily be 6 strait loses, although I am guessing we win 1 or 2 of them somehow.
    Even if we win 2, that puts us at 26-34.

Nope, just dont see the play-in.

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Post of the Month

plegus and AroundTheWorld like this.
  9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

If Ime and the Rockets wanted to make the playoffs they would have traded at the deadline. Hard disagree on this one!!!

10. PeppermintCandy

I don't have the stats to back this up, but I believe the starting lineup has done pretty well when healthy.

The main problem has been injuries to Smith, Brooks, and FVV, and the wheels seemed to really come off with FVV out.

Meanwhile, Green, who gets most of the criticism on this board, has missed none of the games, while Sengun missed just one.

Little Bit likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

All Hinges on how Healthy the Guys are in those 28 Games to be honest.

Does he revert back to the Slow and Grind or does he mix it up with Pushing the Pace with rebounds.

12. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

Why do you need to start them to play them more minutes? Reason I say that is benching the players yiu supposedly want to move on from devalues them. So if your are just benching then to give more minutes to players you want to keep, that can be done without the starters being benched

13. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I voted yes because OP didn't specify if the lineup change would occur immediately after the All Star break. Thus, any change that ever happens to the starting lineup, be it this season, next, or five seasons from now, will mean that I am correct.

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Yeah here come the Rooshter, yeah
    You know he ain't gonna lie, oh
    No, no, no oh, you know he ain't gonna lie

GOATuve, Mathloom and MadMax like this.
  15. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

If he benches anyone he will start with the players that deserve it the least. Jalen would be last to be benched.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

KingCheetah and ThatBoyNick like this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Rockets list no injured players for Pelicans game.

DD

cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I am saying that teams that want him will think they can 'fix' him. He's 22, not 28. I think everyone here is making the mistake that every FO will think exactly the same of him but he's still a prospect so some teams will be higher on him and some teams will be lower on him. I guarantee you if he's traded this offseason the team that trades for him will think he simply was being used wrong or some other theory they have that they will unlock him...and they just might be right and make us look stupid, it's happened many times before.

But if he's sulking on the bench and being a baby about it then that's a sign to them that perhaps he doesn't have the mental fortitude to be fixed in the first place. For his value its best to make it look like he's working hard and doing whatever is asked of him but if the rumors are true about what he's said about going to the bench and you are planning on trading him this offseason then there is no reason to bench him. I don't think benching him gets you closer to the play-ins

Also, he can demand a trade simply by not wanting to play. He doesn't need clout to do that, if he were to go that route the team then has 0 leverage in trading him because suddenly every team knows the Rockets have to trade him but not only that, that his personality sucks.

I think right now no one has Jalen Green going down as some lazy guy not willing to work to get better, just that he's kinda low IQ on the court and can't hit shots. I'm telling yall at 22 there will be many teams willing to give up assets to roll the dice on him. He's literally the same age as guys (like Amen) are when entering the league.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Dude, he was shooting mediocre numbers on a team that was the worst in history......he had all the freedom.

There is not just one aspect wrong with him, he has like 3-4 holes.......and you have to plug the holes with Whitmore and Amen.

The Rockets are not a welfare association that has to help every kid.......at one point you help the ones that have an NBA ready body.

Of course he might be flourishing with a worse team but that is the NBA, every high lotto pick has some sort of talent......no surprises there.

This sort of argument resonates the least with me.

One of the reasons we are drafting so many young players was that Stone could not get any legit All Stars thru trades.

#79 daywalker02, Feb 21, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2024
    cml750 likes this.
  20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If you put Whitmore and Amen on those teams they'd suck too. Everyone sucked on those teams and both of them have massive holes in their game. This idea that if you start either of them over Jalen you're going to get better is quite frankly, silly. I do get tired of this ideal that those two are going to save our season if only they had more minutes. Both are very raw. One doesn't like passing the ball and definitely can be lazy at times on the court and other simply can't shoot the ball and is funnily enough is as old as Jalen Green.

So to me this idea that benching Green gets us in the play-in is ludicrous to me. The team flat out sucks on the road, Amen and Cam playing more minutes ain't changing that.

The Rockets are not a welfare association, of course not, they also are not going to give up 22 year old prospects to chase a few more wins to get eliminated in a play-in tournament, which is obviously why they didn't trade Jalen Green this deadline.

No, I'm also not saying he might be flourishing with a worse or better team. I'm saying it is VERY possible that the next team he plays on he makes us look stupid. This isn't some rare or uncommon thing for guys to do better on their 2nd team. sometimes it's just a change of scenery, sometimes its just a better fit, whatever the case, it's entirely possible that Jalen goes to another team and plays better. Any team acquiring him is thinking exactly this. Again, long list of guys who played better on their 2nd team.

Also. You don't get legit all-stars unless those all-stars ask to be traded. Teams do not just trade all-star players for little to no reason. It simply doesn't happen. No one is trading an all-star lock for a 22 year old prospect...UNLESS the all-star player wants out. So it's not and likely hasn't even been an option because no all-star wanted out this trade deadline in the first place. When/if that happens this offseason Green's value goes up because any team trading a star player is likely looking for young players in return or assets and Rockets could either help facilitate the star player to the team he wants to go to OR get the star himself if he has some odd dream of playing with Sengun or something.

Like literally Portland traded Dame for another (busty) top 3 pick...why? Because a team blowing up wants young players and draft picks and in that situation Green becomes very valuable.

Stone is not some great GM but he can't trade for an all-star until one wants to be traded. He's made a lot of stupid mistakes but I think he's making the right decision holding on to young players and assets until something bigger shakes loose and if nothing does, ah well.

I'd rather have Jalen Green on this team then LeVine who some here wanted to trade for just so we could at best get eliminated by OKC in the first round.