1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson - Point [Forward or Guard?]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Oct 6, 2023.

?

Where should Amen spend most of his minutes?

1. Guard

203 vote(s)
    70.7%
  2. Forward

65 vote(s)
    22.6%
  3. other

19 vote(s)
    6.6%
  1. roslolian

roslolian Member

You keep saying this Amen won't be a wing ever. He is a pg and we drafted him to be a pg. I'd rather him work on his ball handling now and be the pg than make him a wing and remove his unique thing which is hyper athletic 6'7 pg. Maybe he starts when FVV is playing but even then FVV becomes the SG and Amen is the pg.

Making him a hypersthletic wing who can't shoot that's like a potential bust or just a career role player. You want Amen to be reduced to Corey Brewer? Lol.

Literally every other poster told you last time Amen is better as a pg you still keep insisting he should be a wing lol.

2. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

This his credit he is at like 54% ytd. 3 ball sucks and FT is very eh BUT if you convert inside like he has, it will work.

vince likes this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If FVV is on the court, Amen is the SG (or whatever position someone wants to say he is playing), but still retaining a lot of the playmaking (though not as much as FVV). If the Rockets trade for a star PG, Amen will be the SG. Granted, I think the likelihood of FVV being more than a short term Rocket and getting a star PG via trade are unlikely.

I'm for Amen as a PG, but I don't think he becomes Corey Brewer if the Rockets get a guy who is suited to be a PG without the positional flexibility of Amen.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

The thing is that Amen loses a lot of value if he's not a PG. At PG he is a mismatch on both offense and defense. And if he can shoot he's basically near-certainty all-star level player. So it's basically an upside question. And I would say his upside as a PG is so high that you want to exhaust all possibilities before making him a wing.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Amen loses some potential upside value if not a PG, but is probably a better SG than a PG right now. Though, if a star PG becomes available in a trade, that is a certainty all-star level player. I think playing as a wing gives Amen a speed/agility mismatch with most wings. I would not throw away the possibility of getting a star at PG based on upside when Amen could be a star as a wing as well (though not as likely as at PG).

6. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

I would replace Tari with Dillon.
    Tari is really good as the 6th man.
    Also our shooting is piss poor so I rather have the better 3pt shooter (Dillon) starting.

Aruba77 likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I just saw this. I'd guess either that or Cam at SF and Tari at PF (if he gets healthy) is the best short term lineup.

Cam is the best volume shooter on the Rockets. He almost needs to be tied to Amen for the offense. Granted, I like the defenive potential 2-4 of your lineup.

Lloyd Estacio likes this.
  8. OremLK

OremLK Member

Glad to see he won you over... for what it's worth you were right about Brandon Miller too, the dude is looking like he'll be great, would've been a nice fit if he'd dropped to us instead of Amen

roslolian likes this.
  9. Lloyd Estacio

Lloyd Estacio Member

Pg13 didn't have good ball handling when he first came in the league. But he worked hard to improve..just like I believe Amen will. He has intangibles that could make him a 2 way star

roslolian likes this.
  10. Hard Rock

Hard Rock Member

Amen reminds me a lot of the young Scotty Pippen and Penny Hardaway, potential prolly somewhere between this two. hopefully he can develop ball handling and shooting like these two players did later in their career

11. vince

vince Member

I remember when Hakeem honed in on his dream shake. He said he shots that shot 1,000 times a day the summer prior to him making it his key offensive arsenal.

He practiced it so much it became muscle memory.

I’m figuring that Amen should be able to improve the 3 pointer to at least 33% eventually. If he can, it’s a useful tool to incorporate with his phenomenal at the basket shots.

But as they say, it’s easier said than done. Because if he can’t improve the 3 pt shot, he’s gonna be a 2nd tier level star.

12. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think a star is still a star and right now really only Sengun is consistent enough to be a star. If Amen can be a star whether that's 2nd or 1st tier that will aleady be a major find for us.

vince likes this.
  13. OremLK

OremLK Member

Thing about Amen's shot is, it is godawful right now, but to me it looks like a mechanical issue, not a shooting touch issue. I could be wrong on that, but I feel like his mechanics fluctuate between kinda-okay and totally broken, and the shots that go in or are close to going in are the ones where the mechanics are better. So that gives me some hope he can fix it through hard work.

14. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I changed my min don Amen pre draft...

The shooting initially scared me, but after taking another closer look at him I realized the error of my ways and after Wemby he became my top player.

And I actually think he'll develop a three point shot of at least 30%.

If he gets to 35% or higher it's curtains...

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

The real point guard is the playmaker, which would be Amen. FVV would look to bomb from 3 or do drive and kicks which would make him the sg. Basically between the 2 of them the guy who looks to score in the perimeter will be the sg while Amen who looks to make plays is the pg is how I see it.

Making Amen SG is ok because shooting guards are still smaller than 6'7 so Amen still can dominate defensively. The issue would be if you make him a forward he just losses his advantage cuz SGs reach 6'10 already while also being extremely athletic like Jaden McDaniel.

16. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Amen is awkwardly coordinated. His mechanics seem to better at times but then the new mechanics seem to regress and that awkward coordination takes back over ( on his bad shots). Im not sure how they intend on going about helping him but I think it may take several off seasons of intense work. This isn't going to be a normal " fix his mechanics " type of deal. It's like they need to reconstruct all of his upper body mechanics before working on the shot mechanics if that makes any sense. I'm hopeful but I know his odds of having a passable 3 point shot ever is probably less than 25%. But hey 25% is still a chance. Luckily for him and us fans he has time.

#496 BaselineFade, Feb 16, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2024
    OremLK likes this.
  17. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

FVV will be the guy setting up others in the short term. Amen just isn't a better playmaker right now. He's got time. Hopefully he's there by next trade deadline. Though, I expect as long as FVV is starting, he'll be the real point guard, the playmaker, and the person who looks to make plays for others because he can do that while Amen can do other things.

It is a team game. I don't see how putting FVV as a SG has an advantage as Amen is a better SG than FVV, and FVV is a better current playmaker. Ideally, in a couple of years, Amen's best position will likely be PG and it would be beneficial to get a big skilled SG next to him* as that would be a good fit. I just wouldn't close the door on getting a star PG because the Rockets have Amen.

* unless there is a star PG that the Rockets acquire.

OremLK likes this.
  18. OremLK

OremLK Member

Fred is definitely still more advanced overall, but what is with his inability to throw lobs? Amen is already better at them

roslolian likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

FVV seems to be geared towards being safe with the ball. The lob play is not always a safe play and I think FVV just overthinks it.

20. Nook

Nook Member

His body is built differently than most people and he has a real lack of upper body strength- which makes him look odd because his lower body is very strong.

Once he adds some strength in the upper body, I don’t think it will be an issue. He also is dealing with a 7’0” wingspan, and that is all arms and not shoulders…

His body is ideal in many ways - but with a long torso and arms, it takes time to get control of it.

BaselineFade likes this.