1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Playing GM: From where we are today, if you HAD TO build around Sengun - how would you do it?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Feb 15, 2024.

1. OpportunityCost

Nope. Sengun is good but there is something about his game that seems gimmicky.

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, I usually agree with @Nook about most things, but I don't see Alpi as a power forward. He is quick enough to stay in front of modern centers, but only just. He would get punished by most modern star-level power forwards.

Ideally you'd have a unicorn power forward next to him, a quick 7-footer who can shoot and is a good weakside shotblocker. Those guys are extremely rare and incredibly valuable, and Jabari might already be one of the four or five players closest to what we need. We're talking like, JJJ, Chet, Wemby (assuming he gets better as a shooter)... if you could travel back in time and add a younger AD or KD... Teams don't easily part with these types of players, as you can see.

Barring that, you just do what Denver did and protect the rim by committee. The Amen/Tari/Jabari group actually seems like a pretty good set of players for that. All of them should be able to average over a block per game during their prime years, and so should Sengun. That probably comes to about 5 team blocks per game from just those guys. If you can get another block per game from everybody else combined that puts you right around the top 5 teams for shotblocking.

AroundTheWorld and DrNuegebauer like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Wemby and Chet are both Centers .........they will eventually end up being a Center.

That is how their gravity makes the most impact, even if they are skinnier than most Centers.

I am aware that both have Guard like abilities!

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think that is true, but I think they are quick enough to slide between either position.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I know for the Rockets they probably have to play PF but that is just delaying the inevitable......

Both will be better Centers than Sengün......or at least more impactful defensively.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

In order to build around Sengun he has to develop an average 3pt shot and add strength and weight. He gets bumped around too easily at times.

Let's live in fantasy world a bit longer and I think best case scenario Amen, Tari, and Cam actually pair well with Sengun assuming Amen continues to develop a shot as well. All of this fantasy world is predicated on Amen being able to actually be a point guard and Tari actually being healthy.

From there I think maybe another defensive PF with some range like Jaren Jackson.

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think we keep our powder dry and wait for the right player to become available - whoever it is at whatever position because he isn't on our roster yet.

I also think many are writing off Jabari too soon. He's been dealt a bad hand and his development has suffered as a result - First behind Jalen and now Alpi & Cam.
    He doesn't get a lot of opportunities being a big he needs someone to get him the ball on his spots and just like Silas - Ime doesn't run any plays for him.
    They need to spoon feed him shots at his most efficient locations and run some actions to get him going down hill.

OremLK likes this.
  8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I agree with your post - but I notice a lot of those guys end up playing C, and a heavy rebounding guard comes in alongside them to better open up the offensive side of the game.

Offense seems to flow better around quick attacks off the dribble than slower post ups.

I don't know if building around Alpy is a sure thing. But I would like to see him with a 2guard who can defend and shoot. It would make a case one way or the other

9. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Sengun is hurt right now, bad back

10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I believe Jabari is a Small Forward only. We need to trade away Jalen for Robert Williams from Portland. He could be our Power Forward, block shots, shoot and rebound

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We have the 6th best defense in the NBA.

Alperen Sengun is the last guy I am worried about. We need some starters that can score, dribble, pass, and make their teammates better.

Right now, Fred and Alperen are the ONLY two players who make their teammates better. Amen is on his way.

12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

NO! Its not

13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Don't be surprised if Alpi is the player who Ime is talking about moving to the bench after ALL STAR BREAK.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So you replace him with who? Steven Adams? Lolol.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We always knew that this is where the goalposts would slide to eventually. It's a smart move. So non-specific that no one can chart how dumb the statement is. Alperen could win a championship and this statement could still hold up.

Well done. :D

BamBam and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. cml750

cml750 Member

If I were GM I would get rid of Jalen Green ASAP. He is a lost cause. I like the rest of our young guys. I would be in the market for 3&D players to compliment what we already have. I would also work with Ime to see about bringing in an assistant coach who is familiar with the Aldeman Princeton offense. Ime's defense combined with an Aldeman style offense with good shooters who can play defense is the key to unlocking Alpi's true potential.

BamBam and AroundTheWorld like this.
  17. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Everybody is banged up, no excuses

18. Jorge M Gutierrez

That’s what u forget

19. fattz

fattz Member

Yes and become a beast.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

He is a small forward, not a power forward. And definitely not a center. Jabari at 5, that's not the way.