1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jalen Green will be the Rockets' Numero Uno

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Jan 2, 2024.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

No brainer in being a horrible deal for the Rockets in the long term? Absolutely. Otherwise one of us doesn't either have a brain or greatly exaggerates one of Green or Bridges.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Why be so rude? Just a different opinion on both's relative worth.

AroundTheWorld and jim1961 like this.
  3. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

My first comment on scoring was more from an observation eye test thing not based on stats. But when you look at the stats when we win yes he is up by a 1 point and a half but he is taking less shots. That matches the stats posted before me that I didnt see. From my eye test it seems like the more he has the ball the less we win unless he is really efficient that game which is rare.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

The difference is miniscule and can be more than accounted for by him getting more calls on wins vs losses due to the difference in ft attempts per game between wins vs losses (5.5 vs 2.8). His usage rate increases in wins vs losses as well.

5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Our best player recently. Good one. Tell us you don't actually know what 50% of a basketball game is, without telling us you don't know what 50% of a basketball game is.

Can't see how valuable green is? I can see how valuable green is every single game. For the other team. Oh, wait. You obviously are one of those clowns who ignored that whole 'here's a dozen reasons why Jalen is terrible for the rockets' masterclass.

I wish I could just ignore the overall picture (or not comprehend it, not sure which is worse) and just put blinders on and think a high volume shooter scoring points is an amazing thing.

Can't see how good green is hahaha. What drugs are you on? Share them around

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Absolutely. Makes the team better both immediately and for the future

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Exactly.....whatever makes the team better, regardless of whether he is your favorite player - that is what we as fans should want, Bridges makes us better - he is a true 3 and D 40% 3pt player.....he makes us better.

I know some people like him because he was drafted 2nd, or like the dunks, or some because he shares Philippine heritage - but the team comes first.....and if we can move ANYONE to make us better we should.

DD

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Only if it makes sense both short term and long-term. You could probably move Jabari for Kat and it would make us better right now, but would suck long term. In my opinion, Bridges is better now and will still be better 3 or 4 years from now than Green. But I could sure be wrong. I wouldn't give up Green and a bunch of picks for Bridges, because that would not be a slam dunk trade, because it would impact future flexibility.

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

If you want to prove that the Rockets do better when Jalen shoots less, at least do a chart plotting the shot attempts against team efficiency (preferably adjusted to opponent's average defensive efficiency on the season) and see if there is a linear correlation. Using just some arbitrary cutoff numbers and saying below that number is "less" and above that number is "more" is just a very lazy way to construct a statistical proof.

kpdark and cmlmel77 like this.
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That's a lot of effort, he had black fingernails once and sounds like he's congested when he talks.

Take that for data.

cmlmel77, BigMaloe, cheke64 and 2 others like this.
  11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Someone could do that. It might even be meaningful.
    Or
    Someone could just look for stats that have already been posted over and over dozens of times.

Not directed at you specifically, but its obvious that those that defend Jalen do so because of what they want him to be, perhaps even what he is capable of being. But all the while, ignoring what he is and what he has been.

There is no proving anything to someone who has already decided the matter.

Stats can be cherry picked to fit a narrative.
    But I have seen enough that were not to make any narrative stating Jalen has been overall a good player for the Rockets to this point, outside of the last 8 games, a untrue statement based on relevant facts (not cherry picked ones).

For basketball reasons, I hope Jalen remains for a longer look, but on a personal note, I hope he gets traded so the debate about him goes away on Clutchfans. Its annoying, tiresome and a distraction to all else.

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is very hard to say if Kuminga is not the better 2 way prospect longer term than his Ignite buddy Jalen.

Kumbucket 4 months younger than Green.

13. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

14. invocux

invocux Member

Cumcatcher can't shoot either. I think as of now i'd put him slightly above Tari. However if he gets better from the perimeter you are looking at a Kawhi lite. If he can't meh.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I thought he was older but was pleasantly surprised he is actually younger......

For sure, if he makes the jump to Kawhi lite then yeah but if he cannot then he is just a role player......

A different path than Jalen Green who was known an offensive force ....and Jonathan was the defensive player.

Personally I think the wing position is actually not that difficult to play, that is why I encourage Amen to also feature at that position because of his physical tools.

16. invocux

invocux Member

But the worst thing a player can do to himself is embracing the 'wing defender' role. Sure having a defender on the lineup is fine but only if he can at least make an open shot. If not you are looking at Isaac Okoro and these type of bbers are the worst ones to watch. They are horrible their lack of offensive power starts hurting the team at some point. Anunoby is the exception he can do both and he's valuable but Okoros eventually find themselves in the bench. It's unavoidable if you are not at least a respectable shooter. That's why i'm ALWAYS cautios with the players who can't shoot. These guys are responsible for 5, 6 point swings. They are waiting on the perimeter, you get them the ball nobody is around them and they brick it. Opponent gets the rebound and makes a 3 point shot. It's now 94-94 but it could've been 97-91 if that idiot made it. 2 possession game to 'we are going to lose this game aren't we?' especially if it's an away game.

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Didnt you complain recently because people where criticizing Sengun and followed suit by calling them complainers or haters?

Could have been someone else tho.

Truth is in the bold. You getting upset because someone didn't agree with your observation and had a disagreement with you and calling it childish, is childish in essence.

#837 BigMaloe, Feb 7, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
  18. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

You're arguing with an imaginary group of people. There are no Jalen fans who believe he was good to start the season. We haven't decided the matter because players with HS-level background tend to take 2-3 years to get efficient. Jalen entered the league a HS player (plus 1 month of G League bubble). He's shooting about as poorly as T-Mac and Kobe did in their first few seasons. Sorry if you find it unreasonable to expect him to follow a regular curve for someone with 0 fundamentals, but you making up your mind is the problem rather than the solution here.

Jalen fans predicted him to struggle at the start of the season and turn it around afterwards. He's certainly been better recently and putting together longer streaks of good games than usual. Sounds like we/they are 100% on track with the prediction.

You seem to have predicted he would do well at the start of the season. It sounds to me like you should be disappointed with yourself more than anyone else.

19. jcmoon

jcmoon Contributing Member

you're a garbage ass poster who would rather be right and see our #2 pick fail. Why the hell would any fan want our #2 pick to fail? even if he's eventually traded, you still want him to succeed to boost his trade value.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Why are you yelling lol? Just be consistent, we are seeing the same thing with Sengun, undoubtedly the team's best player. It's just a hypothesis as to why the FGA numbers are what they are for him, and it could be similar for Green. That's all I'm saying.

Mathloom likes this.