1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Fred VanVleet will be the worst FA acquisition in Rockets history

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Texanasiafan, Oct 29, 2023.

1. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

There is at least one person that clearly believes FVV is not overpaid just on this page alone.

Also, of course his on off is going to look great. The two players behind him are Holiday and Amen where one can only shoot and the other is a rookie who can’t shoot at all.

YOLO likes this.
  2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Uh, FVV isn't playing against Holiday and Amen. He's playing against 31 PGs from the opposing teams. So his on/off #s are related to his competition, not his teammates.

The argument posed: Is he the "worst" contract ever? Not by a long shot.
    Is he overpaid: Yes, if you look at production alone. However, his role is to be an adequate NBA ready PG + he's an on-court coach.

But if the Rockets cut him after 2 years of his 4 year contract, is he still overpaid?

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

FVV is only on a 3 year contract though with a club option after year 2. Where do you get 4 years from?

4. chenjy9

Supporting Member

I was specifically referring to the Off part and when used as part of On/Off.

I think we can all agree that worst contract ever is a bad knee jerk reaction. That said, I do not believe that the pros you mentioned remotely justifies the contract we gave him. As for your last question, my answer is a resounding "Yes"

5. krosfyah

Mistake. I think I was thinking of Jae'sean Tate's terms.

So FVV's contract is 130 for 3 years or 43mm/yr but year 3 is a team option. Max players don't sign such contracts. They paid ALOT but it's a short term gamble that unlikely will have impact on cap space flexibility. Which at the end of the day, is all that matters.

Question is, will a big FA shake loose this summer that the Rockets can't pursue because they are carrying FVV's contract? It's possible that his contract becomes an asset next year as a serviceable PG with an expiring contract.

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

A contract match is what FVV was going to be all along. Amen will make him obsolete very soon.

krosfyah likes this.
  7. krosfyah

I'm not even sure what you mean by On/Off. I made a guess. Are you referring to his +/- Net Rating? Because if you are, his +/- rating is amazing.

What does any of that mean?
    "All agree?" Rarely does everybody agree on something.

What is a "bad knee jerk" vs a "good knee jerk"?

Who's to say the FVV contract was a knee jerk reaction at all? I think most reasonable observers recognized the Rocket's biggest need was a PG with the absence of KPJ. It was a very calculated and reasonable move to acquire a PG. I wouldn't call it a good or bad knee jerk.

Your opinion has been noted. I disagree with your opinion.

A contract only becomes a problem when it becomes a problem. With the NBA salary cap rules, one way a contract becomes a problem for a team is it prevents you from making additional moves. So who else would you have paid? Don't forget, they were required to get above the salary cap floor. So they could have picked up rando PG from the Vipers for pennies on the dollar.

I don't get all the hate on compensation. It's not your $. It's Fertitas $. The only thing I care about is the ability for the team to remain flexible while getting better. The team is clearly better than last year and their contract flexibility has not (yet) been hurt. Possibly, their contract situation has improved by next trade deadline with a serviceable PG on an expiring contract. We'll see.

In short, my opinion ...not the "worst" contract ever. Not the "best", but not the "worst". For the time, it's fine.

xaos likes this.
  8. krosfyah

Agreed, that's the best case scenario.

9. conquistador#11

Hilarious that Coach called FVV grumpy. I too was surprised how funny he is on the mic.

10. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I can't believe the FVV contract is still such a topic on this board. It is very easy to understand. FVV is basically a 2 year contract with a team option for a third. It becomes a trade asset next year. We had to spend the money. He was the only decent PG available that would not cost us any assets. He has been a valuable mentor and a contributor to changing the mindset of the organization. He did nothing to make us less flexible now or in the future. I personally believe we are a better team right now when Amen is playing pg. Our problem is surrounding Amen and Senguin with capable and consistent 3 pt shooters that do not slow down the offense. This is a team built for speed. We may already have that in Jabari and Cam, but our offensive synergies have been built around FVV's slow style and PnR. Now that FVV is out is time to start building that fast paced and motion offense.

xaos and Ming The King like this.
  11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Do you think signing Harden to a 4-year max is better than signing FVV for a 2-year-guaranteed max? I don't think anybody is arguing that Harden isn't a better player than FVV and that FVV is far from being worth 40M a year. The issue is the time after Year 2.

12. chenjy9

Supporting Member

Yes, because of the following reasons:
    • He could teach Green how to use pace and deceleration to his advantage
    • He could teach Green and Amen how to recognize and deal with the various looks defenses throw at you and how to overcome them
    • He and Sengun would be amazing playing off each other in a two man game
    • His presence alone guarantees us making the playoffs this season and probably a couple more after that
    • It's always good to see H-Town greats return to and retire in H-Town

Verbal Christ likes this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He would've stunted the growth of Amen, who is our future star. Amen should be starting next year. Harden would have never stood for that while taking away any salary cap flexibility for 4 years.

Easy and xaos like this.
  14. krosfyah

Harden rarely, if ever, made those around him better so your first three points are your opinions, not based in fact.

The ONLY player I can think of that Harden made better was Clint Capela. Sengun is nothing like Capela. If anything, I think Sengun and Harden would clash as they are both most effective with the ball in their hands. Regarding making players better, the inverse seems to be true more often than not. See Westbrook, CP3, etc.

I party agree with point 4 for year 1. However, however Harden has blown up how many teams now? So you have no recent basis to believe he guarantees "a couple more after that".

Harden is like eating a candy bar. Tastes good, for now, but you can't sustain life on candy for long. At some point, you need to eat a kale salad and some protein.

FVV = kale salad
    Harden = a snickers bar. lol

xaos likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

[​IMG]

Reeko likes this.
  16. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

The amount of money doesn't matter when you have nothing to spend it on. Last year we had a ton of money and he was the best FA so we gave him the money. If there was anyone better than FVV available maybe I'd care how much he made. This year in FA there's no one we can sign anyway and next year FVV's contract fan be cut so it doesn't matter. Sometimes a contract is a product of situation and not just ability of the player. If you're dying of thirst in the desert and there's only one stall selling water, you'll pay any price for that water.

#596 lakersuck2, Feb 7, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    Easy likes this.
  17. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

This board is disgusting….FVV is a fantastic player and we are very lucky he is on our team. He’s a winner and a clutch player. We need more of those on this team not less. Guys like Jabrari who don’t impact games are the problem and who we need to get out of the starting lineup if we are going to be a contender.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I really doubt Harden would bother to teach anybody anything.

I agree that with Harden, we would win more games, and have a better chance of making the playoffs. The question is, would we get past first round with Harden and a bunch of kids, let alone contending? Do you really want to sacrifice the future to be a one and done playoffs team?

This is a totally subjective view. And I suspect that this is the true driving reason for whose who advocate for signing Harden.

xaos likes this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

people just say anything on here…it’s insane

YOLO likes this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

This fool actually just made a claim that a player who has yet to miss the playoffs in his career and has lead teams who have no business being in the playoffs doesn't make anyone better LOL. Yeah a lot of folks on this board really have no business posting