1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Alperen Sengun is the Rockets' franchise player

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 17, 2023.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

That move was AWESOME and I think he can get better offensively.....its his DEFENSE that I question

2. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

21 points on 16 shots is not "getting whatever" Turner wanted. You're overstating.

EErrNN, AroundTheWorld and Gergin like this.
  3. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

On defensive rating, it is mostly a team stat except for the great defenders. Sengun was not that yesterday, but plays the position most of those players play.

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Hakeem’s fingerprints all over his game. Love it.

clos4life likes this.
  5. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

If he shot it before the right foot came down I would be inclined to agree with you.

6. Gergin

Gergin Member

Both can be true. Şengün needs to improve defensively (I think he can and he will) but defense is also a team effort. Even a good defensive big needs to be surrounded by good defenders.

Jazz had prime Gobert and couldn't get anything done in the playoffs because they were absolutely getting killed on the perimeter.

Hell no one seems to question Myles Turners defensive capabilities although we were able to score 129 against them without FVV.

clos4life likes this.
  7. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

Alpi's energy was low yesterday, and has been for some time. Anybody who watched the game, or just saw the look on his face and how he was dragging his body overall for a couple minutes could see that. But I think your diagnosis is wrong. He didn't check out defensively because his offense isn't flowing. He was checked out in general but still can do something decent on offense because that's his thing, not as good as his usual but not that bad either.

Although the defensive rating cannot be compared to conclude he was better than other starters, his net rating and his +/- are positive in a game he played 36 minutes. It doesn't mean his defense was good or even average directly, but it certainly didn't cost the game and is not the main problem to identify. And this is on a relatively poor offensive production. His net rating and +/- would even be better if he had his regular offensive game.

It is the bench that lost the game and that is not very surprising. FVV is out, you are left with Sengun who really has pg type vision to control the game. And Green and Holiday that can put the ball on the floor and create something. That is too little and at some points in the game it had a cost. In addition Cam, when his shot falls has great production and suddenly boosts the team but when it doesn't fall the team loses all the rhythm, makes it harder to keep up on defense as well.

Hive5 and HardenReturns like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It was a borderline non-call. Extremely hard to judge without slow mo. It looked awkward though. That's why a lot of people thought it was travel when it happened. The so-called Euro steps when it first was used egregiously by Ginobili raised some eyebrows. Harden's step back was also questioned. All these moves don't look like natural basketball moves. Only after countless reviews and analyzing did people start to accept their legitimacy.

Also, NBA refs usually give the offensive player the benefit of the doubt for post moves. We saw some of those questionable moves by LeBron and Kawhi posted in the past. Runaway dunks also have a lot of no call traveling.

AlperenSengun likes this.
  9. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

But wait, there is a tweet that says metrics wise Sengun's defense is good

10. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Looking at the boxscore, NOBODY was good defensively yesterday. Singling out one guy when he actually had the best defensive field goal percentage (among all players being bad) and contested most shots is nonsense.

Jabari contested 13 shots and 10 times, the opposing team scored. Jalen only contested 8 shots, and 6 times, the opposing team scored. Alpi contested 23 shots, and 13 times, the opposing team scored. None of that is particularly great, but singling out Sengun is stupid.

https://www.nba.com/game/hou-vs-ind-0022300719/box-score?type=defense

upload_2024-2-7_11-58-35.png

BTW, "defensive God" Myles Turner contested 22 shots and 11 times, the Rockets scored. Extremely similar to Alpi's numbers.

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Indiana drags everyone into a crazy shooting match with them, it's hard to judge defense at that pace. I will say certainly no one really looks great defensively on either team.

With that said sometimes I do wish Sengun had more length to contest

12. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I agree that it was and should be a no-call, just discussing whether the assertion was correct which is more of a technicality than anything else.

Easy likes this.
  13. clos4life

clos4life Member

Don't we all? I mean, you would basically have a poor man's Hakeem at that point in time and no way he would have gone anything less than #1 in the draft.

14. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

15. MystikArkitect

"Alperen Sengun is definitely a guy whos motiviation to play defense hinges on his production on the offensive side of the ball. This was one of the worst defensive performances by Alperen of the season. And I'm sure a lot of fans are going to be upset at hearing that. The Alpy stans out there. I'm sorry. But it was."

#11895 MystikArkitect, Feb 7, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2024
    harold bingo likes this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I dont want to destroy this safe space, but THIS is usually where the discussion goes off the rails.

Dream in Year 3:

Xerobull likes this.
  17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Awesome highlights.

Alpy isn't close to Dream, who is the GOAT center. I just see some his training paying off here. He has the finesse, footwork and IQ to pull off some of those crazy, amazing moves.

clos4life and harold bingo like this.
  18. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

You mean this is when the discussion will go off the rails when Sengun is 24, because you will still try to **** on your player rather than enjoying your player.

OR let's do it Os style:

why are sengun haters so sensitive :confused:

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Nah I'll allow you SOFs the space to wallow around together for the sake of civility, but everytime you guys try to position Sengun alongside one of the true GOATS of this sport let alone Houston royalty you should expect me or any of the other REAL Rocket fans to chime in. You could always go take a sht on Jalen Green - seems that always makes you guys feel better!

glimmertwins likes this.
  20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

It's okay we **** on everyone at any age. You should see the hate threads for James Harden