1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka not happy with Rockets selfish play, inability to make extra pass

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Feb 4, 2024.

1. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

We need his 3pt shot too.
    We cannot keep running these Amen + Tate line-ups especially not against teams like Timberwolves who would love to pack the paint on defense.
    Just look at all of our Ls and most of it comes down to math.
    Our players generated quite a lot of decent looks, but our shooters can't knock down shots.

albuster likes this.
  2. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The NBA read and react style of play on offense is not conducive for coaching without a superstar and understood hierarchy. Without a superstar it gives young players the green light to shoot away instead of deferring and playing off of a star.

I see the Rockets most of the time playing off of Sengun as if he was a superstar and that’s a good thing that Ime should be happy with even though it’s unlikely that many players in the league really respect him in that manner yet that they would with an established star.

All things considered I don’t think the “selfish” play is a huge issue if it’s an issue at all. Yes Cam is bombs away but he also is hitting a good percentage of his shots to justify.

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The only problem with this analysis is that when Amen was in the game the offense ran better than at any other time. He and Cam were again the only breaths of fresh air in the game. If Holiday is missing his 3 pointers, he brings absolutely nothing to this team. He got 16 mins, Amen got 17, ridiculous. Amen and Cam need 25 mins a game minimum. Off the bench is fine. FVV is tired and losing his fire. He needs to play no more than 30 mins and should always be replaced Amen, not Holiday. Jalen will also play better with Amen and Cam than with FVV. That's why I say make a trade for Brogdon if it doesn't cost too much and get those guys playing together to build chemistry for next year and also to bring some life to this season.

4. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

I like Udoka. He's a great players coach and motivator, but I hate when coaches don't hold themselves accountable. Mike D'antoni and some others were the same way. I don't think I've ever heard Udoka say "this loss was on me," or "there's some things the coaching staff could have done differently." Edit: I've been corrected. Thanks @Nook

Once again the same starting lineup was out there and got the Rockets in a hole the 1st quarter. Different game, same story. It was Amen who came in and changed the game by playing great defense, pushed the pace and made some great passes. Despite his shooting woes, Amen impacts the game in many other areas and he's a matchup problem for teams. He needs more than 20 minutes of playing time. Right before or after they come back and tied the game at 44 in the 2nd quarter, Udoka puts the starters back in.

Then of course they start to get blown out the in the 3rd quarter. The starting lineup hasn't had good chemistry the whole season. They've always needed the bench, which is why Tari being out this long is such a huge blow.

Cam came in and shot a lot but that's what the Rockets needed. He's their best shooter and missed some he normally makes. He was still almost the leading scorer in just 19 minutes. Dillon Brooks was also trying to be a one man wrecking crew at times and Jalen missed open players on his drives. So did Holiday.

Jalen was right - Against big teams like that you have to push the pace and tire them out. Force them to go smaller. FVV has shown himself incapable of running an up tempo offense. I like him as a player and leader, but I think he's holding Jalen back. His size limits his ability to hit open players the way Amen does. A set offense is ok when FVV is hitting his shots, but when he's off, they tend to struggle. The two man game with Sengun and Jabari's been effective but Jabari hardly touches the ball on offense.

Jalen or FVV either needs to be traded, or one of them needs to come off the bench. Jalen likes to get out and run. FVV at times misses easy passes and lobs simply due to his height and arm length. The Rockets need a scoring point guard because the roster's not deep with shooters. Which is why they should have signed Harden. He can easily create for himself and others.

Overall though, Minnesota is a great team. They're big and well balanced. Next season Adams at center and Sengun at PF would be a much better matchup w/ Tari taking care of Reed when they come off the bench. Amen will most likely be a starter by then and a star will most likely be acquired. I'm looking forward to phase 3.

#64 BasketballMind, Feb 5, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2024
  5. a time to chill

The NBA is a player driven league. It would be empty talk for Ime to say “it’s on me.” You could make all those adjustments and the Rockets would still lose because he can’t make wide open shots for them. This roster is not talented enough and it’s up to Stone to make some trades to make them more competitive.

albuster likes this.
  6. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

I'm with you there. I want more Amen minutes, just not with Tate at the same time

7. albuster

albuster Member

I've been dreaming to see that style with Sengun as the hub. Still, the main problem with the Rockets right now is that they do not have a consistent threat at the three point line and the opponents know this by constantly packing the paint and swarming Sengun. They dare the others to shoot long distance and that is the weakness of the Rockets' offense. Stone should trade for a high percentage three point shooter and that should open up a lot of opportunities for everyone. I would also like to see Bari move more and not hesitate to shoot. Amen is starting to smartly recognize how to play with Sengun but it is still hard to make the cuts consistently when the paint is packed due to the opponents' disrespecting the Rockets' long range shooting. The solution is really to get a reliable sniper.

Antares and Strawberry Gum like this.
  8. OkayAyeReloaded

We lost to the #1 defense and one of the best teams in the league, it happens. We'll get better with time, no need to overreact let's learn and move on to the next game.

34to11 likes this.
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

10. Nook

Nook Member

Nah - Cam exercised poor judgment tonight when it came to deciding when to pass and when to shoot.

Cam is only 19 years old, so there is plenty of time to improve, but at times he plays with horse blinders on - and they have been trying to break him of that habit, because we won't win **** if he does that and is a high usage player.

Jabari Smith was the third pick in the draft - and he is 20 years old.... shooting 47/38 from the floor, rebounding and playing strong defense. I don't know that he will ever be a "franchise player", but he is on the pace to be very good. His production at his age is very encouraging.

Amen Thompson was taken 4th in a draft that a lot of people viewed as a 3 player draft. Thompson was injured in the pre-season and then was injured again to start the season. The last 20 games - Amen is shooting almost 53% from the field, he is averaging 18.5 minutes and 9 points/5.5 rebounds and 3 assists a game while usually being the best defensive player on the court.

Tari has been hurt a lot this year, but has played very well when he has been on the court.

The value of a #2-5 pick depends on who is available in the draft. In 2021 the Rockets took Green over Mobley, Barnes and Wagner... which isn't looking good. However, in 2022 the only player really better than where Jabari was taken, was Jaylin Williams and he went all the way to 12th... and even as good as Holmgren has been, he is a walking injury concerns. In 2023 the Rockets took Amen Thompson, and other than Whitmore, there is no one they passed on that so far has been better.... and the Rockets got Whitmore at #20.

I'm not Mr. Sunshine, I have concerns about the Rockets roster and the actual talent on the roster - but they have for the last couple drafts done well. Like I said, you have an argument if you want crap on the Rockets taking Green, but that's about it for lottery picks.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I don't think you can expect the coach to take the blame--the whole idea is to exude confidence and demand the best from your guys. Even if you f***ed up on the rotations or whatever, it's still up to the guys on the floor to be accountable for their play and it's not helpful to hand them excuses and reasons to doubt your coaching.

It may be more helpful in specific situations to say "I should have challenged that play" or "I let my temper get the best of me and should have avoided that technical", I guess. But for larger strategic calls a leader needs to stay focused on getting the best out of his players.

Moe likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

“Execution-wise, end of game, you know, I got to get us in a better spot to get the shots we want. Not force some turnovers and tough shots and late shot clock shots. Find a way for us to get the baskets we need,” Udoka said. “That’s on me to get us in the situations to get the proper looks out of the zone.” January 21, 2022 as Celtics Head Coach

Following a 110-99 loss to the Sixers, Ime Udoka said,
    "This one is on me." January 14, 2022.

13. Nook

Nook Member

I think that in very isolated situations where a particular decision a coach makes ends up costing them the game AND the coach has genuine remorse, it is fine.... but it really should be VERY seldom, like maybe once a year. There is a reason that Presidents seldom take blame unless it is a similar situation. If you are young and you leader is taking blame too often, you begin to question them.

I am not Mr. Old School - but there is a balance.

Deuce and OremLK like this.
  14. 34to11

34to11 Member

01/31/2024:
    So glad we have a coach smarter than our fan base.

15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Rick Adelman or Mike Dantoni can run this offense way better than Ime Udoka.

I am not impressed by Ime Udoka half court schemes and 2 - 6'0 Guard lineup of Fred VanVleet and Aaron Holiday.

If Mike Dantoni was coaching this Team PG/SG Jalen Green, PG/SG Amen Thompson, SF Dillon Brooks, Cam Whitmore at PF, Jabari Smith at Center.

Alperen Sengun and Fred VanVleet gets Substitute Out.

Tari Eason at PF if he was healthy.

16. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Both need to be traded Fred VanVleet and Dillon Brooks don't fit in the long term.
    Need Cap Space and real Depth at Forward and Center 7'0 and above mobile Big.

Need some Legit Height at Forward and Center

Rockets are really undersized compared to Minnesota

Amen Thompson takes over Fred VanVleet
    Cam Whitmore takes over Dillon Brooks

#76 rockets1995, Feb 5, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2024
    daywalker02 likes this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

Maybe - long term? Likely

I am not sure that MDA or RA would have the offense in a better spot at this point because that it is a weird roster and because they are young and not used to discipline.

Long term RA and MDA would run a better offense - but they should, as they are 2 of the top 5 offensive coaches in NBA history. It is like saying Thibs would have a better defense - well he is the best defensive coach in decades.

The value of a coach is the totality of his work, offense - defense, load management, player development - etc.

As it is, right now there are not a lot of pieces that scream great offense in 2024 on this team.

Udoka also doesn't have the roster he wants yet - and like 6 of the top 8 players on the roster are 23 or younger.

BigMaloe, 34to11 and OkayAyeReloaded like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

If the Rockets roll out a back court of Thompson and Whitmore right now, the Rockets will lose like 75% of their games.

They are both rookies with serious flaws that impact winning. Thompson cannot shoot and struggles with his handle when he is pressed. Whitmore has blinders on and has defensive issues.

19. invocux

invocux Member

We lost because styles make fights. They are bigger than us at every single position and they have 2 borderline superstars who can go off anytime and drop 20 pts in a quarter. Other than Bucks and Wolves i believe that we can beat anyone in playoffs. I legit believe that. We wouldn't be favourites against Knicks, Clippers, Nuggets, Pels, Cavs, Kings etc. but i 100% believe that we have a great shot at eliminating anyone not called Wolves and Bucks. We could lose to Kings 4-0 but nobody would be shocked if Sengun outplays Sabonis, we defend well and we win it 4-3. Things like that. I fully believe that this team is far more dangerous than it looks especially after the addition of Cam and Amen. Considering Tari will be back in couple of weeks if we make the play-in we will have a team that has enough offensive and defensive power. A well balanced team on both ends is a dangerous team. We have a microwave scorer like Cam and as much as we don't like him Green can score 15 pts in a quarter. We are young, we are not a contender but we are unpredictable and full of energy. We beat the Kings in back to back games, beat Nuggets 3 times, beat healthy Lakers multiple times, beat Pelicans, almost beat Clippers (got shafted by the refs), went toe to toe with healthy Mavs, beat the Bucks. Anyone who doesn't take us serious will pay the price.

20. JW86

JW86 Member

Hahahaha this is funny. Rick Adelman not using a center who can pass and be the initiator to an offense…strange. I could’ve sworn he made Brad Miller and Divac look like geniuses.