1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston offered "several" Nets picks to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jan 31, 2024.

1. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This reminds me of something Morey did once when trying to trade for a player just to see how stubborn the other GM was. Morey was iffy on trading a FRP pick for the player, but the opposing GM was adament even a FRP wasn't enough. Morey tentatively floated the idea with no intention of actually doing it of "what if we offered two FRPs for player X" to the opposing GM. Opposing GM said no to the obvious overpay in Morey's mind. Morey moved on knowing the other GM wasn't amenable to anything they would actually do.

Though Morey was know to being equally as stubborn always making incredibly low offers hoping anchoring bias would help in his negotiations. Opposing GM could have just been doing the same.

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

Thank you Sean Marks from saving RuhfellDoka from themselves.

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

in the playoffs last year and during this season bridges has shown that he's not even a viable #2 go-to guy for a winning team. sean marks is a damn fool to be asking so much

ramotadab, BaselineFade and OremLK like this.
  4. xaos

xaos Member

@YOLO answered before I could because I was getting around to it but wanted to hear the logic first, but Anthony Edwards is a guy to build around and will be in the MVP discussion for years. There's nothing more valuable than that in the NBA and teams can go a whole decade or more waiting for a guy like Anthony Edwards.

Mikal is good and can be a key contributor on almost any team (redundant on Clips), but just an elite role player. Mikal isn't even a max player let alone belonging in the convo of Edwards

ramotadab, YOLO and OremLK like this.
  5. plegus

plegus Member

I was going to say I wouldn’t trade them head to head. But additional pickS? Tough. If we did not have Cam, who is still fairly unknown, I wouldn’t too. Imagine Jalen keeps this up for the rest of the season. There would be no trade talk at all again, ever.

ramotadab and fchowd0311 like this.
  6. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I think it's very clear at this point that last years version of Mikal on the nets was a fluke, and he's not a star or really even close to it. I wouldn't be against trading for him at the right price, but all the nets picks is beyond an asinine overpay

7. plegus

plegus Member

Would they give him if we offer Alperen instead? Mikal+Claxton for Alperen+pick(s) and fillers.

8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

BKN is crazy but also stupid if they won't accept Jalen + their picks back for Mikal.

Also Stone sucks at trades and contracts.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  9. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Thank you Nets LMAO I think their GM is even worse than ours lol

Little Bit likes this.
  10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

You know we're not doing that lol

11. plegus

plegus Member

Yeah, now that we have Steven Adams, Claxton is redundant :D

Joe Rocket likes this.
  12. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

OH **** I didnt know that lol

plegus likes this.
  13. Landry's Tooth

Sure, but Edwards could also be T-Mac.

I think it comes down to bias against defense. Bridges is on defense what Luka is on offense.

Both sides matter.

Saying you have to think about it isn't crazy when the advanced stats favor Bridges.

Bridges is safer pick with less upside, but Edwards isn't likely to become elite on defense. He's just now getting close to elite efficiency on offense.

14. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

the Udoker has spoken!

J.R. likes this.
  15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

What are you talking about? Bridges is fine on defense but unless you’re talking about the absolute best big men, his defense will not matter THAT match. Are the nets elite on defense? What advanced stats favor bridges? Edwards blows him away this year in every metric

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

17. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Probably but we wouldn't do that. Jalen Green for Mikal Straight up or no deal.

18. Landry's Tooth

Advanced stats favoring Bridges:

VORP, TS%, BPM

That's career... Ant has had a nice half season and Bridges is down this season.

I put more stock in 2 or 3 seasons than half a season. Maybe he keeps it up.

For the record, I never said I wouldn't take Edwards over Bridges.

I said I would have to think about it.

I would consider an elite wing defender pretty important. How many rings does Kawhi have?

Honestly, if you don't have to think about that, you probably don't follow basketball much.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Udoker needs to chill. He’s chasin’ that tail again err play-in. He needs to chill.

sirjesse and ramotadab like this.
  20. xaos

xaos Member

Using advanced metrics to say Bridges is better is like saying a body builder is fat because on a BMI scale he is classified obese.

#200 xaos, Feb 1, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2024