1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston offered "several" Nets picks to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jan 31, 2024.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

the nets are stupid lol. They aren't going anywhere with this team and they can't blow it up knowing we have their picks

2. xaos

xaos Member

What is the argument for Mikal over Anthony Edwards?

3. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yeah, we are starting to overrate Bridges. I'd take Ant and Morant over him without question.

4. MystikArkitect

Jalen + 24 FRP for Bridges is an overpay for the Nets.

Jalen + 24 FRP, 25 FRP is an overpay for Bridges.

There's a deal there that works for both sides but it'd probably be like Green + all Nets picks for Cam Johnson, Mikal Bridges and Nick Claxton with a deal already in place for Claxton to re-sign with us like Pascal did for the Pacers. Nets would be able to have their future plus Phoenix future and have Simmons/Green plus next year's draft pick.

DaDakota likes this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

How disappointed will you be if Green stays after the trade deadline?

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

For me he falls into that category of "star player, but not a franchise-altering superstar". Whereas Bridges is not even a star, he's just a really good roleplayer. Lauri in my view is more of a mediocre defender than a bad one. You can call that a two-way player or not, but I don't think he is a total liability on defense, is my point.

In any case, he currently leads the league in catch-and-shoot points and he's doing it highly efficiently. He's good enough to be the #2 option on a contender in my view. Bridges is more like a #3.

7. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I'm not sure there is one.
    I doubt that is what he is arguing?

I think the argument goes:
    Currently there is a 1 in 4 chance the Nets pick goes top 4.
    If it does, there appears to be (historically) a 3 in 10 chance of it then becoming a player better than Bridges.

So IF we could trade for Bridges or gamble on a 7.5% chance of getting someone better, should we consider it? (Ie, make the move that is 92.5% likely to be the better move?)

I can see the argument for trading the '24 pick (and even Green) for Bridges. And I would probably do it, but only because he can be a complementary player to a Sengun, Smith, Whitmore, Thompson, Eason pool of emerging talent.

TimDuncanDonaut and Easy like this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

For the right organization, Lauri could be more of a 1b ...yeah.

A lot of people said Thunder......but in that direction.

9. fchowd0311

that is way too much for a 28 year old borderline star.

10. MystikArkitect

I won't be. I just dont see a huge market for a human Scratch Off Ticket which is what Jalen Green ultimately is right now. This is arguably his best stretch of his career and teams still won't want to gamble much more than a mid 1st for him. I could see Chicago trading Caruso maybe but I wouldn't even do that if I'm the Rockets. Defense isn't the Rockets problem. It's efficiency and their back court is as inefficient as it comes.

Trade for Bridges makes the most sense for both sides. The population of SGs that fit here next to Sengun is small. They need to be tallish, good defenders and efficient. Basically Jaylen Brown, Devin Booker, Ant Edwards, Mikal Bridges....struggling to name some others.

I think Jalen ultimately stays and backs up Cam next year.

BamBam likes this.
  11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Most of those guys are too old to actually fit next to a hypothetical "best player on a contender" Sengun in 5ish years. (And also totally unavailable, but I'm sure you know that.)

Coby White is a guy I could see fitting. He's evolved into something not dissimilar from what Jamal Murray was around the same age.

MystikArkitect likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

It really doesn't make sense. The core of players here long term are 21 or under. Mikal Bridges is 28. He's peaked. This is the best he'll ever be. Green's ceiling is is obviously higher by a large margin also. It would be a horrible stupid decision.

13. fchowd0311

Still silly. Green 2 years from now(which is the current age and experience of White) will more than likely be a superior player.

14. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It’s not close to enough lol

15. YOLO

YOLO Member

Mikal Bridges is 27. He's in reality still in his early prime years

16. fchowd0311

Imagine saying that when we are discussing the value of a 21 year old. Sure Bridges isn't a geriatric who is past his prime. He's in his prime and that means he is who he is now. There ain't more with Bridges.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

i don't need to imagine. He's 27. that's just a fact

I couldn't careless if there's more in Bridges. he's a damn good player and someone the young guys on this team can learn from

18. fchowd0311

Convincing argument.

19. fchowd0311

Yes he's 27. That's a fact. You brought up that number for a reason. I don't think you brought it up to start a new wikipedia alternative.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

Yeah i brought it up for a reason bc his age isn't a factor since he's still young