1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 7: Two Green Paths

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jan 29, 2024.

?

Where is Jalen headed?

1. More bought in, he will take a step this season

53.9%
  2. He is what he is, I do not expect him to improve in the second half

46.1%
  1. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Spring Green is coming.

Mathloom likes this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Chapter 11 is right around the corner.

Invisible Fan and Corrosion like this.
  3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

At this point I don't think he'll improve in 2nd half. He needs to put in work on the offseason to improve his shooting. Hopefully he does that this offseason assuming he's still on team.

Mathloom likes this.
  4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Chapter 7 means no reorganization and an outright liquidation of assets. Jalen to ATL for Clint Capela confirmed.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Is Jalen Green the Evergrande of the NBA?

SamFisher likes this.
  6. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

why isn't Sengun on the cover of that? reported

7. NewAge

NewAge Member

I don’t get it. Why are there no women/money/fame on the path to superstar?
    Which Green are talking about here? A.C. Green?
    (deep cut for true NBA junkies :D)

BamBam and HardenReturns like this.
  8. a time to chill

If Jalen needs Udoka to do that for him he's never going to be the guy he was hyped to be and we should trade him now while he still has value.

The best scorers in the game don't need a coach to tell them what to do on the court to get a bucket. As much as I dislike James Harden, he was right in saying 'he is a system' and not a system player. Although James could benefit from adapting his game to what the coach wants in the playoffs to get others involved in the offense, in the regular season he doesn't need a coach to implement a system for him to have success on the basketball court. He knows how to hunt for his own shots and scoring opportunities. If he isn't getting the ball, he's not going to be happy and voice his discontent.

Look at Cam Whitmore. Cam doesn't need a system for him to find ways to score the basketball. He's a better shooter, can drive to the basket, and just seems to have a natural ability to consistently put the ball in the bucket. The problem with him is getting him to pass the ball and improve on defense. However, no one doubts his ability to score against NBA defenses at 19 years old. In a few more years, he's going to be an all-star caliber player once he improves on his weaknesses.

While Jalen seems to be coachable, I think he's been way too passive for most of the season - too willing to pass the ball and stand somewhere on the perimeter. When they pass it back to him, he wastes shot clock time by dribbling and when he can't break his man down, passes it back out to someone else.

That game against Philly comes to mind where he passes to Jock Landale rather than take the final 3-point shot.

In games where he is more aggressive, he has had more success, but he's often inefficient and we end up losing those games because of it. He's inefficient because he's a poor perimeter shooter, can't drive to the basket and get to the foul line, and often makes terrible decisions (e.g. shooting poor shots, turning the ball over, etc.).

I can't remember a game where we won and we said we won because of Jalen Green. He's what Steve Smith would call a JAG - Just a Guy.

When Jalen said he needed more structure from coaching after Silas was fired, that was a red flag to me that he doesn't have the mentality to be a top-tier player in the two-guard position.

TL;DR - If Jalen Green was an elite player, he wouldn't need coaching for everyone to see that he's a special player.

Denovo and daywalker02 like this.
  9. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

That's an imitator. Only mathloom is the author of the book

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The first red flags were that he was not just thin but super thin and small ish......

And he was shooting 36% in the smallest sample sizes from the G League.

He had his best scoring nights mostly against bad or mediocre Defenses.

He still can be some version of a Jamal Crawford, play limited minutes scoring and playing adequate Defense......

#30 daywalker02, Jan 29, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
    a time to chill likes this.
  11. OnNotice

OnNotice Member

LETS GETITT, PAGE 2!

Option 3 - HE WILL LEAD US TO THE PLAYOFFS!

Mathloom likes this.
  12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Plowman was just having some fun with that thread and we had a chat about it after I had a mini freak out about it. He didn't have any bad intentions and while he's not a big Green fan he totally understands these threads exist to try to generate some thoughtful hope and optimism. He's definitely not an enemy of the movement, no worries.

Plowman likes this.
  13. MystikArkitect

I wanted Bonzi Wells, Stromile Swift, Ty Lawson, Vassilis Spanoulis, Donatas Motiejunas, Royce White, Ron Artest, Jeremy Lin, Rafer Alston and Dwight Howard to work out too. Amongst others.

Not saying Jalen Green is Royce White because he isn't. But he's closer to Royce White than he is to Alperen Sengun.

Corrosion and TheJet like this.
  14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is a huge exaggeration. People dictate the shot chart of most young players, especially if they are struggling. Coaches dictate what constitutes a bad shot in their offensive system. Coaches can tell players to drive more or shoot more or take fewer midrange jumpers.

Also, I'm a fan. My team threw a whole year away to get that #2 pick. If what it takes for Jalen to smarten up is to dictate his shots for a period of time, Ime/whoever better get off his high horse and save us that massive difference in trade/salary value we would be losing. I don't care who's fault it is. If someone we're paying can do it, then do it. Such a weird thing to say "not my job" about. We're in Phase 2, it is part of the coach's job to develop the young players right now this season.

The only reason this needs to be done now btw is because for the past 2 years WE did the exact opposite of what we were supposed to do for a high schooler. We made him repeat bad shots at one of the highest volumes for a 19/20 year old in NBA history for two years, that's on us. Yes we wanted to tank, but we also knew bad habits are part of the tanking game. If we can catch up or undo that, yes we should do that.

Cam Whitmore can shoot, if his 3pt shot is not falling he's doing less on the court than Jalen Green. Cam is ALSO having problems driving into a crowded paint, this has been heavily discussed. He's a worse defender and a worse passer. So all you're saying is "well Cam can shoot" and we know that. Jalen is not a shooter like Cam, his game is more about beating his man and getting to the rim where he's an excellent FT generator and has always been relative to his age group or younger. That's not a good example and not even a fair one to Whitmore. Whitmore is a rising star and going to be amazing at all these things with experience. Every guard that should be driving to the paint is getting low volume or low efficiency, this type of scoring is available on all teams but for some reason everyone is below expectations doing it on our team. This is not an issue that affects shooters. Cam would be getting more drives on any other team and his offense would look even better.

glenadyll likes this.
  15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

crap, you beat me to it!!!

SamFisher likes this.
  16. TheJet

TheJet Member

That list legit triggered some repressed feelings.

17. kubli9

kubli9 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Whatever possibility there was for Jalen to turn it around in the 2nd half is now gone thanks to another Mathloom jinx thread.

18. apollo33

apollo33 Member

what da mans be going in the previous 2 offseasons? we know he was working out with Booker and Durant along with a bunch of open runs with other NBA players, FVV. but perhaps he should just work on his shooting and fundamentals. clearly whatever he was working on isn't helping.

Corrosion likes this.
  19. a time to chill

Sure a coach can tell what type of shots he would like players to get. My point is that Jalen shouldn't need that for us to see whether he's a special player. He's proven time and again that he's not skilled in the art of bucket getting. An elite player should be able to bail out poor coaching, but a good coach isn't somehow going to develop an average NBA player into an elite one. There's something inherent that those players have that you can't teach (e.g. mindset, natural God-given ability, etc.). They either have it or they don't. Jalen doesn't have it. I'm not saying he's not going to be a good player. I'm saying he's not going to be an elite franchise cornerstone-type player. If he's not going to be that, we should seek to trade him.

Jalen had coaching under Silas, but the issue was that the roster was so poorly constructed it was hard for spectators to properly evaluate anyone in that environment. We see things not working and automatically assume that it was because of 'poor coaching', but we don't know specifically what players were instructed to do and whether they just deviated from the game plan.

Early in the season, people thought Udoka was a godsend, but now that we've started losing games, people are starting to criticize Udoka saying he needs to coach better. It's the same talking points with these people, the lineups and rotations need to be better, why aren't we trying this on offense, etc. You would think if these people were the coaches we'd be undefeated. These people have fallen into the trap of trying to elongineer the Houston Rockets. The simple truth is that some of these players need to be traded to bring in players that can help us stay in competition for a play-in spot...Jalen Green included.

Udoka was brought in to win. His job is to separate the wheat from the chaff on the roster, and right now Jalen Green is chaff.

Shooting is important. If a guard can't shoot with consistency then how good is he really?

#39 a time to chill, Jan 29, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2024
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Artest did alright, he just left to ride the coat tails of Bean Bryant......and changed his name to Metta WP.

It is like the lead drummer leaving the band for a better gig.