1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Oakland In-N-Out Burger closes due to crime

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 21, 2024.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

tinman likes this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

‘Armed robberies’
    But I ordered a defund the police and no bail policy with my double double

ROXRAN likes this.
  3. tinman

Supporting Member

lol but but Houston has hoods and has crime !
    Leaves out detail that Oakland has 400k people and more crime and ghetto than Houston which has over 2.2 million people

4. tinman

Supporting Member

5. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

So my family moved to this country in 1991 and i’ve lived in fremont (about 30 min from oakland) since. Most of my time living here it was an extremely safe city with 0 homelessness. Now there are tons of homeless and crime has skyrocketed. Hell, even in my condo complex someone’s car was broken into last week

AroundTheWorld and tinman like this.
  6. tinman

Supporting Member

Time for you to look at sugarland Texas breh

7. tinman

Supporting Member

@ROXRAN

8. tinman

Supporting Member

@Xerobull
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes cities go through changes, and those changes have to be addressed not just in that city, but also in the surrounding areas of the state. Again, I come back to Houston because obviously if you are here... you like or even love Houston to some extent. In Houston, there has been issues with mass homelessness (see post Katrina), and certainly there has been times of huge spikes in crime. Have you ever been to Austin, Texas??? You want to talk about homelessness....

Despite what FoxNews will lead you to believe, homelessness isn't a Blue State/Red State problem. It's a nationwide, or sometimes global issue with housing, and real estate. Even globally now it's an issue where we now have an excess of Commercial Real Estate that is being undervalued, and Personal Real Estate that is being overvalued, and investors have seized up personal real estate to choke off the supply, and continue to raise demand.

However I do see that being corrected over time even though the Fed focuses too much on punishing individuals instead of writing laws in Congress, and at the State level to curb these real estate practices.

And if you want to make it about a Red/Blue thing, then sure let's do that.... and let's start with this nugget here. The single large legislative achievement made during the Trump administration which had more impact on our real estate economy than any single state law or policy that might or might not encourage a little compassion and human decency in theory although it might cause some inconvenience for wealthy people:

https://www.bldup.com/thought_leade...nt-trump-s-tax-plan-on-the-real-estate-market

All this being said, Oakland and many cities in California are NOT the hellhole that FoxNews would lead you to believe. Yes... there are homeless people you'll run into if you are walking downtown. Yes... you could get your car broken into. That also could happen in Houston, or Memphis, or Atlanta, or Orlando, or hell... could happen in small town MAGA country Texas. Just the other day our distant family that lives in Fayette County told us about a Meth operation that was busted up.

Guys... California, and Blue States are not THAT bad. Red states have the same issues. I personally went to Oakland recently and I LIVED TO TELL THE TALE!! (it's fine. Not as nice as San Fran or Berkley yes... but it's not THAT bad.)

10. tinman

Supporting Member

I trust someone from Fremont cause they weren’t dumb enough to live in Oakland
    Over a woke person visiting Oakland any day of the week
    @AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Only time i was ever in texas in my life is a flight layover in dallas 15 years ago, so no idea what it’s like there. I have zero interest in politics, or in watching “news”. All i care about is how it is here where i live, and how it has gone downhill.

Nook, AroundTheWorld and tinman like this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

He doesn’t care about your situation
    He clearly doesn’t know Oakland from Berkeley or emeryville
    @basso

but 99ers do
    @Space Ghost
    We keep it real

13. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Emeryville is pretty bad to. I just avoid the awful cities in general as much as possible, like Oakland/sf. I’m not a huge fan of filth so it’s not for me

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Whoa, emeryville went downhill?

is Palo Alto still safe? (Not east)

15. dobro1229

Well you are on a Houston Texas sports fansite so I assumed that you had a little bit of background on Texas or Houston. My point is separate from politics. That's my point. Housing is a global issue, and certainly a national issue. It's unique to Oakland or blue cities like the OP is trying to make it out to look like. You might not have a political motive here, but the OP sure as hell does.

16. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

That is certainly true, but SF is the worst city I've ever been for homelessness, followed by DC. They exist everywhere, but they are very much in the public eye in those cities. The crazy thing is, SF doesn't seem a good place to be homeless. I know if I had to choose between being homeless over there, or homeless in GA, I'm being homeless in GA.

AroundTheWorld and dobro1229 like this.
  17. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Ya i was a big dream and Barkley fan as a kid so in 96 when the trade happened i became a full fledged rockets fan, then astros when i got into baseball then texans. People are always confused but that’s the story haha

18. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Palo alto has some nice areas and good restaurants for sure! Going to a nice one Thursday

19. dobro1229

I'm guessing there wasn't much of a choice in sides of the country to be homeless in. I don't know the surrounding suburb areas of the Bay Area well enough to know exactly what happened but certainly can speak to my experiences living in Hou, Austin, and DFW. Alot of times it has to do with gentrification of lower cost areas of the metro area.

One of my first jobs in high school was working for a real estate guy who bought up really dirt cheap homes in the area where the Dynamo stadium is now, and moved them to plots of land out in Santa Fe, remodeled them and sold them to more middle class families. That area then got turned into some high end apartments and other things to support that area of Houston getting cleaned up for a pre & post sports game atmosphere.

I can see a situation where the folks living in those homes were working a minimum wage job, and rented that home for years on the cheap, and the land developers bought the land with the homes, and sold off those homes. The minimum wage worker might have hopped around with friends and family for a few months, couldn't find anywhere to live, got in an argument with family one night, said screw it i'm just going to sleep in my car, and one thing led to another.

This kind of stuff happens all of the time and everywhere. I'm assuming that the greater San Fran area has alot of areas that were gentrified, and that's alot of people got caught in those horrible scenarios. So when I got to San Fran, Berkley, Oakland, etc. I probably see alot of areas where I'm like... hey this is kind of a neat area, and what I don't see is that 10 to 15 years ago that area might have been a cheaper area close to the city that one could live in, where now because of gentrification, thousands of lower income individuals got screwed.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I'm guessing all the gentrified areas in Oakland pushed out The Poors, and Fremont is one of the places hit with the overflow.

East Austin is going through gentrification and pushing their Poors to burbs like Pflugerville. Not as scary, since a Pflugerville dump doesn't cost a million plus dollars to own.