1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Here’s a deal idea I would do:

To Washington
    Tate
    Landale
    2024 BKN unprotected FRP swap (better between Washington and Brooklyn)
    0-2 SRP’s as necessary

To Houston
    Gafford
    Kispert
    2024 BKN unprotected FRP swap (worse between Washington and Brooklyn)

It works value-wise IMO. Washington 1.5x’s their odds at each top 4 pick slot (their priority right now), while Houston retains a top 10 pick no matter what to use in trades this off-season. In about 80% of lottery outcomes the swap would not convey.

Rockets get a good rotation 5 on a solid deal in Gafford, and the rotational wing shooter we need to have functional offensive lineups other than our starting 5. Neither player seems to be part of Washington’s future. Kispert is super cheap now and can be evaluated over the next 1.5 seasons for a potential extension, or be used as a throw in this summer.

Only problem would be whether the front offices have the stomach for a pure ping pong ball gamble trade. Houston really has no use for basically any prospect in the 2024 draft, so I would do it.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I like the creativity, I don’t know if Washington would do it though. I believe Gafford is now their starting center.

baller4life315 likes this.
  3. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

I like it. The pick swap is a good idea. They help themselves secure a top pick while we don't lose our chance at a lottery pick. I would happily add two of our second rounders this year to get it done.

4. TimDuncanDonaut

Gafford is out for a concussion. Bagley played in his place. Had a good showing in a competitive loss against the Knicks.

Gafford is a backup in this league, he's only a starter out of necessity. And their record speaks for itself. Kuz was quoted in saying something in the effect of they can't guard a park car.

There's also critique of Gafford and other starters having lack of effort last month, but can chuck it up to their names being in trade talks and the losing has been getting to them. It's tough to evaluate some of their individual players because their whole team is bad. There's a bit of leap of faith he will be serviceable right away in our environment. Gafford gets in foul trouble easily, also has asthma which some fans think is why he gets winded.

If it's Tate and Landale for Gafford and Kispert, I would still consider. In that deal, I'm more curious at what Kispert's spacing can bring. Gafford as a backup is probably ok? But I encourage folks to judge for themselves. Randomly pick a Wizard game this season and watch a few quarters, that defense is terrible. Wizards is at the bottom in rebounding. Just hoping people's expectations are clear.

#1024 TimDuncanDonaut, Jan 20, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2024
    Little Bit and OremLK like this.
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Right, Gafford is closer to early career Javale McGee than people realize. Still better than what we've got but he has a lot of work to do on his defensive skills.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  6. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Dejounte Murray for Green+2027 Rockets FRP+2024 Brookiyn first top 10 protected. Conveys to 3-2nd round picks.

7. R=$

R=$ Member

I have a feeling Stone will not be "rolling" this trade season.

CantStopJG24 likes this.
  8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Remember what the proposal is. Our trash for your trash with the hope of better fits off the bench.

OremLK likes this.
  9. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Exactly. Having a rotation-quality center sized player who can block shots / and or play above the rim is a club every competitive team needs in their bag.

FVV literally is leading our team in blocks right now.

Gafford has been a positive EPM player every year in the league. He’s one of a few guys out there that could fill the role for us, but it needs to be filled.

BaselineFade and Aruba77 like this.
  10. roslolian

roslolian Member

Since when did OKC turn down assets? They do deals with anyone that's how they amassed their war chest. You always need assets since you can flip those assets for a star. That's why Presti is the best GM he never thinks conventionally like this, if the value of the trade is in his favor he'd do the deal.

That's a already a massive overpay for JDub if that package isn't enough to get him that just means JDub is untouchable which first we don't know if it's true and Secondly adding Jabari to that deal suddenly won't make Presti want to deal.

11. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

They’re at a different phase now, they have plenty of assets left to trade for any star. Why would they give away an awesome young player for just picks? That would be completely insane. Just because presti did something idiotic 12 years ago doesn’t mean he’s going to do it again.

12. R=$

R=$ Member

13. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

14. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I like those two as backup center targets. I’d lean more towards defense and Kelly doesnt help us much with that, but he can definitely shoot efficiently and he’s a good passer.

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Tate's facial gesture.....

OremLK likes this.
  16. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Rockets would be crazy to not discuss acquiring Mikal Bridges right now.

Oladipo, Landale, Tate, Bullock and all their picks/swaps back for Bridges and Sharpe. I believe it's 2 picks and 2 swaps we own. The 2 FRP's we're giving them are worth more than any picks they would be able to acquire on the market for Bridges. No one is giving up a pick where they can guarantee the highest odds in 2024.

Honestly I wouldn't blame the Rockets if they threw Green in this deal. His value is very low to us right now and he's not met expectations thus far. My only issue with it is I know his value would be better if we let him run wild as a 6th man for the rest of the season, at least he will have shown he can have a role on any team while still at that point being under 23.

From a business perspective, Green has made himself susceptible to this with his uninspiring play. I would try not to but the fit of Mikal Bridges on this team - at a discount (because we own their picks) - is something difficult to turn down. Imagine how much simpler the offense would be if Bridges is getting all those catch and shoot opportunities we don't have the skills to take advantage of. He would be able to re-commit himself to defense a bit more. Imagine how well he'd pair with Sengun, how he and Jabari can torch teams off the FVV/Sengun PnR. He would get Brooks and FVV's shot attempts down which we also need to be mindful of so that they stay efficient.

Jalen needs to get his act together soon because I sense he will lose his starting spot or get traded very soon otherwise. Something's got to give, maybe a different offense would be better for him but not for us but we can't allow this to continue without improvement, it sets a bad precedent for the other young guys.

17. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

If they were throwing in Sharpe, I’d seriously consider giving them back everything. Unlike Claxton, Sharpe is under contract next season and will be a RFA after that.

FVV / Bridges / Brooks / Smith / Sengun
    Amen / Whitmore / Eason / Je. Green / Sharpe

18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Im down on Green right now as well and I have said on many occassions that I would trade him BUT I just don't know if I would actually do it.

We have to remember he is still only 22 yrs old and his first 2yrs he was promising. I think the difference with him is KPJ and Silas. The offense was more free flowing, now its structured.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

That's way too much to give up for Bridges and a backup center. Those picks are going to be solid gold--Bridges just isn't that good, and also doesn't fit our timeline. I would offer only 1 of their picks back, take it or leave it. Maybe two if they include Sharpe.

My answer might be different if we're kicking Bridges over to a third team for a younger player. Would depend on the player.

Y2JT likes this.
  20. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I have no doubt that a development guy like Udoka can turn Green into a productive player. Green seems willing but slow to learn, some players are like that about fundamentals. It's just getting to the time where he should be delivering production on the court no matter what else excuse. I think the Nets will end up with a fine player by the time he's 24 years old and learned a lot of lessons the hard way.

The other thing that has changed for me is I see Sengun as a 1A scorer except for an improvement needed to his 3PT shot and I'm confident he'll achieve that. That makes me more comfortable acquiring a 1B or 1 C scorer like Bridges - something I wouldn't have considered before knowing if we have a 1A scorer in hand. The other thing I'm seeing is Udoka's entire career, he isn't fussy about the paint being packed. Shooting does a lot better than driving in his offense. That's why Whitmore is doing well, he can just shoot it. Bridges and Jabari are like 2 Rashard Lewis or Klay Thompson type player who could potentially give us over 90% of the scoring we need to win a title. Whitmore and Amen both in the running to round out that unit.

I would rather give up picks than Green just because I'm a believer in Green and I feel like we know we have a good player if we just gradually improve his shot selection, strength and shot mechanics. However, if I'm thinking what's best for the team, Bridges and Sharpe gives this team a big step up with a crazy amount of room to grow. We'd be a breakout player away from being a young contending team like OKC. Are Stone and Udoka really going to turn down an opportunity like that? I would be surprised. They have given Jalen a lot of chances, Udoka is not typically this patient.