1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen to the BENCH

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jim1961, Dec 26, 2023.

1. jim1961

jim1961 Member

It shouldn't have, but IMO, it has.

That could be the case. But lost confidence is often about falling short of expectations. In a 6th mans role, expectations would be less.

Good question. But its a little bigger than just Green.

2021 Draft
    https://www.sportskeeda.com/basketb...ston-rockets-pick-here-s-full-list-selections

#2 Green
    #16 Alpi
    #23 Usman Garuba
    #24 Josh Christopher

While Alpi is an unmitigated success, Usman and Josh definitely didnt work out. If Green Follows, its admitting that 3 of your 4 2021 draft picks were bad ones.

vince likes this.
  2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Jalen is the reason Jalen is bad at basketball, but Stone was the one who chose to draft him. Some blame falls there IMO.

DaDakota and Crashlanded19 like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Definitely, I 100% blame Stone for wasting the #2 pick in the draft.

Melik likes this.
  4. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

I will never forget when the Rockets tried to sabotage Alpi’s career. I will never forget Stone trying to make KPJ and Jalen the faces of the franchise. He’s a terrible GM, he needs to be fired. I don’t trust him to handle a Jalen Green trade because other GMs don’t respect him.

slothy420, C-Mo and Melik like this.
  5. jogo

jogo Member

If we want to trade Jalen, then we need to keep him starting and hope he has a few 30 point games before the deadline. It so, we need to trade him at this deadline before teams see how he plays the rest of this year. If we bench him now before the deadline then his value tanks.

If we want to keep Jalen, then we can bench him and try to rebuild him. This probably lowers how much we pay him by a lot and I think he could be a good scorer off the bench.

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Jalen doesn't fit, there is 2+ years of data on Jalen, teams know what he is, nothing we do will change that, if they think he will fit they will want him.

DD

7. monster

monster Member

Keep sending him up.

8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Really think about this: Cam Whitmore is starting to take Jalen Green's minutes.

9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

10. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I remember also. Stone's strategy may have panned out if KPJ didnt get arrested and Jalen became the guy many here at the time thought he would be. Unfortunately for Stone, both these guys karma didnt go as planned. In retrospect, Stone did badly.

As far as GM respect, I dont really know what other GM's think, but collectively, drafting Alpi, Bari, Tari, Cam and Amen isnt a bad fetch. Signing FVV and Brooks has seemed to turn out pretty good as well.

So for me, Stone's performance as a GM is mixed.
    What he does with Green and what he does to bolster the team for the remaining year and next will probably determine which side of the fence he falls on for me.

charlieaustin and Chayvan like this.
  11. JW86

JW86 Member

I am as down on Green as the next man, but seriously "blaming" Stone for Green not developing as fast as we would like or not living up to expectations is not on Stone. 100% it isn't.

tycoonchip likes this.
  12. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Putting aside attitude and off court, KPJ was definitely good enough to have a role in the NBA as a combo guard off the bench playing 15-20 minutes a game. He was atrocious as a starting PG though and the org stuck with that way too long before finally having more offense run through Sengun.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's his job to pick the best players, when he picks bad players, it's on him for picking them more so than it is on the player for being terrible.

The player was going to be terrible no matter what, it's just the level of play they are capable of, it's on the GM to not pick terrible players with top picks.

If next year I'm the top pick in the draft, it won't be my fault for not being an NBA caliber player, it would be on the GM dumb enough to pick me and the coaches dumb enough to play me.

14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'm not here to wholesale discount Jalen Green but he's got to lose the rabbit ears and just play.

You can't be in the zone while being self-conscious. Grip it and rip it.

burlesk likes this.
  15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

There are folks that feel judging in retrospect is wrong.
    But if your going to take that stance, Stone also doesnt deserve any credit for Alpi, Bari or any other player that turned out right. Because their success is also in retrospect.

Cant have it both ways.

Crashlanded19, burlesk and B-Bob like this.
  16. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

The kpj pg experiment fked over many of our first round picks that's a fact. We had folks convince Bari was a bust with how he was utilized in the kpj system

Green haters like to paint it that Green just sucks gloss over how detrimental it was to have no vets and kpj role playing as pg with silas as their head coach for two whole season.

Green struggling right now is all Green but u are lying to yourself if u didn't think the kpj experiment had no negative impact on our youngsters and green.

slothy420 likes this.
  17. a time to chill

KPJ as a PG was a dumb experiment. I admit I was hopeful he would grow into the role, but I still don’t understand why they didn’t want to utilize John Wall. It should’ve been easy for KPJ to win the starting spot if he was worth a damn. Also, it would’ve been better for KPJ to be utilized in his natural shooting guard position. Before KPJ got into legal trouble, his trade value was low because he was playing a position he wasn’t good at. If he had been playing as a backup shooting guard he probably would’ve excelled because he’s a good shooter and his trade value would’ve been higher.

But I don’t really blame KPJ for Green and Jabari’s struggles last year. They still utilized a high percentage of the offense, but were just missing open shots.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In fairness, the KPJ at PG experiment wouldn't have had to happen if the Rockets didn't waste the 2nd pick in the draft on a scrub SG that they gave the starting job to based on draft position alone.

If they made a more wise pick, KPJ would have likely been at his natural spot at SG and the team would have been better.....but without the Green pick, the Rockets wouldn't have been the worst team in the league so maybe no Smith, probably no Amen.

Drafting a tank commander at #2 was bold.

19. PatBev

PatBev Member

No.

How did KPJ affect Greens dogshit shooting and overall being a p***y on the basketball court?

And Bari not being able to make basic middle school layups last season was also not KPJ fault. Stop it

gumbleton3 and NewAge like this.
  20. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

How can it not be on Stone? That's literally his job. He is supposed to predict the players will be good and he's supposed to pick them.

slothy420 likes this.