1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 6: Green & Redemption

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Apr 5, 2023.

1. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

No more rolling 10 game update on Green's stats? Must have been a really bad stretch if OP stopped trying to polish this turd.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

It's still a terrible idea.

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I wouldn’t do Jalen for Ivey straight up, but if we could get Duren in the deal I would give upJalen and a lot more. Duren is a budding star and Ivey is a much better defensive player than Jalen. 2 or 3 years down the line we would probably be one of the deepest teams in the history of the NBA. People underestimate the importance of an elite bench.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No it isn't we are better with Green off the roster - and Ivey is a decent backup PG.....to compete with Amen.

DD

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don't see it that way, but factually speaking yes he's been very disappointing on offense for most of the first half.

6. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

the argument that there is no space doesn't work for jalen... he's getting wide open 3s and he's bricking them.

if anyone should be complaining about lack of space, it's alperen.

7. MystikArkitect

Ivey is essentially smaller Amen without defense or rebounding and a little better shooter (but not good). Like a poor man's Scoot Henderson. Granted he's still better than Cade Cunningham. This team needs a SGA type. Someone who can manufacture points at an efficient clip. We're a .500 team because Fred/Jalen might be the most inefficient backcourt in the league. Fred at least brings leadership and structure. Jalen currently brings *nothing*. Ivey would be another inefficient player next to Fred. We need Devin Booker/SGA/Brown/Butler/Haliburton. Someone, anyone that can hit a ****ing shot above 45%. We don't even need them to have superstar upside. Cam/Amen have that they're just too young.

8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Ehhh everyone is still so upset because hes not becoming a superstar, or all star, or star.

But if you tampered your expectationa at the beginning of the year and accepted him for who he is, a role player, everyone wouldnt be as upset. But hes too enigmatic as a player to be ignored because of expectations and he was our first rebuild draft pick.

9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Jalen shoots 31.6% on wide open (6+ feet) threes. He gets 2.5 of those per game. We can check the tape from last night and see that he's not even close on wide open, in rhythm shots.

Video and Shotcharts | Stats | NBA.com

clutchdabear likes this.
  10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Cam maybe, I genuinely see no superstar upside in Amen right now. He's vastly worse than Green and less than a year younger, if Green's a bust then y'all need to re-evaluate all these Amen assertions of stardom tbh.

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

1) I'm not going to waste time pulling out the most obvious stats in the NBA. Pace and space is better for athletic players everyone knows it and so do you. You really want me to sit here and prove that more transition, lobs, fewer defenders in the paint and more tired opponents is not going to help Jabari, Tari, Cam Whitmore and Jalen Green in this league? That's not even a serious argument.

2) I hope we acquire an Olynyk or Sengun/Landale show improvement from 3.

3) When healthy we're like a top 5 defense and roughly 21st offense. We have several young scorers. For about 40% of the game, we should not run a deathly slow pace. FVV and Sengun can run you know. We should run something more like an average pace for some decent chunk of time because the more we run, the more advantageous it is for our guys that run faster, shift quicker, jump higher, have more stamina. Does this sound crazy to you?

4) It is actually kind of crazy that you're saying we shouldn't make things easier for the guys who you're mad at for not doing enough. I don't even know what to say to that. Yes the offense is stalling and I want to see a material improvement in these remaining games, not just the same bad offense while our defense goes from 5th to 4th.

5) Because it's a bad habit. We're not losing because Jalen has a bad habit. We're losing because Udoka's offense is struggling. Everyone can see there are coaches who would have this roster performing better offensively if that was their focus. We can borrow from those ideas.

Ime will improve and so will the young guys. It just doesn't have to be this hard. There's so much more room for improvement than clap clap.

12. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Jalen shoots 45% from the corners, stick his ass in the corner for 15 minutes. We get the fewest corner 3's in the entire NBA what an embarrassment. Let him play above the break when the bench comes in.

Jalen's shot chart is a joke, Udoka needs to tell him to cut out the long 3's and midrange. On midrange he's 41% I can't for the life of me understand why he's allowed to take that at this point in his career. He hasn't earned that at all.

13. MystikArkitect

We must be looking at different things then. It's rare these days to see an athlete like Amen who can also process the game like he does. He's just raw, very much like Cam is. I rate Cam lower than Amen because over time the guys who can process the game at an elite level eventually run the league. The shot is busted, that's for sure. But the rest of is there and even without it he's an amazing finisher at the rim. Something Jalen for example never has been. He's going to be fine. Hate to say it because I really rooted for the kid but Jalen is just really ****ing stupid. And like Ron White famously quipped. You can't fix stupid.

Losmi_34 likes this.
  14. Losmi_34

Losmi_34 Member

With each game, he becomes more and more dissapointing.

For a guy that was getting hyped up all offseason, he's somehow regressed in every way possible on offense. He gets plenty of opportunities, with or without the ball.

For a guy with a top 1% speed and athletic ability, with the supposed work on the "braking" and shifting part of his athleticism, he somehow manages to not go by anyone. In fact, he got slower. He should be wreaking havoc from a high pick and roll, especially when he goes with the bench unit.

His shot is inconsistent and all over the place. He's clearly lost confidence in his shot, and can't seem to string even a couple of efficient shooting nights in a row.

And the defense, even though it's better than before, is still mostly bad. He still gets murdered on screens and is often a step too short of the shooters and cutters. I sigh every time I see him defending the 3, it seems like they always go in against him.

I don't know what's going on behind the scenes, but obviously this is a hard time for him. And it's clearly affecting him in every area. He's playing way too soft and without force, so much that I'm wondering if he actually wants to be better and push through this phase, or he's checed out and preparing to move on.

Early in the year I was more hopeful in him busting out of his slump and lifting the team, but now I'm starting to think that We need to move him, and that the move would be beneficial for both him and the team. IMO he still has potential and can develop, but on this team and with Udoka, it increasingly looks like it isn't happening.

Carpe82 likes this.
  15. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

We definitely look at different things. Amen looks sloppy as hell whenever the ball is in or leaving his hands, his handle aint **** for somebody people are projecting to be an all-star PG. You rarely see an athlete like Jalen, period. But the limitations for Jalen more than IQ or anything else are he's a shooting guard who can't make shots. What do you do with a PG who can't dribble and shoots worse than I did age 11? Jalen at least had superstar flashes in his first 2 seasons, so far Amen's looked pretty useless with flashes of vague competence more than flashes of superstar talent. Let's not forget that Jalen's had 40pt games on 60/50/60, 66/40/83, 63/66/77 and 50/44/100 splits, those are ACTUAL superstar numbers, and it's clear he aint that. Amen hasn't even shown a damn thing that says "superstar" and y'all are steady claiming he's at the top of the talent/potential pool, it's actually crazy.

CantStopJG24 likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

even if the expectations were lowered to that point, he’s still been extremely disappointing…he’s more likely than not a negative every time he’s out on the floor

this dude got worse in year 3…the year where u want to see a leap

17. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I disagree. Hes a solid role player. He definitely has both positive and negative impacts on the game.

Everyone would love to see that yr 3 leap but its not happening. Hope for a 4th year leap and accept that hes an erratic role player. All young role players are pretty incosistent.

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

I just don’t see it I guess…Tari Eason is what I would define as a solid role player…good player who makes a positive impact on the game

Jalen basically just chucks up shots on horrible efficiency while providing weak defense and weak playmaking…he’s genuinely a negative out on the floor a lot of the time

our net rating improves by +7.5 with Jalen off the court, only rivaled by the rookies Amen Thompson and Cam Whitmore and by far the worst of the starters

Jalen has largely been awful aside from some brief stretches

beardsanity713 likes this.
  19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I wish Jalen would be a good role player. In my eyes, a good role player doesn’t shoot much but is efficient and excels in one or more areas other than offensive creation (parameter defense, 3 pt shooting, etc.). Jalen, on the other hand, shoots a ton but is terribly inefficient, he’s not shooting well from 3, and his defensive rating has tanked over the last few weeks. At this point, we’d probably be better if he didn’t play at all.

20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You are the Cassandra of future offseasons.