1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[2023 NFL Draft/1-2] C.J. Stroud, QB, Ohio State

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 27, 2023.

?

Do you like the selection of C.J. Stroud?

Poll closed Sep 11, 2023.
  1. YES

84.4%
  2. NO

15.6%
  1. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Ravens fans, much like us Rocket fans are ignoring the past hoping that the light will flick on over night and the anti clutchness gene will go away.

Very similar athletes to their respective sports.

everyday eddie and cbass like this.
  2. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I know I’m beating a dead horse here, but again, Legette. Because he’s older (5th year SR) he’s ranked low and falling down to the 2nd round. He’s got Will Fuller speed with Nico Collins height. His only struggle is finding gaps in zone coverage but he’s great at man converse and contested catches.

with Nico being elite everywhere, and Dell being elite slot and route running, we need a big body deep threat who can also be a red zone target. Also, Stroud is lights out against zone (Nico and Dell help that) but is worse against man to man, so actually, a receiver that excels where stroud struggles would be better than a receiver that excels where stroud excels.. that way, they make each other better.

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

4. conquistador#11

5. endoftheworld

endoftheworld Member

This is why I say CJ is different and Slo wouldnt be guaranteed any where else.

Stroud is special

conquistador#11 and Fulgore like this.
  6. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Listening to a podcast on The Athletic. Wildcard weekend recap.

one of the questions - “who would you be comfortable taking over Stroud, comfortable?”

“4 QBs. Mahomes, Lamar, Allen… Herbert”

A_3PO likes this.
  7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Herbert? Mahomes for me and that’s about it

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Listen to this from 30min for a couple of min, they speak amazing things about Stroud.

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. clos4life

clos4life Member

JJ is right, as usual.

raining threes likes this.
  12. Qan

Qan Member

Wouldn't mind another blowout win with CJ getting a 78

13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Inject that into my veins..

when ppl talk X’s and O’s In detail and they are praising your player so hard… Man that is refreshing. And the COACHING?! When have we ever heard our coaching praised other than “his player play for him…..” this buy-in is amazing.

Jadeveon Clowney, other world prospect, physical freak, some reports (verified or not) that he wasn’t a hard worker.. plus he has BOB in charge of pulling it out of him?
    Now you got will Anderson being the Clowney we all hoped for. Both run AND pass rush. And you got 10 guys running down the field to block for an 82-yd interception from the 11th.. this team is different than anything we’ve had.

Stroud is a hard worker too. I feel like Watson always said the right things too, and I’m not at all saying I knew what was coming or had any bad thoughts about his play, more so I am just noticing how different I feel when I hear Stroud talk.

This team is so fun to watch, win or lose, and they have been winning a lot.

raining threes and Sooty like this.
  14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm not familiar with their methodology at all - but I would guess this is rooted in YAC. Taking nothing away from CJ, his longest passing TD (Jordan) traveled, like, 3 yards and another passing TD was a WR screen in which Nico did 99% of the work.

Again, taking nothing nothing away from CJ - whose only mistake was overthrowing a wide-open Nico early - but I'm guessing that's why his grade was lower than Love's, despite virtually identical numbers.

15. Hey Now!

Taking everything else off the table, I'd have Mahomes ahead of him, for sure. Probably Burrow, too. Herbert is insanely talented. And Allen is a freak. I think those are the only four I'd think about trading CJ for - again, if we're just talking straight-up talent.

But when you factor in age and salary - I've said this before: there are two trades I'd even remotely consider: Love + assets from Green Bay and the Bears' two first round picks + assets.

I wouldn't make either deal (unless those assets were overwhelming) - but those are the only two offers I'd legitimately consider. We talked about this during the game: CJ Stroud was 21 years old in October!! As great as Mahomes is, you're giving up SIX YEARS if you deal CJ for Mahomes. Age and salary are what make him virtually untradeable.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

When everything is factored in talent/age/contract/controllable years, there isn’t a QB I would trade CJ for.
    But right now, Mahomes/Allen/Burrow I would take over him in a vacuum. I think he can get on their level, which is awesome to say.
    Herbert is physically more impressive but CJ processing is elite. I’m not taking Lamar over any of them.
    I wouldn’t take Caleb or Drake over CJ either, even though I think Maye is going to be elite.

raining threes and houstonstime like this.
  17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Did you miss the 37 yard strike to Dalton? I agree with the overall premise on how PFF grades (YAC not attributed positively to QB) but CJ was dealing. He almost had as many TDs as incomplete passes and if Nico runs the complete route without stalling or looking back midway CJs game would have been historic.

Its all politics and rankings with talking heads dont get too hung up on it!

raining threes and cmoak1982 like this.
  18. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

19. Hey Now!

How many times do I need to post, "taking nothing away from CJ"?.... Because apparently two wasn't enough. No, I didn't miss his TD to Schultz, or any other throw. But in trying to explain why one PFF grade might be lower than another - despite identical stats - I'm guessing it's rooted in CJ throwing two TD passes that traveled a combined ~5 yards.

And just to dive a little deeper: CJ *sold* the screen pass to Nico - fake rolling right, throws back across his body left. Seems easy but isn't at all. So, no - I'm not dimissing any role CJ may have played in those plays developing. But - again: guessing - PFF likely doesn't factor stuff like that into their grades.

Relax.

raining threes and houstonstime like this.
  20. Agent94

Agent94 Member

You don't trade away Michael Jordan or Tom Brady. The season Stroud is having is unprecedented as a rookie. No one can predict the future, but right now he is untradable. Chicago could do a New Orleans and give up their entire draft, and you can't pull the trigger. QB is too important in todays NFL.