1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why it’s time to move along from Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DCRocket, Jan 10, 2024.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I can only say for myself. Green's value can get lower or can get higher. None of us really know. Those who advocate "cutting bait" now seem to be sure that the value will never be higher than now.

@xtruroyaltyx replied my question as "whatever the highest bit is" and you agreed. So you are willing to trade Jalen Green for say a second round pick if that's the highest bit? Or a guy like Aaron Holiday?

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I like the Green for Ivey trade....it balances our roster a bit.

DD

Plowman and Melik like this.
  3. invocux

invocux Member

Long post. We can't be all wrong at the same time. If 90 out of 100 ppl think that he is a glorified Jordan Clarkson then he is a glorified Jordan Clarkson. Bb is not rocket science it's easy to tell if a guy is a cornerstone or not. It turned into bb knowers vs. bb knowers who are way too attached to Jalen Green. I believe that every single Jalen stan here will change sides once he is out because he'll keep making boneheaded mistakes, chuck 3's etc. and they will wake up. Basketball is incredibly easy to digest it's one of the least complex mega sports out there. Honestly sometimes i feel like an idiot watching it because even a f.king baboon can appreciate it. It's fun in such a primitive way it makes me question my own intelligence. Soccer/football is quantum physics compared to bb so i refuse to believe that a Jalen stan is a r.tard. You can not watch this guy 3 seasons and still genuinely believe that one day he's gonna be as good as Booker, Bane or Jaylen Brown. At worst you need a slap in the face to wake up but you do not actually believe that. If you are so talented, so mighty, so unique, a unicorn, a god's gift to green earth a magician a genius a prophet, Zeus' seed it doesn't take you 3 years to figure out not taking contested threes from 40 ft. Mozart composed his first piece when he was 5, Messi was starting for Barca when he was 19. read on twitter that some 16 yo fat **** from Great Britain accomplished something significant that i do not care about in darts the other week. Can he be a late bloomer? No. Late bloomers are generally discovered late and they figure things out very quickly. A kid who couldn't fix his handles in 3 years is not a late bloomer. A late bloomer takes the ball in his hand at the age of 17 and becomes a pro athlete in 1st division 2 years later. Didier Drogba was a late bloomer. Signed his pro contract at 21. He was playing in Guingamp at 24 2 years later went to premier league and became a Chelsea legend. A late bloomer's talents are easy to miss at first that's why he gets discovered later than others. Scouts were following Jalen and he got drafted at 2. They listed his strengths and weaknesses and they did not miss that thing that would eventually turn him into a superstar. That thing doesn't exist. We have his entire DNA. He will never fly, breathe fire. We exactly know what he is made of. He'll be a great 6th man.

4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I certainly don’t know for certain. But it sure seems like minutes are getting crowded. I’m saying my best guess is that his value won’t improve as more and more of his minutes get eaten up. I have no idea what they can get this season or off-season as opposed to next year, so I’m not sure we will ever be able to determine who was / is correct with their best guess.

Easy likes this.
  5. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

If the Pistons need shooting, why are they looking to get Jalen!?

Richie_Rich, jim1961 and tycoonchip like this.
  6. marinara

marinara Member

Getting hard treatment learning to actually play basketball, I said at the start of the season this will be first time in his basketball life he will be put on a " leash " it'lll hopefully be good in the long term, to give up on a 21-22 year old just because they might not be the #1 option is stupid unless you getting someone with equal potential if not greater or a player who is basically an all star already.

I don't even have a love infatuation with Jalen but its pre clear even off the basketball court he is actually worth a lot and GMs will consider that as well in the value.

7. Noob Cake

Noob Cake Member

Because young SG prospects with athleticism + shooting don't exist (or are already stars like Maxey and Edwards)

Now guards with no athleiticism are just role players.

Jalen can't really shoot but his shot is good, and his athleticism is peak.

8. marinara

marinara Member

So why give up on him then?

9. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

You are a Fool

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Aaron Holiday before this season was not even considered a trade chip but someone that would sign for a vet minimum......

11. NewAge

NewAge Member

Very good post. I did a quick search awhile ago, and was amazed to find out that top 2 picks who don’t finish top 2 in ROY voting NEVER become superstars. All the late bloomers are late picks, as you say. It’s not only about the "overlooked talent traits". It’s also a matter of opportunity. Top 2 picks get the playing time and the usage from Day1. Late picks don’t get that. We’ve seen it here with Sengun being underused in his first two years._

I like your list of “when you know, you know" talents, but c’mon we need to start adding CJ Stroud to these lists, don’t we?

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Top 2 picks are really controversial, you can have a Durant or you can have Milicic, Michael Beasley or Thabeet.

Then you have Marvin Williams, Tyson Chandler, Lonzo Ball and Emeka Okafor.

#332 daywalker02, Jan 14, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2024
    Easy likes this.
  13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

You mean because he was in a commercial? That sort of off court value? If someone wants to consider that as part of his upside value to their franchise when making a trade offer, I would love that for the Rockets.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Lol then Yao Ming would have brought in Lebron James and Wade with his value off the Court......

He basically controlled a good part of China and the US....and other Asian countries.

15. MystikArkitect

Value up this season:

Sengun, Fred, Dillon, Cam, Amen, Jeff, Jabari

Value down this season:

Jalen, Bullock, Landale, Tate

Would you trade Jalen + all of Brooklyn's picks for Mikal Bridges and Nick Claxton?

16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I wouldn't.

Joe Rocket and Easy like this.
  17. MystikArkitect

I'm not so sure. The more time goes on the more Jalen's value sinks. I don't think the Pistons would trade Ivey for him nor the Magic would trade Suggs for him. Seems most people just want to ride out his rookie contract to see if one day....maybe....it clicks.

In the meantime we'll be treading water.

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Agree about Jalen, but I want those picks to go into a trade I am 100% sold on and I am not convinced Bridges is our guy.

Joe Rocket likes this.
  19. MystikArkitect

Who then? Look around the league and tell me who we can feasibly get that's an efficient 3 and D SG. Booker? McCollum? Murray? Or are we just going to wait until Cam comes of age?

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He’s still not a trade chip. He played pretty good for 20 games. Now he is back to what he has always been. A vet min journeyman.