1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Bulls 1/10/2024

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 9, 2024.

1. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I think you're onto something honestly.

It was also frustrating to see more movement off ball and through the key when Jeff Green gets the ball in the post - as opposed to when Alpi does.

Roomba and MoochiSmoochi like this.
  2. Risingred

Risingred Member

I still don't understand how Cam slipped to #20. If he can keep shooting 40% beyond the arc with more minutes, it'd be hard not to start him.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Jalen and FVV also carried the game at the start when nobody was doing anything so how come that doesn't count? If Cam gets a pass because he helped tie the game then how come Jalen doesn't get the same pass when he didn't cost us the game and he carried the start?

I don't care what people think of Jalen I just don't like the blatant dumbassery going on when the other player cost is the game but everyone acts like it was Jalen who missed all the shots.

BigMaloe and duluth111222 like this.
  4. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

The one thing we’ve always agreed on is that the less Jalen thinks, the better Jalen is. Even now I still shudder when I see him drive it hard because I’m worried about a turnover, and I think his handles are far too loose to be attempting some of the things that he does.

I do think I’ve finally seen him play well when he’s thinking though, while he’s not making the most advanced reads, some of his passes recently have been more patient and dare I say defense-manipulating? I just want to see progress and when I do I’ll always make a big deal out of it because that’s just how I’m wired, unfortunately

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This is what we call hindsight analysis that provides no actual insight in gameplaning. Do you think an NBA coach will tell a player to not attack space for a lay up attempt because it might bounce the wrong way? A missed jumpshot has a higher chance of being turned into a opposing fast break. So if anything your premise here only makes sense if someone took a jumpshot as statistically it is more likely to cause a long rebound and a fastbreak. WHy would a player assume thier lay up attempt will roll in a way that leads to a fast break?

This is morning sports drive time radio level analysis.

BigMaloe, duluth111222 and roslolian like this.
  6. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'm happy with the leadership FVV brought but we can acknowledge his limitations too yeah?

He's a chucker. He's basically freezing out transition offense at this point. He really only passes the ball to Sengun.

Feel like it's a raised floor/lowered ceiling situation.

anthony59237, Roomba and AuburnRocket like this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

There are a lot of key moments in the game. Who cares whether Cam is a rookie when you talk about missing key movements Cam missed more than Jalen so it doesn't make sense to blame Jalen for missing key moments when the other dude missed more key moments.

OK Cam is just a rookie so in that case nobody should be blamed for costing us the game or shifting the momentum. If you wanna blame someone blame Cam cuz he cost us the game. It doesn't make sense you talk about Green "shifting the momentum" when Cam shifted more momentum.

8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Someone call god, maybe he'll divinely intervene and send us Coby White for Landale.

anthony59237 likes this.
  9. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

I feel bad about totally benching Tate when he was one of the few guys making winning plays during the Silas nightmare.

Luckily I’m not the coach, so Ime, please be more of a hard-ass than I would be and stop playing Jaesean so much

10. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

I am not blaming Alp/JGreen/Cam or the others. I am just explaining what happened at that exact moment.

If Cam scored that shot, it would be 121-114 and "A Bridge Too Far" for Chicago. He missed and we lost.

It is better to lose with Cam or JGreen rather than win with Tate.

Roomba likes this.
  11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I might have to go back and look at the tape, but Green got up right away and they didn't run on us. Lavine just dribbled down hit a pull up 3 on Whitmore, which is not really a mismatch.

12. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

1,000,000x this also...

People are trying to trade Jalen and all but I really hope the team sees how the offense might look with him AND Cam out there while our two dogs are out.

Jalen will find a lot more space on his drives or Cam will. My guess is if you play them both with Sengun either one of them will have a great scoring game because the defense will have to guard both.

Point is. Cam is just too dynamic of a player to move forward without right now. I'm not sure why Tate is still playing, if its that Ime just has a vet fetish and so it's going to take a while for him to bench a vet for a 19 year old rookie or if the team is desperate to fluff up Tate's value and worries that benching him would tank him but either way...I really hope the team does not trade Jalen without trying him and Cam on the floor together more.

I still have faith in Jalen, he's been playing better and coming around and I'm really intrigued to see how a lineup of FVV/Jalen/Cam/Bari/Sengun would look for extended minutes. Just seems like offensively it would be very explosive as each one of these guys are capable of dropping 25....and I know Cam hasn't done that yet but I think it's been pretty clear that if you give him the mins/usage he'll give you the points.

Bo6, jcmoon, BigMaloe and 3 others like this.
  13. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

By looking at our games we are fringe play-in team at the best, so I rather invest our time developing Cam while Dillon is out and just rest Tari for rest of the season. His injury seems pretty bad that he was not even supposed to comeback last months and he was limited to 25 min restriction with no back to back. By looks of it we might be missing play-in with couple games and that’s still pretty good and will not hurt our ego for giving that pick to OKC.

Roomba likes this.
  14. 34to11

34to11 Member

Wasn't Cam expected to be a top 5 pick?

roslolian likes this.
  15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Huge game in the evolution of this team.

On the road...down. Taking it to OT, and almost closing them out.

Good job right on down the line.

Jabari
    FVV
    Jalen looking much better...
    Sengun's huge second half...

And, Cam playing big minutes. For those saying we lost due to his last three shots - We wouldn't have been sniffing it at the end without him. He played within himself most of the time, including some nice D. A harbinger of things to come.

cryout75, Sonicbun8, bro2044 and 2 others like this.
  16. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

lol i watched the whole game. FVV thinks he is a superstar. They have good chemistry, but it can be easy to guard against if you only have those two playing off each other late. Sengun's first half was rubbish, his second half was gold

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

That moment doesn't really matter since Cam messed up like 3-4 other moments and we still lost the game by 5. Even if Green made that one shot if everything else played exactly the same Rox still lost cuz Cam missed 3-4 shots.

18. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Here’s another thing where we agree on with Jalen…he needs to use his speed to make more cuts when Alpi is in the post. Literally almost free points! And three points if it’s an and-one! And only one point if it’s a late-game shooting foul :p

We have literally the perfect group of guys—Cam, Jalen, Amen, Tari—to make explosive cuts and that **** just doesn’t happen enough

cryout75 and Downtown Sniper like this.
  19. MoochiSmoochi

MoochiSmoochi Member

I’m just glad (or sorry) for him that he didn’t ended up going to the Warriors nor Lakers. Either team would’ve made him a next Jaylen Brown out of him already.

Risingred likes this.
  20. invocux

invocux Member

I think Ime finally understood that he's a momentum killer and doesn't work with Sengun. Him and Sengun never worked not even in Silas era in that chaotic ball. They do not click. Tate has an unfixable tunnel vision. He never passes to Sengun and he can't convert Sengun's passes. He is a spacing killer. Starting him with Sengun is a terrible idea.

Roomba likes this.