1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sengun/FVV-centric offense won't survive long term

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Jan 4, 2024.

?

What should we do with the offense?

1. Don't change anything

45.8%
  2. Cut down FVV's 2PT shots and spread the wealth

32.7%
  3. Other

21.5%
  1. BasketballMind

That's a tough read. This offensive system actually is built for long term success. I think it's the personnel OP has an issue with, not the system. The roster as is won't win a championship, but this is a championship caliber system Ime has in place and it's beautiful.

Once the team is in phase 3 the Rockets are going to be tough to beat. They already are and it's because of the system. I imagine Amen running the same plays with Sengun next season with an upgraded roster and Cam having a year under his belt (if one of the two aren't traded). Some players on the team are here short-term but I hope the system is here to stay. Sengun is only going to get better.

Marsarinian and maypk like this.
  2. Newlin

Newlin Member

FVV has been exactly what this team needed, and has been playing terrific. The offense has improved this year and will continue to improve as our young players mature and we build a more complete team around FVV and Sengun. Fred does take a few too many 2pt shots, but he does everything else so well, it’s hard to be too critical. Surround Fred with more talented and experienced offensive players, then I think you will see his assists go up and shot attempts go down.

I think we are just still in a waiting stage. Waiting for our young players to mature and take a larger role.

It should be noted that Fred’s shot attempts are down and his assists are up this year over previous years. A trend that may very well continue.

#22 Newlin, Jan 4, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
    Bo6, DominantBig, Marsarinian and 2 others like this.
  3. MystikArkitect

The plan is for Amen/Jalen to take the reigns once they've gained enough experience. Going to be a few years before Amen's shot is serviceable enough but his defense, rebounding and vision are incredible.

In the mean time....moar FVV/Sengun pick and roll.

4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Member

I wouldnt change anything. This season is about growth and building a winning culture. So far that goal is a huge success.

I would rather have a bottom third offense and give Sengun all of this experience as being that goto guy. Hes developing rapidly, and im excited about how far that goes.

Rather than a mid tier offense where Sengun isn't getting as much oppurtunity.

I think long term, like next year or even later, you are on track. But right now id rather give him every bit of experience and burn as being the guy, that way in 2 years when we are competing and we have to feed him, he'll be incredibly reliable.

As for FVV, we have to deal with his warts for what he provides. If he doesnt step up and take those long 2s, defenses wont rotate off Sengun and allow that short roll pass.

FVV has really helped mature Sengun, by consistently being able to get him the rock in position.

Our offense evolution, will have to come from one of our guards who grow enough to warrant much more responsibility. Right now Jalen doesnt warrant more responsibility. Maybe him or Cam in the future become that guy, but we have to wait for that someone to dictate those terms.

5. a time to chill

The stability Fred has brought to the team on both ends of the court is the main reason we’re above .500. Also, Sengun has thrived with FVV initiating the offense. The Athletic praised FVV’s midrange proficiency as a big reason we’ve improved from last year. I don’t agree with sacrificing wins to create opportunities for players that are underperforming. You can’t let your foot off the gas in a competitive west. Every win matters.

NBA shooting rankings: From Thunder to Magic, each team’s greatest strength and weakness
    https://theathletic.com/5155758/202...er-celtics-lakers/?source=user_shared_article

MadMax, maypk and BaselineFade like this.
  6. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm fine with the system given it's 30 games in. I will be annoyed if this is the system at the end of the season. We have no alternative if FVV/Sengun are failing in a game. We don't have good off ball action or transition to help them. It's a lot of stress on already overextended personnel. FVV and Ime have to make a better decision here.

7. conquistador#11

You can play 4 different offensive styles with Alpi. We've seen all of them lately, stuff that has outlasted the 1800s and used heavily by other teams to this day. So the offense can survive decades long maybe not the cast at PG with him playing 200 minutes a night. That's my only worry.
    I do Agree that with a couple of more looks Jabari would be averaging Chet numbers.

8. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Offense and defense are related. The Rockets offense overall has been below par because they play a lot of defense-first players and don't have many good consistent, developed offensive weapons. Also, the Rockets, as much as Nook complains about this, are very deliberate on offense and slow the game limiting their and their opponents transition opportunities. The Rockets need better shooting if they are going to play as much half court as they do to open spacing for guys.

I should point out as the Rockets have been involved in a few more high paced games lately, the offense has been the 11th best over the past 10 games while the defense has fallen off to 19th over the past 10 games.

Long term, I think the Rockets need to find a point guard to replace FVV as he's likely just a crutch. Maybe it will be Amen.

9. durvasa

durvasa Member

I’d like Jabari to get a few more scoring opportunities on offense, but otherwise I’m fine with the FVV-Sengun offense. They are out most consistent and effective weapons.

Curious what Jalen’s splits are with and without Fred.

Mathloom likes this.
  10. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Just to address the point that's being repeated and keeps getting repeated: yes the offense is stable and yes everything else FVV is bringing is extremely valuable. You don't have to convince me this is the safest option in the short term. There's no reason he should see less minutes, fewer 3pt shots, fewer playmaking opportunities or anything like that. It's not a reasonable argument to say let's give Fred 2PT shots because he's good at other stuff. Let's just keep him on the floor and let him make decisions that have the future in mind more than his future paycheck.

Just on the shots where FVV decides he's the best option, if there's an equally good option for 2PT shots, go with that. FVV is never ever ever going to be good inside the 2PT line guys, it's not going to get better with time he's at the tail end of his prime. The only exception is if we put him in a 5-out offense where all 4 other players are actual threats from 3PT range. But we're not building a team around FVV. We're building it around Sengun and others. Let's not foget that.

If the opponent is chasing us off the 3PT line, then Fred should simply stop being an option. We know this from MDA days, it means there's a mismatch or opening somewhere else on the court. I'm trying to be nice here, but scoring wise he's one of the worst rotation players inside the 3PT line in the NBA. Almost everyone on the team is better than him there. I'm not making a radical argument here. There are equally good or better shots available. It's not hard to see. We don't have to revamp anything. We just give like 2 of FVV's shots inside the arc to someone else. You choose who. I'm sure you think Jabari, Cam, Amen or Jalen can handle it. Are all 4 of them incapable of handling this meager task?

Btw, as bad as even Jalen has been struggling, he's scoring identically to FVV overall. Roughly 17 points on 14 shots. So since FVV is so much better at 3pt shooting, why do you think it is they're tied overall? It's because even Jalen Green is better inside the arc, much better. I have no doubt that Cam and Jabari are better. I have no doubt Amen will be better, he's already finishing at the rim at 70% or something (iirc Nook mentioned this). I also have no doubt our offense would be better off is those shots went to a tired Sengun.

It's a change we should make. I think there's a lot of optimism about the second half because of strength of schedule being low, but the veteran teams are waking up as they usually do after Christmas. The NBA is always harder in the second half. We're going to need it.

#30 Mathloom, Jan 4, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2024
    anthony59237 likes this.
  11. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

I'm honestly more worried with our defensive rebounding. Us not rebounding better were a big factor in our losses. We started off hot in rebounding, but have regressed in the past few games.

12. NewAge

NewAge Member

13. backwardhead

backwardhead Member

First off, I am loving this thread. Good quality discussion. Except the "meh...expectations" comment.

I suspect that what we see now is not what we will be seeing by the end of the year. Or the beginning of next year. I agree though that we can't keep riding FVVs midrange.

I think Alpi is going to just get better as his new role becomes his old role. He'll process faster and I hope that means more for Jalen and Jabari.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If FVV shots significantly less from MR, opposing teams won't defend against his shot in MR, and cut off passing lanes. Cutting FVV's 2PT shots significantly would likely strangle the Rockets offense as the Rockets offense depends heavily on FVV being guarded inside the arc, and passing out or passing to Sengun or a cutter.

Edit: To be clear, I am for trying to minimize MR shots or other inefficient shots like FVV close to the rim. I just don't think the Rockets have the personel to shift the offense away from FVV and Sengun. I'd like to see some other things worked in, but I would not cut the FVV/Sengun offense for it.

Easy, Mathloom and Newlin like this.
  15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

This is the Peak of this offense in terms of FVV's ball dominance. He will have less and less control as the years of his contract go by.

I hope eventually he becomes the 2nd unit general for another 4 years after his initial contract is up. Leading us to another 1-2 title wins, cementing himself as a 3-time NBA champion and one of the best role-players of all time.

....and then i woke up.

16. Mathloom

Supporting Member

It's really easy. One of Amen/Cam/Jalen have to develop the PnR with Sengun. Once Amen is ready to stay on the floor for key stretches, then you pair him with Amen/Jalen and we have two good pairs to run the offense.

What they lack in PnR efficiency, they can make up with WAY better lobs and transition opportunities than FVV is providing. We are one of the worst transition teams and probably execute the fewest lobs in the NBA. We're one of the youngest and most athletic teams in the NBA (Cam, Amen, Green, Tari are lighting on the break). We have 2 amazing passers and one (Amen) potentially amazing one. We're the 7th worst transition team by PPP. I know Udoka is not happy with that. He's talked recently about getting better in that area.

You make a great point about the MR, but again it's not a good position to be in that - as I've bolded above - the Rockets offense is strangled if 6'0 Fred Van Vleet reduce his 2PT shots a little bit. That's an insane concentration risk, and in any playin/playoff series will predictably be the reason we lose.

17. Ankara1923

Ankara1923 Member

As we had unfortunate Silas/KPJ/Lionel Hollins/Jeff Hornacek years, any new staff is welcomed with positive discrimination.

FVV is good with Alp as any average to decent PG would be (see D. Schroeder, D. J. Augustine). Udoka is good for getting wins as Deignault-Snyder would be.

We appreciate FVV+Brooks+Udoka but it doesn't mean that we should ignore the deficiencies. I remember the description of quality as "suitability for the aim" (more or less, consider translation effect). All three are quality employments at the moment but whether they will be enough for '26 WCF or more, it's a different subject.

Rockets has a wonderful core, should rise to the occasion and grab the opportunities. No one should be let to destroy the party.

Championships after 3 decades, that's the aim.

18. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

I like the midrange shots as long as they’re open and good quality looks. Every top scorer utilizes outside of Giannis.

NewAge likes this.
  19. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is not easy. They aren't ready. Sure, when there are better options, go away from FVV/Sengun. Until such time, keep going with the best offense...and by far it is FVV/Sengun right now.

Though, if Cam keeps shooting like he has been, he might get more time to help the FVV/Sengun 2-man game be more effective or be an option when those two aren't on the court.

Mathloom likes this.
  20. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Has the NBA figured out Sengun's Euro streetball routine?

Mathloom likes this.