1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The closest is probably he just pulls up for the three or two....but mostly three now. The normal jumpshot, I do not know about his mechanics but they tend to go in now.

2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Here you've nailed a major problem with Jalen. He thinks he needs a go-to shot so he's always working on weird difficult things like off balance jumpers and long 2pters. I think that's why we hear he works hard but then we don't see improvement in fundamentals. Rather he seems to continuously expand his jack of all trades strategy with scoring.

Jalen's go to: force-switch him onto a forward or C, he takes 1 or 2 steps back, attacks full force. On its own, his first step is unstoppable as far as his defender is concerned. That shot is available to him more than a stepback 3 will ever be. He just needs to learn to do it when there's an opening at the rim rather than just based on his mood.

Imagine if Kareem was developing a skyhook before he could shoot or finish inside. That kind of shot comes into play in rare situations. Jalen is not good at making open or contested shots for most of this season, we shouldn't be rushing to ADD things to his game like middies, signature moves, floaters, etc. He still needs to be able to make wide open catch and shoot 3's and finish at the rim - the two very basics of scoring, the things that keep your efficiency high.

I feel like he's so behind but I do get the feeling he's catching up finally. Maybe it was always meant to be that the pro will blossom first (Sengun), then the guy with college expderience (Jabari), then the guy with practically no pre-NBA experience (Green). Green was practically a HS player, the others were not. HS players always take longer to develop, except Lebron James.

Ime said he did some film session(s) with him to discuss how teams are guarding him and what's available to him. This seems to have helped in the past 3 games. Let's hope we can get a streak of Jalen scoring above average for 8 out of 10 games while continuing to provide passable defense (enough for us to finish top 10 defensively). That would be a good step.

#1482 Mathloom, Jan 2, 2024
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Not sure I see a whole lot of difference in the way he's playing. Maybe a little more movement without the ball and taking what the defense gives him. Kind of hard to tell just from the eye test, because it's a difference of marginal degrees, and he's still taking a lot of the same kinds of unnecessarily-difficult shots.

But he's definitely shooting it better, so hopefully the cold streak is over in that regard (knock on wood).

BallSoHarden and Ancient Moabite like this.
  5. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

It’s a bad idea for an NBA GM to have relationships with other GM’s and do discovery to understand their needs so you can work to align on a potential future deal?

This is Stone simply doing his job. He doesn’t have to mention names if needs aren’t aligning and talks aren’t progressing just as in the professional b2b world when a rep is talking with a prospective client they shouldn’t be discussing products and services they are pitching until they’ve had the preliminary discussions to first lay the groundwork on prospective needs.

What I’m saying is the front office simply needs to understand demand for Jalen so they can determine what the options would look like. No doubt they have already done this if they are half good at their jobs which could be a question we ask ourselves.

If it gets out there from other GM’s leaking that the Rockets are probing Jalen’s value then it would either be a breach of trust on talks that have progressed (which potentially bombs the deal for them) or is them highly speculating and reading between the lines.

If let’s say Danny Ainge tells Stone “I’d be looking to add some athleticism in our back court to increase our pace and probably need to stick between 8 to 12 million in salary to match” it would be a pretty bush league move for then Ainge or a Jazz front office source to go to Woj and have him announce that the Rockets are shopping Jalen Green just because Stone didn’t immediately hang up the phone.

What I’d be asking Stone to do here is not that big of a deal and something he should be doing anyways if he is half good at his job.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The biggest part of the last 3 games was Jalen making 3's, if he can maintain being a better than .500 3 point shooter, then he has good games (though only 2 of the last 3 were legitimately good).

We'll find out if this is just a random hot streak or if it's just another fluke.

Clearly the key to him turning his career around will be developing into a quality shooter rather than a streaky one.

7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

he seems like hes tries to shoot that dribble into the free throw area pull-up/ fadeaway jumper as his "go-to" shot.

he can practically get to it anytime he wants but the problem is he shoots terribly from there.

#1488 BigMaloe, Jan 2, 2024
  9. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you're needed in the Melik thread :cool:

10. Melik

Melik Member

Avarel thread , Daltons need you :)

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Wow you boys have been busy this holiday season! I think WW1 was started for less than the insults that have been thrown around here! Sheesh! My Turko-English translator go brrrrrrrrrrr!

Os Trigonum likes this.
  12. Ancient Moabite

Which is why I speak on here about him showing AS flash with games but not with consistency (7/10 good games)

You always want to finish strong since they claim that's adjustment/winning time, so I would prefer a strong second half over the first, but I would like consistency for each half but if you can go for 18-20pts in a quarter the best thing is to stay engaged in defense and making right pass etc

Shots will either be made or missed, which is attached to all players (TS%), which is what I was talking about that you took to left field for some reason

A lot of players are an enigma or some call them mercurial, Green is just a inconsistent talented player trying to find weekly consistency which is finding and keeping his shot at this current few game stretch for 20+ straight games

13. Ancient Moabite

Most guards(straight out of high school) coming into their NBA 3rd year is still working to master the perimeter with shots they typically make/take comfortably

His shot is just what the league is about, and he just came out of a long cold (lot of misses) stretch and is on a small hot (makes) streak

He needs to go from 3/10 good games to 7/10, that would make this team a dangerous play-in/off threat

14. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Exactly correct. He’s a make or miss player.

OremLK likes this.
  15. Ancient Moabite

Which all players look better when they make more than they miss, on a consistent basis

The NBA is a make or miss League, so that would apply also to Curry and all other high or low volume shot takers

Dobbizzle likes this.
  16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Nobody looks better when they miss…but some offer something else when their shot isn’t falling. We have guys on the roster like that right now, and this isn’t a special team. Jabari will find a way to contribute even when his shot isn’t falling, for example.

Curry is the greatest shooter of all time…I’ll give him a pass on other parts of the game when he has an off night.

Y2JT likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yawn, there is not much dangerous about the Play In. It is merely another extra game or two.

It just looks that way because for the last 3 years, the Rockets could virtually beat nobody but now they can beat about anybody.....but they could also be beaten in return.

#1497 daywalker02, Jan 2, 2024
  18. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Lol he's going to get **** for that Green comment. I think Green has a higher ceiling than anyone on the Knicks but he definitely is no where close to being a star..... yet.

jim1961 and maypk like this.
  20. Ancient Moabite

If Curry shot is not falling he doesn't offer much else, its a long list of great/damn good shooters in NBA history, so should they get same treatment as Curry?

Jabari may find a way to grab 10 boards but his claim to preNBA fame was being a dead eye shooter with range, which is what his haters used as diss fuel his rookie year but he is much better this year as expected

The Rockets will be much more dangerous if Bari becomes a consistent lethal shooter from all areas than him grabbing 10 boards a game (but still needed)

Chris Jackson (Abdul rauf) was every bit as a lethal natural born shooter, rather off the bounce or catch n shoot

The most important thing today for scoring guards and big men with range is shooting, make or miss

And they went from basically dead last to now top 10 team defense, with Green in the starting lineup, so he must be doing what Ime wants

Because when his shot is not on he is right on the bench where he should be for that game

Make or Miss league is brutal for those who miss more than they make, especially after the first 3-4 yrs of experience