1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Start Eason - bench Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaDakota, Nov 29, 2023.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Very good and reasoned post.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This guy gets it. Pay attention DD.

shakes05, Easy and Rocketeer like this.
  3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

And your logic is faulty.

Jalen is the only true 2 guard of the group.

Brooks is a 3 who can defend the 2.

Tari is a 4 who can play the 3.

Neither of them has the on ball skills required to displace Green as the starting 2.

You aren't going to ask either of those guys to run a pick and roll set as the ball handler. They might be the pick man but not the ball handler.
    You need a secondary ball handler no matter who else is on the court.

Cam is the only other true 2 on the roster and he isn't ready for that role either - maybe next year.

You know how I feel about Green .... was one of the few who wanted Scottie Barnes instead of him or Mobley -

But I don't like the idea of Eason / Brooks at the 2 and 3 spots. They don't have the on ball skills to be that second ball handler nor can either beat anyone off of the dribble. They are 3D / hustle players that get theirs as it comes to them ....

#383 Corrosion, Dec 26, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
    cdxiong, shakes05 and Easy like this.
  4. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I agree the plug should have been pulled sooner. Perhaps because the game remained close Udoka stayed with him so long.

Just a guess.

5. lockedin34

lockedin34 Member

It’s asinine to think that dude can’t get buckets. The reason he’s not playing, beyond us just having a lot of good wing players ahead of him, is because he doesn’t move the ball. Bad tunnel vision. Which we actually need in that spot

shakes05 likes this.
  6. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

My two cents: Don't judge Jalen, yet but give Tari his chance to be a starter!

7. Germanturk

Germanturk Member

Green had more then enough chances but ist time to bench him for Tari! Second Pick or not!

DaDakota likes this.
  8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Ime said in postgame that Jalen is struggling to read the game properly. Not passing when he should, attacking when he shouldn't. Sounds like he's completely broken right now because under Silas, he could just jack up whatever he wants without consequence. Now that a real coach is making him accountable, we see how often he is making mistakes.

AroundTheWorld and DaDakota like this.
  9. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Jalen Green is flat out costing this team games - if you don't want to start Tari at SF and put Brooks at SG - start Cam.....

Green can't guard, can't shoot, and is killing us......he is an empty shell on the floor right now, he needs a good dose of pine, just make up an injury and let him sit and learn for a bit.

DD

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Jalen is only just starting to learn basketball.

The disadvantage of the Ignite route to the NBA, and the 2 years of no accountability tanking.
    The losing would have been more tolerable had our young guys learned to play basketball, but it is what it is.

It may be time soon to put Green on the bench and ask him to earn back his starting spot.
    I don't buy the argument that he can create - his dribble is weak and his decision making worse.

We badly need Green to score 20ppg - but it doesn't look like it will happen....

AroundTheWorld and DaDakota like this.
  11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Jalen's collapse has pushed things to the point of urgency with Cam where they must try him in the rotation just to see how he performs against non-scrubs.

The big question is whether Cam will be even worse than Jalen at understanding team concepts on offense and defense. The notion "he can't be any worse" doesn't seem far fetched now.

I'm not a Cam fan but since we are still in the experimental part of the regular season, they should give him 5 mins at the end of the 1st and 3rd quarters for a couple of games.

DaDakota likes this.
  12. DaDakota

Supporting Member

It is more than that, we are getting out to slow starts now because teams are targeting Jalen and he can't shoot, they are funneling the ball to him because he is bad at basketball.....we need competent players as starters.

I said this ****ING DAY 1 - you should have to EARN your minutes, and starting Green was and is a mistake, he hasn't earned it, and it is now costing the team winnable games.

The dude is just not good at basketball.......if this was his rookie year I would want to see him in the Gleague working it out.....but the org and Ime don't have the BALLS to do what is right for the rest of the team right now concerning Jalen.

The org has gone from belief to HOPE in regards to Jalen - they will soon hit the pray he develops phase before some get fired for waiting too long for a turnip to bleed.

DD

13. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

14. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

15. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I hear ya, even if you don't know how to properly quote things....but I think while we do that, we lose games because of it, and it is costing the rest of the players what they should be earning.

Look, I am sure we all like Jalen personally and so does the team, but they aren't stupid they see what is going on out there.

Jalen's flaws and him trying to play within a structure for the first time EVER are being exposed and it is hurting the Rox chances of winning.

DD

16. Tankeio

Tankeio Member

It seems like the Rockets have been starting games with less defensive intensity but build it as the game goes on. If Jalen is not scoring, he definitely ain't providing defensive intensity. Someone like Tari could definitely bring that intensity at the start of games. Maybe then we wouldn't have to dig ourselves out of a hole every game.

If not Tari then maybe Holiday because he is clearly the better shooter and defender.

17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Eason's lack of touch around the rim and slightly off BBIQ / decision seem like they will be serious limiting factors for him, which is a shame because the dude has some insane strengths otherwise.

18. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think his lack of a left hand is maybe his biggest limitation, it affects his finishing around the rim in traffic and pretty much keeps him from being a real ball handler type .... and why you don't play him in place of Green.

The guy that's in his way minutes wise is Brooks - Tari was the main reason I didn't like the signing at the time. I thought he should have gotten the starting 3 spot, then they go give Brooks $80m.

At least he's getting ~20+ minutes a night behind both Brooks and Jabari.

Pulling the plug on Green likely means Holiday gets more minutes .... the other options being Cam and the two SG's on 2 ways Jeenathan Williams & Nate Hinton.

Easy likes this.
  19. DaDakota

Supporting Member

Bullock?

DD

20. Old School74

Old School74 Member
    Supporting Member

No