1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I swear, Stone repeats the same 20 - 30 words every press conference. Not that I’m complaining. No real need for the GM to show his hand.

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Stone laid out his strategy when he first took over. He has followed the road map exactly. He deserves a hell of lot more credit than he gets on this forum. Not many teams have ever had this quick of a turnaround from full out tanking to relevancy and flexibility this fast.

3. Houston77

Supporting Member

I was playing around with the trade calculator. Without trading FVV or Brooks, it would be difficult to cobble salary together for 40+ mil dollar guy, though not impossible. For example, Green, Oladipo, Landale, and Tate for Lavine works from a money perspective. The same package works from a money perspective for Mitchell (he makes 33 mil / yr).

4. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yeah, you gotta include at least one of the high first round guys to make it work. Not ideal but I suppose we're probably not acquiring a guy getting paid that kind of money without sending out a good young player anyway.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

EDIT: I mentioned a contract of Reggie Bullock but my info was wrong.

#625 ROXTXIA, Dec 19, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2023
  6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Where are you getting this info? Everywhere I can find has him as a $2M player.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  7. ROXTXIA

I saw it on ESPN Trade Machine. Maybe they changed / corrected it.

(S***, you're right. It did say that at one time. I'm going to fix the post containing my inadvertent lie.)

EDIT: Actually, I can't be hallucinating. ESPN Trade Machine still lists Bullock's contract at $11,000,000. But according to Spotrac, it was $3 million something. Which is obviously more likely.

#627 ROXTXIA, Dec 19, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 21, 2023
  8. Houston77

Supporting Member

Don’t worry. I made that same mistake for a while, haha.

9. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Getting a better backup center is the easiest improvement IMO.

Corrosion likes this.
  10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think it was in an article listing each teams tradeable assets, I read it a few days ago and thought "uh oh - someone didn't proof read!!"

11. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Jeff Green steal your pudding?

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Jeff Green is 6'8"
    More of a backup 4 that can occasionally play center IMO.

13. ROXTXIA

Talk about a letdown. Major soft-on. I thought we had highly valuable trade garbage.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

...and yet since Landale lost the backup center position, easy to acquire backup "centers" have gotten their @sses handed to them by the 6'8" more of a backup PF much more often than not forcing opposing teams to go small when Sengun sits for Green.

15. jim1961

jim1961 Member

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Don't forget, it's not just money, its roster spots too - the team receiving all those contracts cobbled together to reach the matching amount has to have an open roster spot for each one of them.

They can cut / waive them after the fact, but they must have a roster spot to land in.

Lopsided trades are difficult to pull off during the season because of that fact. They generally occur during the offseason when rosters are expanded to 20.

In the Lavine example, Chicago would need 3 open roster spots with Lavine being the 4th.

17. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It would be interesting to see if we could play 2nd fiddle in moving Donovan to one of those teams, and perhaps bring back one of their pieces!

18. Houston77

Supporting Member

So, some may hate this trade, but how about LaVine and Drummond for Ja. Green, Tate, Je. Green, and Oladipo? I wouldn’t send out any major draft compensation in this trade. Rather, the Bulls are getting a potential LaVine replacement in Green and two win-now players in Tate and Je. Green. Our rotation would be:

FVV / Lavine / Brooks / Smith / Sengun

Holiday / Amen / Eason / Drummond

LaVine gives us what we need – a historical 24 – 25 point scorer who can space the floor. Drummond is the defensive big we desperately need who will take over backup big duties until we find a long-term third big. We hold on to Landale and hope he either recovers well from his injury, or he continues to be a tradable contract.

Eventually, you hope Amen will replace FVV, meaning our “core” will be Amen, LaVine, Brooks, Smith, Sengun, Eason, and Whitmore. Add another big, and that’s a deep team that still has several developmental prospects and strong draft assets going forward. Contracts actually lineup pretty well because an Amen and/or Whitmore extension would kick in in the 2027 – 2028 season, right when Brooks and LaVine would, theoretically, come off the books.

19. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

With the talk of Mitchell leaving Cleveland and Brooklyn being interested how about we get in the mix to get Bridges. Including some random nets to make the salaries work I got something like this:

Cleveland receive: Jalen Green, Oladipo and Giles.

Brooklyn receive: Mitchell

Houston receive: mikal bridges, Watford and Lonnie walker.

We provide the nets picks we already own and get a significant upgrade at the 2 who fits Ime's style far better. Who says no?

20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Hate to break it to y'all but a Jalen Green trade is not bringing back a player like Mikal Bridges.