1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. conquistador#11

1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd. Plus Pick swaps in 2044, 2045, 2047.

Where is he going to play though?

2. OremLK

OremLK Member

Five picks or players of comparable value

So here are the two most realistic options for what the Rockets could send:

Option A
    Victor Oladipo, one young player (Jalen, Jabari, Tari, Amen, or Cam) and Jock Landale (if needed for salary filler)

PLUS:

Four first rounders:
    2024 Brooklyn, 2026 Brooklyn, 2028 Houston, and 2030 Houston

Option B
    Victor Oladipo and two young players (out of Jalen, Jabari, Tari, Amen, and Cam)

PLUS:

Three first rounders: 2024 Brooklyn, 2028 Houston, 2030 Houston (we would seek to avoid giving up that potentially-golden 2026 Brooklyn pick if Ainge will let us get away with it)

---

Would I do it? That price is pretty steep. I think I would do four first rounders/equivalent. I'm high on Lauri and his fit on this squad, I think he's exactly the type of player we need next to Sengun. Five might be too much though. We'd have virtually nothing left in the cupboard for any other future trades, even for roleplayers.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

The first part of this is all about the Cavs. Specifically, what they might do in response to the news that
    Evan Mobley and Darius Garland are getting surgery and will be out till February.
    One of the most obvious things they could do is trade Donovan Mitchell.
    The Rockets are even mentioned as a potential suitor.

That said, the Cavs would likely want Green and a huge haul of picks.

IDK if this is good for Houston or not, but it looks like the window might open for Donovan sooner than was previously thought.

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.
  4. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I personally don't want him! Yes, he's a great player that is relatively young, but he's also a great player that is relatively young who also wants to play in NYC! I would rather the Rockets pursue Lauri if he can be had... highly doubt that he want's to go home and play professionally for Finland....

Go Rockets!!!

DeBeards and OremLK like this.
  5. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

crazy you would take Lauri over Donovan. Lauri was basically a throw in when the Cavs traded for Mitchell. Mitchell would be our Murray to Sengun's Jokic.

I've seen Mitchell in the playoffs and it was amazing,

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

Lauri is not the same player he was when traded to Utah. His breakout has his offensive efficiency around the same level as Mitchell's. He's not as good of a passer, but he's a much better rebounder.

Mitchell is a great player too, but I'm not sure about the fit. Mitchell is very ball-dominant; their whole offense is built around him. He would take the ball away from Fred, Sengun, and perhaps eventually Amen, and I don't know if I like that idea. I'm highly skeptical of ball-dominant players who are not also top 10 players. Mitchell thinks he's the #1 option, but he's not good enough to be the #1 option on a championship contender.

I think Lauri plays a little better off the ball and would be more accepting of a role as a #2 option, or at least #1B.

Regardless, it's all a moot point if Mitchell wants to be in New York. If I'm Stone I'm not trading for a guy who is just going to ask to be traded again soon.

BamBam likes this.
  7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Yeah but Mitchell would be a rental. I can't imagine him staying here long-term.

HP3, BamBam and topfive like this.
  8. topfive

topfive CF OG

Do not want that punk. I prefer watching him throw tantrums on someone else's team. Since we're not winning a chip this year or next regardless, let's develop our 6'7" rookie PG instead of giving up half our assets and hoping the 6'3" (if that) guy doesn't kill our defense.

9. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Rentals are cheaper. Cuz I for sure wouldn't pay 5 first round picks for Lauri. That would be terrible.

comrade, j@amc and jim1961 like this.
  10. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

For me it's more about who we are upgrading from. I think we can all agree that right now our worse position is SG. Jalen is way too inconsistent. The upgrade from Jalen to Mitchell is much greater than Jabari to Lauri. And if Amen truly develops then he's thes the perfect compliment to Donovan.

jim1961 likes this.
  11. OremLK

OremLK Member

Does Jabari have to lose a starting role if we get Lauri? Perhaps Jalen is out in that trade too and we run with FVV/Brooks/Jabari/Lauri/Alpi?

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

What if he did though?

(I wouldnt even consider trading for him otherwise)

#592 jim1961, Dec 18, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2023
  13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Mitchell is an interesting name, but I've heard he plays poor defense (haven't seen him play a while).
    Not that this would differ from Jalen Green, if true.

14. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

And here I’m hoping to eventually see a lineup of
    Amen/Green/Cam/Jabari/Sengun

with 30 minutes of Tari on the bench.
    I’m a simple guy though with simple dreams.

OremLK likes this.
  16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

What if FVV grew 5 inches over this next off-season?

One is just as likely as the other.

17. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Like both Lauri and Mitchell. Problem with Markkanen, is he really a shot creator.

Id trade Green and all the Brooklyn assets for Mitchell if he would extend for 3 extra years. Id include a frp from us. But I wouldnt include any other players.

18. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

I just mentioned him recently as a trade target. When Jeff Green and Jae Sean Tate are the guys who come in and are asked to score then we have a serious problem.

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

I would call Lauri a secondary/off-ball shot creator. He gets the opposing team's best defender usually, and shoots a lot of contested jump shots, but still scores at high efficiency. Similar role to what KD has always played.

For me, that's the ideal guy to have next to Sengun on offense. He can sit out there at the perimeter and receive passes when Alpi is double-teamed and just knock them down over his defender. You can't double them both, y'know?

Lauri is also a good cutter without the ball, which is something we've missed this season.

Shark44 likes this.
  20. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Jalen Green and Jock Landale
    for
    Donovan Mitchell and Jarrett Allen

:cool: