1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. a time to chill

Can we still have Filipino night if we trade Green?

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Please stop this. Eason is on the bench not because of Green but because of Brooks. Your idea of starting both Eason and Brooks is a bad idea only those who are desperate to dump Green would like.

We are still waiting for the "trade Jalen" crowd to propose a realistic trade that would make the team better.

The argument back and forth is basically this: Will Jalen Green be a better player if we keep him? You seem to be so sure that he won't, just like you were so sure that KPJ would be a star. The fact is, nobody really know. We are all speculating when a 21-year old player is being coached to play the NBA game for the first time in his life.

It is conceivable that we could trade Green for a decent role player SG (still waiting for a proposal though) and make the team slightly better now. It would be a proverbial high risk low reward kind of trade. You get a decent upgrade in the present but risk missing out a possible high reward in the future.

The thing is, getting a decent role player SG isn't difficult with the assets we have. The worst case scenario with Jalen Green is that he remains the same inefficient player two years from now and we just let him walk or sign him to a cheap contract. We can still trade for a decent SG at that time, the same kind that we could get by trading him now.

So keeping him is a low risk high reward move. Trading him is a high risk low reward move. Which do you think is a smarter move?

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Some are on the Bench Jalen not just for Eason but for someone else, starting off the bench is not really that bad.....it gives you purpose to come in and produce.....

4. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Comparing two players stat lines is checkers - join the rest of us in the chess game where actual player value is far more complex and contextual. KPJ and Christian Wood are two sad examples of recent Rockets players who check on court production check boxes and yet have very little value in the league. You aren’t going to find that on a basketball reference page but people who understand the chess game know it’s true and teams showed that with their actions and particularly the very best teams didn’t even consider grabbing them.

The Lakers grabbed Wood literally as a desperate last resort at the end of FA because their roster construction forced them to take more risks than the average team. I mean the only reason KPJ even got a chance here (playing on the WORST TEAM OVER THE LAST THREE YEARS) was because he was essentially a reclamation project. That’s why even after he had proven he had talent, his next contract was so incentive laden and had team options on so many years. Those aren’t the types of contracts players sign when they have other options….

…so you can go build the undervalued ‘Bobby the great checkers player All Stars’ but read the room that every smart person in the league has access to the same stats you do and determined the same thing I’m telling you here that KPJ is not a player you want on your team - period. It’s not even about KPJ’s stat line vs Jalen’s stat line. This isn’t a checkers game or fantasy basketball for that matter.

Richie_Rich likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You screeching impotently about other players in an effort to deflect from the conversation about how harmful Jalen Green's poor performance has been is pretty transparent.

The facts are that Jalen being on the court this season has hurt the team and there are several more deserving players on the team that should get the starts and a lot of the minutes.

No deflection attempts can change that.

6. fattz

fattz Member

I am the one saying sell from the beginning when the value was there. If you can find a buyer you should probably sell even at the low. ie Blockbuster Video stock is not coming back. RFA in 26 if we pick up his 10M a year extensions. That cap space could go to a contributing player vs a someday maybe if things work out but the potential is there player. I am not a Green hater it’s not working out maybe there a place he can go that will send us something back for him. I wish him well against any other team other than ours.

Corrosion likes this.
  7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

You are the one saying KPJ is better on this team than Jalen - my point is less on Jalen’s merits and more about how KPJ barely belongs in the league.

I get it -you really want to go out of your way to make sure everyone sees your point about how bad Jalen is - but while you are desperately trying to prove THAT you just throw whatever bullshit comes to your mind comparing him to other players and then you get yourself in trouble because you make dumb arguments in your comparisons that undermine your main points about Jalen.

I’m talking about how bad KPJ is for teams and you want to go back to how bad Jalen is when YOU said KPJ was better than him. Jalen can be bad AND KPJ can be worse. If you want to argue for the opposite then you are at odds with a lot of very smart people and that’s fine if you think you have a point to argue but given by the frequency of your posts, I think you are just responding to react rather than actually putting any thought at all into your content…and that makes you a troll.

So which is it - do you have a real point about how KPJ is better than Jalen aside from an 2d reading of stat lines in an 3d world or are you an idiot or worse yet a troll? If you are just going to shitpost all over the place then I’ll just hit that ignore button now.

8. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The initial point is about how there are CURRENTLY players on the team that would help the team more if given most of Jalen's minutes and starting spot because he's been absolutely awful this season. Would KPJ also be better starting at SG for the Rockets? Sure, I mean KPJ is at least capable of knocking down 3's which is something Jalen is incapable of doing at a decent rate, but that's irrelevant because that's not an option due to his actions off the court.

Trying to derail the entire conversation by brining up other players is clearly what you are trying to do here.

This discussion is about how Jalen Green brings nothing to the table, he can't shoot, his handle is weak, he's not a creator, he's not a plus defender....he's just a guy that can run fast and pray for a whistle to bail him out. That's why the team has done so well when they've benched him even for guys that are career journeymen that have been on 5 teams in the last 4 years. You don't have to be good at basketball to be better than Jalen, you just have to have even one thing you do well....because that's one more thing than he has going for him.

9. PatBev

PatBev Member

According to 2k my league trading Green & Brooks for Ausar and sign OG Anunobly makes us a dynasty

Currently 2027 and just won my 3rd ring with

Amen/FVV
    OG/Whitmore
    Ausar/Whitemore
    Jabari/Tari
    Sengun/Capella

Y2JT likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I start the best players, I don't care what is popular, look who is finishing, clearly Ime agrees.

Yes, I am out on Jalen, he will never be a star player, we should move on. By the time he is due up for an extension he will still be 3 years away.

Why am I out - he is a great athlete that has low BBall IQ, low skills and that doesn't add up to being even good.

We will get better with a regular more consistent player.

DD

Entropy likes this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

we have already picked up the extensions. It’s a done deal. Tell me what you would trade him for that makes sense for both teams.

12. fattz

fattz Member

Him, Tate & the fist Brooklyn pick
    for
    Hendricks and Olynyk

Start Hendricks 6’9” without shoes. (young fits the core) at the 4 —> spacing, rebounding, defense and can finish at the rim. He is a role player nothing more. Then move Smith to the 3 (his size takes him to another level, maybe all NBA one day, he can get some JG4 touches), let Eason get starter minutes playing behind both Smith and Hendricks. Brooks moves to the 2. We get bigger and better. We start to make moves that makes ALL our players strengths better and cover their weaknesses. Pick up a backup big along the way as well. TEAM basketball.

Why for Utah? Olynyk is the last year of his contract so no loss, they have 5 power forwards & 3 centers. Tate gives them another trade asset on a value contract for next season. They pick up a FRP & Green gets new scenery in an un-established backcourt maybe the change unlocks him. Green would not be close to Alfa there but his skills as a scorer would help the Jazz. Ainge gets chance at a big reward with very little loss.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

What does that have anything to do with "popular"? :confused:

So if your best five players were all big men, you'd have a starting lineup of 5 bigs? You need a balanced lineup. Plenty of 6th men or even 7th men are better than some of their starters. You don't start them because you need skillsets complementing each others.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Exactly.

Easy likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Can this be correct?

Carpe82 and Dobbizzle like this.
  16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I mean, I just go off the eyeball test and I don’t look at near the amount of data that a lot of people on the board do.

I do think that his defense has been significantly better. He is often average to slightly above average now. he seems to be learning to leverage his quickness to get around screens a little bit better on that end.

Carpe82 likes this.
  17. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

[​IMG]

18. AlperenSengun

AlperenSengun Member

BallSoHarden and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. Rokman

Rokman Member

No.

20. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

I've never seen someone actively sabotage his future earnings in a contract year(essentially). There's absolutely no way I'd offer him more than 12 a year.

fattz likes this.