1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's time to start thinking about moving Jalen before the deadline

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Nov 2, 2023.

1. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Correct. The problem is people think he's hit rock bottom as far as being an asset. He hasn't and his value will keep going down because he's a guy that can jump real high with very little basketball skill to go with it. Sengun has improved in his 3 seasons, Jalen has not. Jalen and his trainer have no ****ing idea what to work on to make him better.

Plowman, bmelo, clutchdabear and 2 others like this.
  2. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

I'd also love to have it factored in somehow - how many turnovers he has on his drives into the key.

Can't miss a shot and bring down the .705 when you flat out lose the ball half the time.

3. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

Whether or not he is "the guy"
    I don't think trading him returns much value so our best bet is to develop him and there's no real way around that
    The nba has changed and you can't just ship players around for great returns and FRP's are extremely valuable now, also free agents are going extinct

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

His value is that he is not blocking better players that help the team win, it is addition by subtraction.

He has to be responsible to develop himself he has not - time to move him.

Free Agency is real, we just signed 4 in Brooks, FVV, Landale and Green.

DD

fattz likes this.
  5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

You don’t need to calculate individual variables because team math is not computational. At some point a “team” is more valuable than the sum of its parts - that’s why every coach in the wold preaches “team first” concepts. KPJ was never a team player despite being a great individual talent and also - those off the court transgressions count. No one cares how good you are if you keep yourself off the court for reasons not related to basketball and no one cares how good you are if it comes at the expense of all your teammates.

I think Green’s last game is a good example of a fairly pedestrian stat line that that would suggest a bad game but I thought aside from a sluggish start from frankly ALL the starters, he REALLY was a key player for his team. He took mostly decent shots, went on a run to get his team back into it, and then as soon as Memphis started to collapse on him after the run, he made a series of really great reads to get his teammates good looks and he mostly held his own defensively.

KPJ may have scored more points in that same game but also would have wasted a lot more clock, not got his teammates involved, and likely gives up a few buckets while arguing a call at the other end…and we aren’t even talking about how he kills team dynamics by his selfish style of play.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, so in short, despite the fact that literally all of the evidence shows Jalen is terrible and he's detrimental to the team, he's actually awesome..... then a bunch of incoherent babbling about unrelated players.

Very convincing argument

7. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I tried looking that up but the Stathead event finder didn't give the option to filter turnovers by location.
    It did give a list of each turnover but I'm not going thru the list of every single turnover in his career to find out where they occurred..

Jalen Green | Event Finder | Stathead.com

Downtown Sniper likes this.
  8. bmelo

bmelo Member

yeah he may be working his ass off but he obviously been working on some **** that doesn't translate. he gets into the traffic and gets his stuff blocked like teenage kid still. even his pull up jumpers are so contested he airballs them often

9. fattz

fattz Member

Jalen is asset management. If he is not the answer because we are now asking real questions. Than let us get something in return for him instead of letting him walk at the end of next season. The longer we keep a depreciating asset, the less it is worth. We all remember watching “WOW” basketball to keep that pick from OKC to obtain him. I paid so my family could suffer by going to a few of those “games”. Get something back; take care of the fan base. If he turns into greatness like a Phoenix rising from the ashes so be it because because it wasn’t happening here. The landscape crew is coming anyway with a truck full of new NEW greenery. So if a burning bird gets away we will still be okay. We seen him as a bit of a flamer but it has yet to consistently translate on the court. So far he just mixes in with ash. Maybe someone take a chance on him.

I would rather have a few good cookies then a whole wedding cake that is under baked. The timer is gone off. The tooth pick has batter on it. We wedding will happen with or without the cake.

Is anyone hungry for Turkey?

10. NewAge

NewAge Member

That's a biggie right here. Many fans' mindset in 2021, mine included, was "this is horrible, but let's pray we get a 1-4 pick in this supposedly best draft since 2003". Then we got the #2 pick and everyone's expectations went super high. We got Jalen, and his highlight reels were amazing, media was high on him, the G-league coaches were raving about work ethics and what not...

Summer league comes in, he has excellent game and a half but then he gets injured... but it's OK, it's summer league. So we were all super-high still.

Then for me, Media Day comes and the dude mumbles something about fashion and other BS, like some little byttsch... preseason games he plays like a freaking ballerina, he can't box out, gets splattered on screens... Uh-oh!!! That's not the guy!!!! At least for me that was when the realization came, others took longer...

Bottomline is, if it wasnt for that emotional rollercoaster of suffering in 2021, the nervous lottery, the hype and the expectations, etc. I don't think the fan base would be so negative on him right now.

fattz likes this.
  11. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Jalen can’t walk until 2026 and he will be RFA in 26. Sure wouldn’t want you running my portfolio when you want to sell low.

GOATuve likes this.
  12. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

anti green haters just sprout random bs without knowing how free agency works is astounding

13. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

It's absurd but you're trying to reason with people who already have their minds made up

14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I have to disagree with your bottom line statement - There isn't a player out there that'd be better than Jalen.

There are players you could probably acquire that are statistically better than Jalen Green, what they don't have is the upside that many believe Jalen has.

The expectations that we had for Jalen - We wouldn't have those lofty expectations for anyone we could realistically trade him for.

But you can't tell me this team wouldn't be better off with any number of players in place of Green who has had more poor games than not thus far.

15. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Sengun has played well the first part of this season, his first 2 have been below average. The moment he slightly plays better than Jalen, all of sudden Jalen has no basketball skills? Yeah Sengun fans are the worst of all time. Sengun will go through a rough stretch and I hope you keep the same energy you had for Jalen Green

Carpe82 likes this.
  16. Rokman

Rokman Member

I was talking about Jalen. If you read the post I was replying to it was only about him.

DaDakota likes this.
  17. MystikArkitect

Ok. Like who that we could realistically get?

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Right now we get better because Eason plays.

DD

19. invocux

invocux Member

Hated him the moment i watched his mixtape. It was just dunks nothing else. If a player is being advertised as 'athletic' or 'explosive' you just know that he is trash. "X is generational" X isn't generational and will get repeatedly injured throughout his NBA career and will never reach to his full potential. "Y is a generational defender" means that Y needs to be spoonfed to score. "Has a lot of promise as a ball-handler" do not give him the ball. "Most of his weaknesses are just additional elements that would put his game over the top to an elite level" he will never be elite because? too many weaknesses. "He looks like AD 2.0 at times" He looks like Drummond 98% of the time.

20. jim1961

jim1961 Member

[​IMG]

We live in the era of a generation that expects instant gratification.
    You ask for patience?

dmoneybangbang likes this.